E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Homelink (Garage Opener) for condo residents

01-30-2008, 11:43 AM   #1
shipill
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Macan S

Homelink (Garage Opener) for condo residents

Can someone help me! I have read every thread on this site .

I can press the outer two buttons and get the system to reset itself. But I can not get my door transmitter to link with the homelink buttons on the rear view mirror. the problem is I live in a condominium please tell me what to do ?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 11:45 AM   #2
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
honestly...simply read the user manual.

should be really easy to set up. you click the button you want on the mirror for like 20-40 seconds (forgot, refer to manual) then it will start blinking, then you press your transponder, then it will be hella blinking and you know ur done
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 12:41 PM   #3
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Just because it's called "home-link" doesn't mean it won't work in a condo. Unless BMW is in the process of developing a "condo-link" and "townhouse-link"

I know when I programmed mine, I had to get out a ladder and reset the actual opener, then follow the programming instructions. Give that a try.
      01-30-2008, 12:57 PM   #4
shipill
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmulax View Post
Just because it's called "home-link" doesn't mean it won't work in a condo. Unless BMW is in the process of developing a "condo-link" and "townhouse-link"

I know when I programmed mine, I had to get out a ladder and reset the actual opener, then follow the programming instructions. Give that a try.

we dont have access to actual opener in building , that's why i said the problem is I live in a "condo"
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2008, 10:32 PM   #5
MB330
Major
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2018 BMW 330i  [0.00]
2006 E90 330i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipill View Post
we dont have access to actual opener in building , that's why i said the problem is I live in a "condo"
Change battery in your remote control and try again.
I spend more then 2 hr first day, try to program HL (my Acura and Nissan was 2 min job). And almost decided use remote control. Then I change battery and 3 min later damn HL work. Year after I change door open motor and again reprogram remote in 2 min.
Good luck.
      01-31-2008, 10:41 PM   #6
shipill
Major
Canada
Rep

Thanks MB330 , I'll give it a try
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2008, 10:16 AM   #7
SGxi
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi

Garage List
2007 328xi  [0.00]
Don't press and hold your remote when you try to get the signal to sync with homelink, press it couple (may be many) times until the light blinks to confirm it's sync'd up...
      02-01-2008, 10:39 AM   #8
e92drivver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmulax View Post
I know you were joking but the joke makes it look like BMW built & named HomeLink. FWIW, HomeLink is a brand owned by Johnson Controls not BMW. So BMW wont be building any remote products or naming them. BMW licenses the technology as does all those products using HomeLink (lighting controls, garage door openers, gates, etc).

Just a little info for those who may not know that BMW is not responsible for the HomeLink name, HL products offered or how the HL technology works. You'd be surprised how many people think everything in a BMW is built by BMW.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2008, 10:48 AM   #9
NPDAN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW DCT M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [8.00]
07' E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGxi View Post
Don't press and hold your remote when you try to get the signal to sync with homelink, press it couple (may be many) times until the light blinks to confirm it's sync'd up...
+1
I live in a condo as well and had no issues when establishing the link...
      02-01-2008, 10:58 AM   #10
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e92drivver View Post
I know you were joking but the joke makes it look like BMW built & named HomeLink. FWIW, HomeLink is a brand owned by Johnson Controls not BMW. So BMW wont be building any remote products or naming them. BMW licenses the technology as does all those products using HomeLink (lighting controls, garage door openers, gates, etc).

Just a little info for those who may not know that BMW is not responsible for the HomeLink name, HL products offered or how the HL technology works. You'd be surprised how many people think everything in a BMW is built by BMW.
Like you said, I was just screwing around. But you're right, Lear provides the Z4 seats, HK does the sound. Johnson Controls does their part. BMW just puts it all together.
      02-01-2008, 11:09 AM   #11
am_ver
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A6

Your dealer should be able to give you a 800 number to talk to someone who will walk thru the process. Mine didn't work either and that helped me a lot.

2008 e93 335i, 6sp MT, Montego Blue, Saddle, Burl, ZSP, Bluetooth, iDrive, PDC, V1+CD
2007 e92 335i coupe, 6sp MT, Montego, Beige, ZPP, iDrive, PDC
2006 e90 325i, ZPP, iDrive, Arctic, Xenon
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2008, 11:55 PM   #12
Soni
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Just a car

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [9.00]
I have no problem and I live in a condo as well!!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2008, 12:49 AM   #13
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
There's a 1800 number in ur user manual that you can call to help you setting up homelink.
Usually the step missed was the "rolling-code" set up, you will need to actually go to the garage motor and press the "learn" or "connect" button in order the receiver to acknowledge the signal sent from your car.
      02-03-2008, 02:31 AM   #14
shipill
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soni View Post
I have no problem and I live in a condo as well!!
please explain to me thanks . I have tried 1000 times but no luck
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2008, 09:16 AM   #15
importsrhot
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

i am having trouble also. I think i've synced up my remote to the homelink button and now it's blinking really fast. Does that mean that all I have to do now is press the learn/connect button on the garage door and press the homelink button for it to work, or do I have to reset it and start over since it's been more than a day?

'06 330i - Alpine White - Terra - Premium
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2008, 09:28 PM   #16
speedgod
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335

Try holding the transmitter right next to the homelink buttons. That is the only way I got mine to work.

-Taylor Knox
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2008, 10:45 PM   #17
e92drivver
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipill View Post
Can someone help me! I have read every thread on this site .

I can press the outer two buttons and get the system to reset itself. But I can not get my door transmitter to link with the homelink buttons on the rear view mirror. the problem is I live in a condominium please tell me what to do ?
I know you wrote you've read every thread but maybe you missed this one. Did you try the instruction document found in this thread? If not, follow the instructions then substitute programming step 3 for Canadian programming instructions.
My opener throws one short burst and it wasn't enough to program the HomeLink mirror. The Canadian programming step (not sure why its called that) seemed to do the trick. Basically it involves cycling your opener until HomeLink has a chance to learn the code.

Its also worth mentioning I had been using a mini universal opener. That would open the garage door but wouldn't program the HomeLink mirror. I had to use the original opener (pushing the button over and over) to get HomeLink to learn the code. My house gate also required I use the Canadian instructions. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2008, 10:51 PM   #18
MB330
Major
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2018 BMW 330i  [0.00]
2006 E90 330i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e92drivver View Post
I know you wrote you've read every thread but maybe you missed this one. Did you try the instruction document found in this thread? If not, follow the instructions then substitute programming step 3 for Canadian programming instructions.
My opener throws one short burst and it wasn't enough to program the HomeLink mirror. The Canadian programming step (not sure why its called that) seemed to do the trick. Basically it involves cycling your opener until HomeLInk has a chance to learn the code.

Its also worth mentioning I used to carry a mini universal opener. That would open the garage door but wouldn't program the HomeLink mirror. I had to use the original opener (pushing the button over and over) to get HomeLink to learn the code.
HA! Thank You!
I try to find this document - you just post a thread where I post this instruction.
      02-05-2008, 11:00 PM   #19
e92drivver
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB330 View Post
HA! Thank You!
I try to find this document - you just post a thread where I post this instruction.
Thank You! I've seen the instructions on various websites like the HomeLink site. But they weren't all in on place so I didn't combine the steps until I looked at your document. Your post from a year ago helped me get my HL working. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2008, 01:57 AM   #20
DetailAddict
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328i

I just picked up a 328i myself and had issue programming the homelink at first. do this...

- press and hold button 1 and 3 for 20 seconds or until rapid blinking.
- press and hold the desire button then pres and hold the hand held remote
- wait until the LED blinks rapidly.

at this point if your homelink is programmed, your garage door should either open or close depending on the previous position. Now if this didn't work, immediately follow the instructions below WITHOUT DOING ANYTHING ELSE!

- press (DO NOT HOLD) the program button on the garage door opener
- press the desire button on the home link THREE times

at this point if your homelink is programmed, your garage door should either open or close depending on the previous position.

it's basically the short version of what's in the manual, you just have to read it word for word, line for line, step for step. No matter how simple the instruction might be, you just have to follow it like a little baby.

good luck!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2008, 12:33 PM   #21
e92drivver
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetailAddict View Post
I just picked up a 328i myself and had issue programming the homelink at first. do this...

- press and hold button 1 and 3 for 20 seconds or until rapid blinking.
- press and hold the desire button then pres and hold the hand held remote
- wait until the LED blinks rapidly.

at this point if your homelink is programmed, your garage door should either open or close depending on the previous position. Now if this didn't work, immediately follow the instructions below WITHOUT DOING ANYTHING ELSE!

- press (DO NOT HOLD) the program button on the garage door opener
- press the desire button on the home link THREE times

at this point if your homelink is programmed, your garage door should either open or close depending on the previous position.

it's basically the short version of what's in the manual, you just have to read it word for word, line for line, step for step. No matter how simple the instruction might be, you just have to follow it like a little baby.

good luck!
Pressing the HL button 3 times is part of the Alternating-code hand-held transmitter programming procedure in the manual. That is necessary if shipill is programming from a rolling code remote. Shipill can find out if he has a rolling code remote by following the instructions in the manual.

From the manual:
If the system fails to function even after repeated programming, check whether the original hand-held transmitter uses an alternating-code system. To do so, either read the instructions for the original hand-held transmitter or hold down the programmed memory button of the integrated universal remote control (HomeLink). If the LED on the integrated universal remote control (HomeLink) flashes rapidly for a short while and then remains lit for about two seconds, the original hand-held transmitter uses an alternating-code system. If it uses an alternating-code system, program the memory buttons as described under Alternating-code hand-held transmitters.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2008, 12:41 PM   #22
snipersix
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Retired 2017 F87 M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
sorry to hijack the thread but, I would just like to ask if the 2008 328i sedan comes with a homelink system. If not, where can I get a homelink system to have it installed in my 328i?
2017 M2 Coupe:|Black Sapphire Metallic|DCT|Nav/Idrive|M Performance CF Spoiler|M Performance CF DCT Interior| M Performance Gloss Black Kidney Grills| M Performance Steel Pedals | Eventuri CF CAI | 19" Brixton Rims | KW V3 Clubsport |
Retired: |2008 328i Sedan|Montego Blue|
Appreciate 0