E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > e92 and kids/baby seat

06-25-2010, 06:18 AM   #1
mistry
Captain
Rep
Drives: F11 530D

Anyone have this combo? is it a problem trying to get a little one in and out the back?

As you can imagine we're chuffed to bits with our first on the way, but not sure the e92 will be overly practical.

Also thinking now might be a good time to switch the e92 as it has 7 months BMW warranty, and will be easier to move on whilst under 3 years. Not sure what it's worth, fully loaded 2008 57plate 335D m sport 27k, any suggestions?
(when I say fully loaded I think the previous owner ticked all the boxes, cost over 50k when new)

cheers
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2010, 06:33 AM   #2
jjbirch
Banned
Rep
Drives: E60 530D M SPORT

Garage List
didnt take you long m8 lol, u only just got married lol,i moved from a E46 coupe to a E90 about the same time as my wife had one on my way, tbh if its just the one kid i would of had a E92, as the front seat does slide up a lot when getting in the back,if i had more than 2 kids i think it would have to be E90-91 all the way or 4x4,if i were you try it for a bit you have a lovely car and your not going to get no where near what u want for it,just add extra bmw warrenty to it for piece of mind and see how it goes, its not like its a high mile'r car
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2010, 06:47 AM   #3
Captain Chaos
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: cars n stuff

Yeah I've got the same and it's not easy. Had an e90 previously and that was fine, get the right seat and it makes life easier with the e92 and you learn to manage by sliding the seat all the way forward and climbing in the back, but that's a royal PITA after a while... It's awkward enough that I don't ever stop looking around for another e90.. :/
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2010, 07:04 AM   #4
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

I would have thought its not easy and moving the electric seats each time is mega slow and annoying. I have kids seats in the back of mine for very occasional use and the kids can climb in themselves. To have to reach in a seat each time would not be easy.

One hint is to get an easy to use seat, for our second we bought an infant carrier with an isofix base, a Britax one. The base stays in the car and you simply slot the seat onto the base each time. The seat we had for our first used the car seat belt which you had to pull out fully and then feed through the seat and tighten, mega awkward and that was in a 4x4 with the seat right at your level.

I would def consider swapping cars, and a 4x4 is much easier to use for kids as the seats are at a level. I had an E91 and although 4 door it wasn't that easy as you had to drop the kid seat into the car and then lean in.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2010, 07:48 AM   #5
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistry View Post
(when I say fully loaded I think the previous owner ticked all the boxes, cost over 50k when new)

cheers
Don't you have to power button on the upper part of the back rest?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2010, 07:53 AM   #6
mobileadam
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320d e92 M Sport

I had an e46 and now got an e92 fitted with a Maxi-Cosi Toby car seat and think it is very easy to get the baby in and out. Originally we had the quick fit base for the baby carrier seat and that was really easy just to swing into the car. I found the e46 better for pushing the seat forward and then returning to the position for the passenger as the e92 doesn't come as far forward and is a bit more sticky to put back. I like the fact I can sort of climb in easily if I need to. The light e92 doors over the e46 makes it easier too.

I lug the baby (well two year old now) in the car nearly every day and have no problems and the boot is bigger enough for all his crap.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2010, 07:58 AM   #7
RCUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 911 Turbo

I went to buy an E90 .. but ended up getting an E92 after my wife tried to prove to me it would be hard to get a baby seat in!

Electric seat forward and the MaxiCosi babyseat dropped straight into the seat base.

Worked really well... and a he was a very happy bunny.

One other thing... when they get older and are front facing - no worries aboiut them opening the doors!
      06-25-2010, 08:14 AM   #8
Statler
Major Pain in the Arse
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 320D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCUK View Post
One other thing... when they get older and are front facing - no worries aboiut them opening the doors!
Just disable the rear doors...

I'd a Calibra when our first came along and when he was in the front on the very baby seat it was fine but when he moved to the not so baby seat in the back it became a real chore to get him in and out. Once he was on his feet it became easier but the Calibra went before that...
I was gutted to lose the Calibra (yes, you can all laugh) knowing I probably could have hung onto it. I know I'd be gutted to lose the E92, nice as the E90 is.. Try it and see, you never know it might be OK!

HTH
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2010, 08:19 AM   #9
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statler View Post
I was gutted to lose the Calibra (yes, you can all laugh) !

HTH
One of my dream cars back in the 90's
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2010, 08:52 AM   #10
Captain Chaos
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobileadam View Post
I lug the baby (well two year old now) in the car nearly every day and have no problems and the boot is bigger enough for all his crap.
Another good point I forgot.. We've found the boot isn't near big enough given that all 4 seats in the cabin have bums on them.

This is probably down to my other half spending the entire national debt of south america on a freaking buggy that does everything including a 12 minute lap of the bloody Ring, but it does raise a valid point to consider when buying baby stuff that you have to fit it all in - and a big buggy pretty much hogs the whole space.. (although, keeping it relative, the boot isn't too much different from the e90)

God I sound so negative today..

Anyroadup, in summary I'd say definitely try it, as you can see it works for some and not others, you may be on the lucky side.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2010, 09:11 AM   #11
dar2008
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 and E92 M3 Comp

You could always change for an E93,... you get lots more space to drop the little ones in the back seat
      06-25-2010, 09:22 AM   #12
Captain Chaos
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Also very true - was the first thing I said after getting home from trading out the convertible and re-fitting the car seat in the coupe!!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2010, 11:09 AM   #13
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla p85d

I manage ok in mine. Like others said getting in and out is the hard part. Once in it takes both my kids and Mrs with enough space. Its a good compromise I think because it does family duties as well as being something I enjoy driving.

The saloon would be easier but only the getting in and out part. I would live with it unless your due to change anyway. I would get a Tourer. But for me we have a 4x4 aswell.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2010, 11:58 AM   #14
mistry
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbirch View Post
didnt take you long m8 lol, u only just got married lol,i moved from a E46 coupe to a E90 about the same time as my wife had one on my way, tbh if its just the one kid i would of had a E92, as the front seat does slide up a lot when getting in the back,if i had more than 2 kids i think it would have to be E90-91 all the way or 4x4,if i were you try it for a bit you have a lovely car and your not going to get no where near what u want for it,just add extra bmw warrenty to it for piece of mind and see how it goes, its not like its a high mile'r car
no it hasn't been long. if it's a few days early it will make an anniversary present.

some good points there, and I'm quite happy to give it a go, my only dilema really comes down to should I sell the car now thinking i'll probably find it a pain and want to change it a year down the line, where it may have lost a fair bit of value.

As for the vert idea, I like the thinking. but it's due in late September, not ideal for the winter.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2010, 02:43 PM   #15
mobileadam
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320d e92 M Sport

Most prams seems to come apart when necessary. My wheels came off (a Quinny) plus the base so I could shove various parts in different spaces when needed. But if you do have a pram that isn't very flexible you could be in trouble.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2010, 03:36 PM   #16
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dar2008 View Post
You could always change for an E93,... you get lots more space to drop the little ones in the back seat
Easy for the seat in/out BUT there is no boot space left with the roof down, certainly not enough for baby essentials and a pushchair!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobileadam View Post
Most prams seems to come apart when necessary. My wheels came off (a Quinny) plus the base so I could shove various parts in different spaces when needed. But if you do have a pram that isn't very flexible you could be in trouble.
+1 on choosing a good pram!

We bought a Mothercare My4 which comes as a chassis and carrycot.The carrycot converts into a pushcar when little one is older. The big bonus is the chassis also accepts a Maxi-Cosi infant seat so for quick trips to the shops all you need is the chassis in the boot (leaving room for shopping). The IsoFix base lives in the car all the time. The maxi-cosy simply clips on and off and will make life a LOT easier, especially in a 2 door. I do think you will struggle when the baby gets older though. At 9 months mine had outgrown the Maxi-Cosi and we swapped to stage one seats. A wriggling one year old can be quite difficult to strap in, even with good access (My E90 is great - one of the reasons the E93 went!). I had a 2 door car with my first lad and I found it a real struggle at the time to be honest and quickly swapped to a 4 door.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2010, 05:32 PM   #17
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistry View Post
Anyone have this combo? is it a problem trying to get a little one in and out the back?
Hi mistry,

I have an E92 and an E90.

There is absolutley no issue running just the E92 at all, forget all those negative coments.

Remember, the wives often have too much to say in what family car one acquires.

And from experience the wives are subject to a large degree of peer pressure (and total nonsense) from pals when it comes to a family car choice.
Bear in mind obvious envy and ignorance, and you will find many of them angling for a saloon where a beautiful BMW coupe is indeed just fine.
Even worse they end up insisting on a crappy Vauxhall Meriva people carrier because 'Sue down the road says its the only thing that you can get kids in and that BMW wont be any good'.
(Sue from babygroup could never have afforded a decent car and lives in a crap council house on that 'other' estate).

The Maxi-Cosi ISOFIX baby seat is great, and the Quinny Buzz fits easily in the boot along with its cot.
Both of these units fit that buggy, all are high quality items.

In fact the ONLY issue I have with the coupe and before our baby is the poor storage in the cabin, especially for bottles of drink.
But my E90 is just as bad

Another good point.
When it's pissing down with rain you can climb in the back of a coupe to sort the kid out.
You can even shut the door with the seat froward, you cant do that in a saloon
I have electric memory seats, and I just timed it (as im anal) and it takes SIX SECONDS to move the front seat forward to load the isofix and the boy in it.

How's that hard?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2010, 06:15 PM   #18
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla p85d

On the subject of baby seats, does anyone have a seat protector?

I saw this posted somewhere but i can't find it.

A piece of material placed underneath the ISOFIX car seat to reduce the chance of dents or scraps on the leather.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2010, 06:17 PM   #19
M3-FAST
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1bjr View Post
When it's pissing down with rain you can climb in the back of a coupe to sort the kid out.
You can even shut the door with the seat froward, you cant do that in a saloon
How's that hard?
You can't climb in the back of a saloon and shut the door?

mmmm

I have owned both (well an E93 and an E90) and if I had to choose which one was easier to pop a little one in and out of, it would be a saloon every day of the week, especially in car parks where you cant even open an E92/93 door fully, never mind climb in the back with a baby whilst trying not to wake him/her because they have 'just' fell asleep.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2010, 06:20 PM   #20
M3-FAST
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by briers View Post

I saw this posted somewhere but i can't find it.

A piece of material placed underneath the ISOFIX car seat to reduce the chance of dents or scraps on the leather.

I had an IsoFix base fixed in for 9 months and no marks on the leather at all - I just popped a new, clean microfibre towel down first. Have had the Recaro 'Young Sport' seat in for the last four months and again, not a mark on the M3's Nappa leather and that has been fitted without the microfibre
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2010, 06:56 PM   #21
elucid
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by briers View Post
I have a 'neatseat' rubber mat under my son's group 2-3 seat and one under my other son's isofix group 0 base. A bit expensive for it is i.e. a rubber mat with cutouts for the seatbelt. On the positive side they are made from heavy duty rubber and act as an anti-slip base. They also prevent indentation and scuff marks on the leather. They'll last for years too and you'll be able to use the same mat with each group stage seat you'll end up buying.

As mentioned in previous threads would definetly recommend a group 0 seat which you clip in and out of an isofix base. Saves the hassle of threading a seatbelt each time you want to use the seat. Also baby is much more likely to keep sleeping as you clip them in and out of the car. However of course you shouldn't keep baby for too long in their car seat.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2010, 01:56 AM   #22
mistry
Captain
Rep

Some really good advice here, thank you all. I'm guessing the real answer is to try it and see. I've already ordered a Maxi cosi iso base and a bugaboo bee pushchair etc. we did look at the mychoice from mothercare, but felt the bee was a better choice for us, as you can fold it flat without the need for removing th seat.

As for for set protector I was tempted to get one of these, http://www.mothercare.com/dp/B000ILE...=UTF8&mcb=core.
Appreciate 0