E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Playing music through phone in E92 335i

03-12-2016, 07:39 PM   #1
1337i
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335i xDrive

Playing music through phone in E92 335i

Hey guys. I plan on purchasing an E92 335i in the next few months. Along those months, I plan on upgrading my iPhone 5S to a Samsung Galaxy S7.

I want to know how I can play music through the car with my phone. I am expecting and hoping the car has an AUX and USB port, so I can use the steering wheel controls to control my music, and I can see track names on the iDrive.

So will it be fine if I just use a Y-Cable? How will I get the USB To work? Also the Y Cable is for iPhones??? So is it even possible to play music from a Samsung Galaxy S7 while using steering wheel controls to change music and see artist names on iDrive, etc.? Please guide me step by step on how to do this music is a huge part of my life and if I can't get my phone music working on this car I may not purchase it
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2016, 08:03 PM   #2
yipronny
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92

Hi,

AUX is standard on the 335i I believe but you won't be able to see the music on the idrive screen. I think USB is tailored for iPhone systems, but you can download music and put it onto a USB drive, which you can control and see through idrive screen. Also, depending what year vehicle you purchase (after 2009 I think) the idrive system has Bluetooth streaming which allows you to see the songs on your phone and control it through the steering wheel column. Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2016, 08:12 PM   #3
1337i
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yipronny View Post
Hi,

AUX is standard on the 335i I believe but you won't be able to see the music on the idrive screen. I think USB is tailored for iPhone systems, but you can download music and put it onto a USB drive, which you can control and see through idrive screen. Also, depending what year vehicle you purchase (after 2009 I think) the idrive system has Bluetooth streaming which allows you to see the songs on your phone and control it through the steering wheel column. Hope this helps!
Thanks. Yeah controlling music through the steering wheel is a necessity for me, and I want to be able to do it via my phone (no flash drive). I heard Bluetooth audio is just a shit show for everyone and never works with music. So am I screwed then..? There's no way to use a Samsung Galaxy S7 on an E92 335i to control music and see it on the iDrive screen..?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2016, 08:20 PM   #4
1337i
Private
Rep

Also I want to use Spotify and Pandora so having an iPod will be no help because it won't have Internet ... Ugh nothing works out for me
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2016, 08:23 PM   #5
YouAreMyWorld
///Project Aura
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral White ///M-Sport 335i

Depending on your model year/options, Bluetooth is a perfectly viable option and works well for me with hardly any issues. Being an audiophile myself, there's no distortion and the music quality sounds as good as when my iPhone is plugged in via AUX. I myself don't use the iDrive screen to view songs, it's rather pointless to me and serves no real purpose.

If your vehicle lacks Bluetooth, it will more than likely have at least an AUX input under the center arm rest. My previous 2010 model was like this and I purchased a separate Bluetooth device as I didn't want the hassle of having to deal with a cord.

Steering wheel controls are overrated for the most part, majority of the time I find myself changing songs from my phone instead of using the steering wheel controls. Even more so, I've created playlists where I completely remember which songs are coming up/which subsection of the playlist I'm at to where I can know whether I should use the steering wheel controls or if I'm better off changing them from the phone itself.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2016, 08:29 PM   #6
1337i
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouAreMyWorld View Post
Depending on your model year/options, Bluetooth is a perfectly viable option and works well for me with hardly any issues. Being an audiophile myself, there's no distortion and the music quality sounds as good as when my iPhone is plugged in via AUX. I myself don't use the iDrive screen to view songs, it's rather pointless to me and serves no real purpose.

If your vehicle lacks Bluetooth, it will more than likely have at least an AUX input under the center arm rest. My previous 2010 model was like this and I purchased a separate Bluetooth device as I didn't want the hassle of having to deal with a cord.

Steering wheel controls are overrated for the most part, majority of the time I find myself changing songs from my phone instead of using the steering wheel controls. Even more so, I've created playlists where I completely remember which songs are coming up/which subsection of the playlist I'm at to where I can know whether I should use the steering wheel controls or if I'm better off changing them from the phone itself.
Thanks for cheering me up man. Yo but with Bluetooth audio do steering wheel controls work or nah? Also does the song data transfer to the iDrive screen or nah?

I don't want to switch songs with my phone every time. I mean picking up the phone, turning on the phone screen, looking at it, clicking the skip button, setting it back down, it's a few seconds each time! This is a huge car accident risk especially for me living in LA!

Also, how do I check if the car has Bluetooth? Preferably via VIN and not asking the seller. I don't want to call every seller every time I see a nice 335i on Autotrader and ask if it has Bluetooth.

Last edited by 1337i; 03-12-2016 at 08:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2016, 08:50 PM   #7
YouAreMyWorld
///Project Aura
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337i View Post
Thanks for cheering me up man. Yo but with Bluetooth audio do steering wheel controls work or nah? Also does the song data transfer to the iDrive screen or nah?

I don't want to switch songs with my phone every time. I mean picking up the phone, turning on the phone screen, looking at it, clicking the skip button, setting it back down, it's a few seconds each time! This is a huge car accident risk especially for me living in LA!

Also, how do I check if the car has Bluetooth? Preferably via VIN and not asking the seller. I don't want to call every seller every time I see a nice 335i on Autotrader and ask if it has Bluetooth.
You're welcome.

You can use bmwvin.com to decode the vehicles options. Most, if not all LCI's (2011+ models) with Navigation will have bluetooth, but I'm not 100% certain. For Pre-LCI models (2007-2010) it can be hit or miss, but you also have bmwvin to make sure.

If the BMW is equipped with bluetooth as standard, steering wheel controls will work. If you're using an auxiliary Bluetooth device, it will depend upon the device itself as to whether or not steering wheel controls can be used. Unfortunately off the top of my head, I cannot remember a specific model that offers such, but I'm sure a quick forum search will reveal one.

I drive in Los Angeles as well, lack of steering wheel controls never really bothered me nor did I see it as a necessity on my previous car. It's more of it's just nice to have

The E9X doesn't have as great of controls as the F generation for music. The F generation has a scroll button that can quickly flow through several songs. The E9X merely has a button that can be tedious when navigating through multiple songs. It's really only good for skipping a few songs here and there.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2016, 09:12 PM   #8
1337i
Private
Rep

Quote:
You're welcome.

You can use bmwvin.com to decode the vehicles options. Most, if not all LCI's (2011+ models) with Navigation will have bluetooth, but I'm not 100% certain. For Pre-LCI models (2007-2010) it can be hit or miss, but you also have bmwvin to make sure.

If the BMW is equipped with bluetooth as standard, steering wheel controls will work. If you're using an auxiliary Bluetooth device, it will depend upon the device itself as to whether or not steering wheel controls can be used. Unfortunately off the top of my head, I cannot remember a specific model that offers such, but I'm sure a quick forum search will reveal one.

I drive in Los Angeles as well, lack of steering wheel controls never really bothered me nor did I see it as a necessity on my previous car. It's more of it's just nice to have

The E9X doesn't have as great of controls as the F generation for music. The F generation has a scroll button that can quickly flow through several songs. The E9X merely has a button that can be tedious when navigating through multiple songs. It's really only good for skipping a few songs here and there.
Alright thanks man. I am thinking I'll just go with an AUX cable since I don't think my 2010 335i I plan to get will have Bluetooth audio. Is the sound quality good on AUX? Do you recommend any AUX cables? I've heard stories of people having shit sound quality via AUX, is this true? Lastly, is it true that the USB input and AUX (Y-Cable) for iPhone's audio is superior to just a Samsung with AUX?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2016, 09:26 PM   #9
YouAreMyWorld
///Project Aura
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Alright thanks man. I am thinking I'll just go with an AUX cable since I don't think my 2010 335i I plan to get will have Bluetooth audio. Is the sound quality good on AUX? Do you recommend any AUX cables? I've heard stories of people having shit sound quality via AUX, is this true? Lastly, is it true that the USB input and AUX (Y-Cable) for iPhone's audio is superior to just a Samsung with AUX?
The sound quality is as good as you're probably going to get on AUX. As far as AUX cables, I've used this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...rch_detailpage And can personally attest to both it's great quality and affordable price.

Shit quality will depend on the car, some manufacturers don't include a "grounded" connection which makes playing music through AUX have a tinny-hissing noise and requires a separate "ground loop" device that plugs directly to your AUX cable and from the device into your vehicles AUX port. I didn't experience it with my 2010 model, despite buying one just in case, and no audible difference was made. Our cars appear to not be affected by that problem.

As far as your last question, I'm not sure, it can all be subjective. To be frank unless your vehicle isn't equipped with HiFi/Logic 7/Harmon Kardon, you will not notice a disparaging difference, if any at all in your music. As aforementioned, I'm an audiophile myself and listen to a wide range of genres and have absolutely no qualms with the quality my factory Logic 7 sound system produces--the only thing I added was a sub in the trunk for some extra kick. Download quality (256kbs and above) .mp3's and you won't have any displeasure listening to music.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2016, 10:22 PM   #10
whiskey_waffle
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 335i

I use Tune2Air, I can browse artists/albums/songs through the iDrive with it and it displays whatever current song is playing. Could be another option for you.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2016, 11:00 PM   #11
StevenY.
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10' SG e92 335i

I have a note 5 but have a 160gb ipod classic just for the car connected to the y-cable, went with the ipod route cause like you I wanted to be able to go through my playlists and what not on idrive and change music via steering wheel. I've probably only connected my phone to the aux a handful of times but on both the ipod and phone I have lossless quality music and both sound great to me, in the end it comes down to the quality of your music.

Last edited by StevenY.; 03-12-2016 at 11:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2016, 12:13 AM   #12
1337i
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenY. View Post
I have a note 5 but have a 160gb ipod classic just for the car connected to the y-cable, went with the ipod route cause like you I wanted to be able to go through my playlists and what not on idrive and change music via steering wheel. I've probably only connected my phone to the aux a handful of times but on both the ipod and phone I have lossless quality music and both sound great to me, in the end it comes down to the quality of your music.
Ah. Yeah I'd use a separate iPod but then I can't use Spotify (no internet) or Pandora.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2016, 12:14 AM   #13
1337i
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskey_waffle View Post
I use Tune2Air, I can browse artists/albums/songs through the iDrive with it and it displays whatever current song is playing. Could be another option for you.
ugh tune2air is only iPhones / iPods

Last edited by 1337i; 03-13-2016 at 12:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2016, 12:15 AM   #14
1337i
Private
Rep

Quote:
The sound quality is as good as you're probably going to get on AUX. As far as AUX cables, I've used this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...rch_detailpage And can personally attest to both it's great quality and affordable price.

Shit quality will depend on the car, some manufacturers don't include a "grounded" connection which makes playing music through AUX have a tinny-hissing noise and requires a separate "ground loop" device that plugs directly to your AUX cable and from the device into your vehicles AUX port. I didn't experience it with my 2010 model, despite buying one just in case, and no audible difference was made. Our cars appear to not be affected by that problem.

As far as your last question, I'm not sure, it can all be subjective. To be frank unless your vehicle isn't equipped with HiFi/Logic 7/Harmon Kardon, you will not notice a disparaging difference, if any at all in your music. As aforementioned, I'm an audiophile myself and listen to a wide range of genres and have absolutely no qualms with the quality my factory Logic 7 sound system produces--the only thing I added was a sub in the trunk for some extra kick. Download quality (256kbs and above) .mp3's and you won't have any displeasure listening to music.
Oh wow man thanks so much for all the advice. You are my world dude honestly since you helped me. Thanks bro thanks to you I'm not scared about using an AUX cable. Now let's just hope the E92 335i I find has an aux port!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2016, 12:23 AM   #15
maddmatth
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, E92 335i

Even better than an Aux cable (if the car doesnt have Bluetooth or USB for Tune2Air), is a Bluetooth to Aux adapter.
I use the Himbox one, it's very good.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2016, 12:39 AM   #16
1337i
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddmatth View Post
Even better than an Aux cable (if the car doesnt have Bluetooth or USB for Tune2Air), is a Bluetooth to Aux adapter.
I use the Himbox one, it's very good.
Himbox huh? How does it work? And does it allow song skipping via steering wheel and display track info on iDrive? Does It work with the Android Samsung Galaxy S7?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2016, 01:25 AM   #17
maddmatth
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, E92 335i

Quote:
Himbox huh? How does it work? And does it allow song skipping via steering wheel and display track info on iDrive? Does It work with the Android Samsung Galaxy S7?
Afraid it doesn't work with the steering wheel controls and you don't get track info, that's just a limitation with the aux input on this car. It has it's own buttons for next/prev and the big middle button is for both play/pause and answering/ending calls. So you can just stick it by the Drive controller and it's convenient enough, you can feel where the buttons are so no need to look away from the road to operate it. It has a built in mic for calls.

Since you have an Android phone I also recommend an app called "Bluetooth Connect and Play", so you can have your phone play music automatically as soon as it connects, it supports a bunch of music apps.

If you have a bigger budget there are options like the Dension Blueway 500, setup requires some work so you may need professional help, but it emulates a CD stacker so that you get track info with playlists iDrive, steering wheel controls work ect.
I'm looking into it for my car but they say they don't work with Japan spec, and my car happens to be imported from Japan (cheap source of used cars here in New Zealand since we have few import restrictions...).

If you really like throwing away money you can go for a BMW Combox retrofit, very pricy for what you get though. If you're very technical you can maybe DIY it for an ok price but it's a lot of work.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2016, 03:07 AM   #18
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

06-08 E9x (CCC iDrive): Needs 6FL option (Enhanced USB/iPod support). Needs special Y-cable for iPod/iPhone integration. USB flash drive music support. Questionable Android support(?)

09-11 E9x (CIC iDrive): Same as above, but faster system and better GUI design. Should have better Android support. Built in hard drive for importing music from CD or USB.

11.5-13 E9x (CIC iDrive + Combox): Needs 6FL option. Can use regular USB cable for iPod/iPhone. Album art display. A2DP BT audio streaming (with track controls and album art). Available 6NR option for BMW Apps capability (Spotify and Pandora integration).

Combox can be retrofitted on pre-2011.5 CIC iDrives. BMW Apps can also be activated on a CIC with combox if it was not originally ordered with the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 06:23 PM   #19
MaddisonSummers
Registered
Australia
Rep
Drives: 320D 2010

Last 7 digits of VIN are NM97112

606 Navigation System Business
644 Prep. For. Mob. Ph. Bluet. Interf.
6FL Usb-/audio Interface

I just got this car a month ago and to my disappointment, even with a Y-cable that has lightning for my iphone Xs, music can't be skipped from the steering wheel, only volume can be controlled. And after about 1-2 weeks of use, the cable has stopped working. So now I am wondering if this Tune2Air Bluetooth gadget would work to play music via my speakers and have steering wheel functionality, what would be even more amazing is if it was able to display what song is playing as well.
I can't connect my phone to my car for music via bluetooth normally, only for calls.

This product is more expensive than just getting a cable, so I want to make sure it would be something that works before spending the money. Here is one I found online, with both USB and AUX.
Ebay Tune2Air Aus

Does anyone have any insight if this product will work for my car and if it's worth it? Are there other bluetooth adapters that have come out recently that would be better suited?
I don't use apple music, only spotify.

Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited by MaddisonSummers; 12-02-2019 at 09:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 09:54 PM   #20
matamua
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 e93 335i, FBO, m3 control

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddisonSummers View Post
Last 7 digits of VIN are NM97112

606 Navigation System Business
644 Prep. For. Mob. Ph. Bluet. Interf.
6FL Usb-/audio Interface

I just got this car a month ago and to my disappointment, even with a Y-cable that has lightning for my iphone Xs, music can't be skipped from the steering wheel, only volume can be controlled. And after about 1-2 weeks of use, the cable has stopped working. So now I am wondering if this Tune2Air Bluetooth gadget would work to play music via my speakers and have steering wheel functionality, what would be even more amazing is if it was able to display what song is playing as well.
I can't connect my phone to my car for music via bluetooth normally, only for calls.

This product is more expensive than just getting a cable, so I want to make sure it would be something that works before spending the money. Here is one I found online, with both USB and AUX.
Ebay Tune2Air Aus

Does anyone have any insight if this product will work for my car and if it's worth it? Are there other bluetooth adapters that have come out recently that would be better suited?
I don't use apple music, only spotify.

Any help would be appreciated!
I bought the Tune2air, use it with my 07 335i and my iPhone XR. Steering wheel buttons work. My wife's XS max works with it too.

Not sure if it works with Spotify. Does with iTunes, and Amazon
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2021, 03:00 AM   #21
RebaBarker
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i

I think you can try Spotify premium.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 02:13 AM   #22
jamiehud
Registered
Rep
Drives: THE X5

Get Spotify Premium

You can get Spotify premium and download the Spotify songs on your phone or other devices for offline listening. It will be easier for you to find a Use cable.
Appreciate 0