E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > rubber/ plastic smell!?!?

11-14-2012, 07:19 AM   #1
B9M0W
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90

rubber/ plastic smell!?!?

So lately I've been smelling some sort of plastic or rubber burning smell. At first i thought it was the that ugly prius in front of me but it wasnt :/ this morning i slammed on my brakes and i actually saw some smoke coming from my engine bay. The smell and smoke went away within a min or so, so i decided to slam on my brakes one last time before i made a stop. Once again same thing happened, saw some smoke and my car had that awful rubber smell. Once i open my hood i didn't notice any strange smell what so ever, everything seems normal. And there are no leaves in my engine bay.
Can anyone help me resolve this issue, please!?! ?!?
Appreciate 1
      11-14-2012, 08:51 AM   #2
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon

Garage List
I had something like this. Was oil traveling along the valve cover and slowly dripping on the hot exhaust. Maybe take a look at your engine, on the exhaust side ?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 06:21 PM   #3
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

Or collapsed engine mount or other fault causing the serp belt to rub something? (I thought that the crossmember thing was just 335s though?)
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 07:01 PM   #4
B9M0W
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Idk I'll have to do a full engine inspection this weekend. If i find out anything ill post it up.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 05:18 PM   #5
venable_steven
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 11 X5 35D

Quote:
Originally Posted by B9M0W
So lately I've been smelling some sort of plastic or rubber burning smell. At first i thought it was the that ugly prius in front of me but it wasnt :/ this morning i slammed on my brakes and i actually saw some smoke coming from my engine bay. The smell and smoke went away within a min or so, so i decided to slam on my brakes one last time before i made a stop. Once again same thing happened, saw some smoke and my car had that awful rubber smell. Once i open my hood i didn't notice any strange smell what so ever, everything seems normal. And there are no leaves in my engine bay.
Can anyone help me resolve this issue, please!?! ?!?
I have this same problem on my 07 328i and I looked and smelled my power steering or brake fluid whichever canister is on the right of the engine bay and it smells the same! I think it's overflowing and dripping in the engine I need to research it more but please let me know what you find out!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 06:42 PM   #6
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by venable_steven View Post
I have this same problem on my 07 328i and I looked and smelled my power steering or brake fluid whichever canister is on the right of the engine bay and it smells the same! I think it's overflowing and dripping in the engine I need to research it more but please let me know what you find out!
If you can see it after simply opening the hood, it's your power steering. The brake fluid reservoir is out of sight.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 08:41 PM   #7
Amini77
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White '13 550i

Garage List
2013 BMW 550i  [0.00]
Valve cover gasket is probably busted, happened to me too. Usually on cold start but yea its oil leaking onto your headers making smoke and smells like shit, get it fixed costs around ~400
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 10:59 PM   #8
venable_steven
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlifxs
Quote:
Originally Posted by venable_steven View Post
If you can see it after simply opening the hood, it's your power steering. The brake fluid reservoir is out of sight.
Great. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 11:00 PM   #9
venable_steven
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amini77
Valve cover gasket is probably busted, happened to me too. Usually on cold start but yea its oil leaking onto your headers making smoke and smells like shit, get it fixed costs around ~400
Ill look at it but I think it's overflow from spilloff of power steering
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 05:20 AM   #10
B9M0W
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Haven't found anything yet! i took the two front wheels to see if it had to do anything with the brakes, but no luck :/ I now know its not my engine oil because I'm not losing oil or see any engine engine oil dripping on the ground. kind of strange how it happens now and then.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 12:43 PM   #11
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

Quote:
Originally Posted by B9M0W View Post
I now know its not my engine oil because I'm not losing oil or see any engine engine oil dripping on the ground. kind of strange how it happens now and then.
Do not expect leaks to manifest on the ground. I had a massive leak for a month (housing) and it never let a droplet on the ground. I found only due to visual inspection triggered by intermittent horrible rubber bbq smell. Take a flashlight and inspect gasket areas (in particular oil filter housing, VANOS motor and valve cover gasket), all these areas result in oil dripping on the exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 09:57 PM   #12
RectalItching
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Meenie is right . there is a catch pan below so you wont see it on the ground. i had a foul smell last year when i turned on heating/cooling. look at your valve gasket. it should be bright orange. if it aint, theres probably a leak. it may be the gaskey or aluminum bolt cracked ive read. they replaced my gasket under CPO maintenance program
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 01:46 AM   #13
cb224
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: IOMG G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RectalItching View Post
Meenie is right . there is a catch pan below so you wont see it on the ground. i had a foul smell last year when i turned on heating/cooling. look at your valve gasket. it should be bright orange. if it aint, theres probably a leak. it may be the gaskey or aluminum bolt cracked ive read. they replaced my gasket under CPO maintenance program
Where's the valve gasket located? Have the same problem....when I turn on the heating/cooling. Comes and goes. Very irritating.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 09:12 AM   #14
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb224 View Post
Where's the valve gasket located? Have the same problem....when I turn on the heating/cooling. Comes and goes. Very irritating.
take a look at the pic here, this is passenger side of engine

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=675857

note the oil / grime around the star shaped bolt heads. Those bolts connect valve cover to gasket / head. If you remove the engine cover you can get a better idea of where the valve cover and gasket is located.

I'm leaking a small amount and occasionally drops fall onto the exhaust (as noted by a prev poster here). Stinks quite a bit and sometimes the smoke comes smoldering through the hood. Seems to happen more when my car is ramped, or on a hill, or if I do wide open throttle driving.

From what I've read this symptom can also appear from leaking oil filter housing and sometimes from a sloppy fill during an oil change. In my case, I'm pretty sure it's the gasket and plan to have a shop fix it (not cheap) or DIY it.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 10:52 PM   #15
B9M0W
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

it's been two months and i still haven't gotten this fix lol. Reason why was because for some odd reason i stopped noticing the burnt smell until... now. But now it's getting worse. I smell that strange odor as soon as i start the car or back up when starting her up. I have extended warranty by a third party and will be giving them a call tomorrow and see if this is covered by them if not, then my wallet is gonna take a big hit :/

Ps. i did see some oil/grime on one or two bolts by engine side.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 10:54 PM   #16
B9M0W
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlifxs View Post

note the oil / grime around the star shaped bolt heads. Those bolts connect valve cover to gasket / head. If you remove the engine cover you can get a better idea of where the valve cover and gasket is located.

I'm leaking a small amount and occasionally drops fall onto the exhaust (as noted by a prev poster here). Stinks quite a bit and sometimes the smoke comes smoldering through the hood. Seems to happen more when my car is ramped, or on a hill, or if I do wide open throttle driving.

From what I've read this symptom can also appear from leaking oil filter housing and sometimes from a sloppy fill during an oil change. In my case, I'm pretty sure it's the gasket and plan to have a shop fix it (not cheap) or DIY it.
THANKS!!! my engine looks a lot like this. just hoping the issue is gonna be covered by a third party warranty
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 10:56 AM   #17
cb224
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: IOMG G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlifxs View Post

Thanks for sharing. Going to look into it.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 10:51 PM   #18
07lilredwagon
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 328 wagon

Things to check, some as stated above:

Oil filter housing (front of motor, large black round cap). housings leak where the gasket is...bolts to the head of the motor...3 or 4 bolts.....

Power steering reservoir cap, o ring, hoses....(the one you see on the right side towards the back of the motor on the DS)

leaky valve cover gasket....(described above)

Clutch slave cylinder...side of transmission

Automatic Transmission oil pan gasket...under car, just behind motor...(remove plastic pan)

Drive shaft boots and seals....though your car is not an XI...so never mind!

cant think of anything else right now....

JP
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 07:52 AM   #19
B9M0W
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07lilredwagon View Post
Things to check, some as stated above:

Oil filter housing (front of motor, large black round cap). housings leak where the gasket is...bolts to the head of the motor...3 or 4 bolts.....

Power steering reservoir cap, o ring, hoses....(the one you see on the right side towards the back of the motor on the DS)

leaky valve cover gasket....(described above)

Clutch slave cylinder...side of transmission

Automatic Transmission oil pan gasket...under car, just behind motor...(remove plastic pan)

Drive shaft boots and seals....though your car is not an XI...so never mind!

cant think of anything else right now....

JP
Thanks for your advise! But the dealership just took care of it couple days ago. Once in a while i still get that burning smell though. Next time I'll do it myself when its not 10°F outside.
Appreciate 0