E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Washing Black Saphire Metallic. Need Help!

11-10-2010, 05:31 PM   #23
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Yeah. Don't use the squeegie. Good idea in theory, but in practice it's a huge no-no.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 05:51 PM   #24
GTiceman
Parrothead
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2020 BMW X3 M40i   [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
use a waffle weave microfiber towel to dry, make sure you deluge the car with water before that way you minimize the amount you need to dry ... also gently pull the mf across the surface, never rub
See Garage for Mods
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 07:56 PM   #25
rja328
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xdrive coupe

I just picked up a new Black Sapphire 328 last night. I asked the dealership not to detail it. It had lots of swirls. I spent all day today detailing it using primarily blackfire products. Wash with 2 buckets and grit guard; clay entire car; polish (using PC7424XP and Lake Country white pads); Sealant using PC and red pads. This was my first time using the PC and I am very pleased with the results. There's probably still some swirls there but I would have to get the car in sunlight to see them. Not much of that in the Boston area today.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 09:13 PM   #26
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by rja328 View Post
I just picked up a new Black Sapphire 328 last night. I asked the dealership not to detail it. It had lots of swirls. I spent all day today detailing it using primarily blackfire products. Wash with 2 buckets and grit guard; clay entire car; polish (using PC7424XP and Lake Country white pads); Sealant using PC and red pads. This was my first time using the PC and I am very pleased with the results. There's probably still some swirls there but I would have to get the car in sunlight to see them. Not much of that in the Boston area today.
Very nice, sounds like you did a great job! Just in time for some nicer weather too - sunny for tomorrow and this weekend, so go inspect your work then.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 11:54 PM   #27
E92murdered
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

thanks for comment what do you recommend for drying?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherbln View Post
The absorber doesn't have any way to trap dirt particles away from the surface and thus will just drag any dirt directly across the paint. Unless the car and absorber and completely dirt free (extremely unlikely) it will introduce marring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by driverman View Post
I use both of these:

- high quality, 100%, made in the USA, cotton towel with the edging removed
- high quality microfiber towel

I haven't tried the absorber.
      11-11-2010, 07:21 AM   #28
Dr. G
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black e92 335i

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
Detailed Image - waffle weave drying towel
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 07:37 AM   #29
Rickstir
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xI Couple

I have a 2009 335xi Black Saphire Metallic and love the color and car when it is clean, but getting it clean and keeping it clean are time consuming.

I use the following products and do not have any swirl marks !

1. Wolfgang Auto Bathe
2. Two bucket system with grit guards in the bottem
3. Dodo Juice Supernatural Wash Mitt "Wookie's Fist ( I was up and down the car, not in circular motions.)
4.As I am washing, I keep the car wet, constantly spraying the car even where I have already washed it.
5. Cobra Guzzler HD Waffle Weave Drying Towels, 16 x 24 inches (These towels absorb a lot of water and do a great job leaving no lint behind.
6. Carnuba Waxing, I use either Dodo Juice Purple Haze PRO Soft Wax or I use Zymol.
7. Hard Waxing I use Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger

Hope that helps...Car is almost two years old and have not had too many problems keeping it clean. I do find if I rush the wash job, or do it in the direct hot sun, it will look like crap.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 11:34 PM   #30
driverman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i 6MT - SOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92murdered View Post
thanks for comment what do you recommend for drying?
I use:

Best quality microfiber towels
AND
Best quality 100% pure cotton towels with edges removed

I've experimented with dragging the towels over the paint, light rubbing and medium hard rubbing (over a small test area). Nothing scratched the paint, probably because the towels were very soft and the car was close to perfectly clean (nothing abrasive on paint surfaces).

I've been VERY careful removing bird droppings. I wet the spot and a very soft cotton towel with water, drag (no pressure) the cotton towel over the dropping, keep rotating the portion of the towel I use and repeat until it's all gone. Then I rinse with water. It's worked every time with no scratches.
Appreciate 0