E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > G37

02-15-2011, 01:12 PM   #67
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ421 View Post
+1.

I was between a 370Z and the 335i. The 370Z is a lot of fun, very exciting but the road noise is killer. According to a review I read, the air extractors are somewhat to blame - they are not shielded properly from noise:
http://www.insideline.com/nissan/370...term-test.html
Those 19" low profile tires don't help either.

Everybody's different, but the insurance for me on the 370Z was very high, much more so than the BMW.

My thoughts on the G37 - never drove one, but it is very popular and has good reliability. Great exhaust note. There are a ton of them on the road, however, so it's not all that unique. I think the BMW 3 looks much sharper.
I also looked at the 370Z seriously but decided I couldn't live without backseats, even though I only ever need it once in a long while. But they aren't really in the same price range though, a 335i is at least 10K more when optioned.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 01:19 PM   #68
aohus
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 Monaco Blue 335i

i thought only asian girls drive G37
2010 E92 Monaco Blue 335i / Gray Dakota Leather / Steptronic / Sport / Premium / Navi / L7 / 18" Performance Wheels / HPFP fail @ 8400 miles (replaced with #933 pump) // MODS: Mishimoto OCC | VRSF CP + Turbosmart Dual Port BOV | RB PCV Valve // Maintenance: Walnut Blast @ 56k | Spark Plugs Replaced @ 56k | Addons: BN2000 Combox // Andream Carplay // Rear Camera // Spark Plugs (.022 gap) and Coils Replaced 73.1k
2019 G01 Carbon Black X3 M40i / Premium / Driver Assist / 21" on Bridgestone Alienza RFT
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 01:20 PM   #69
doggiedog
Captain
Japan
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i 6MT SG/BL

I had a 2005 G35S sedan 6MT for 39 months. I really loved that car. Only had two minor problems with it. Burned CDs would get stuck in the changer if you didn't get a Sony Audio CD (it's true) and the cruise control caused my engine to stop dead once while traveling at 85MPH (could not replicate it). Besides that, I had no complaints. In 39 months of driving in NYC, I never popped a single tire. In fact, when I lease returned the car, they were still running the tires that came with the car. I've blown 5 tires in my 3 in 9K miles. Every time I hit a pothole it feels like a bomb goes off under my car.

There is no doubt a 335i drives better than a G. The question is are you willing to gain say a 10% difference in performance for likely problems with your car. I've gone through 3 HPFPs, FIs, 1 L7 stereo, headlight assembly, and a bunch of other items in 17K miles now. I owned an E36 325i and that had its share of problems too. The one major drawback I see to a G is the mileage. It was awful. It's something to really consider with prices for 93 getting closer to the $4 range.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 01:59 PM   #70
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kaccordocoupe View Post
I came from a 2005 g35 coupe, sport, navi, 6mt. It was a nice car however my 3'er is much better. Better handling, razor sharp steering. The G always felt heavy or lazy for lack of better words. Loved that VQ35 motor and exhaust sound tho
It's not fair to compare a 2005 G35 to a e9X series BMW. The G3X series was completely redesigned in 2007 (similar to BMW changing the e46 to the e90). And later it was further refined with the larger 3.7 liter engine.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 02:29 PM   #71
MusclezMarinara
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: VALNCYA

Garage List
they stand up well under 25mph crashes....oh wait nope my friends g was totaled at 25 haha
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 03:12 PM   #72
GIANTGOOK
swwwwwishhhh
United_States
Rep
Drives: a turtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusclezMarinara View Post
they stand up well under 25mph crashes....oh wait nope my friends g was totaled at 25 haha
that can happen to any car btw, depending on where the point of impact is.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 04:08 PM   #73
doggiedog
Captain
Japan
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i 6MT SG/BL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusclezMarinara View Post
Would you rather have your car totaled and a check written for it or fixed up and repaired and given back to you?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 04:20 PM   #74
reddemon73
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435

My G was pretty loud. I agreed with the small cramp backseat and lack of trunk space. Received lots of compliment on the G though. We will see with the 335 in a few months
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 05:03 PM   #75
STICKY335
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Coupe

that would be a downgrade IMO just the way i see it!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 06:29 PM   #76
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedog View Post
Would you rather have your car totaled and a check written for it or fixed up and repaired and given back to you?
I would choose whichever option that ends with the car's passengers being least injured.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 09:21 PM   #77
Sunstealer
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 S4 / 09 G37

I had a 2007 E92 335i as a lease. It was a great car, they replaced the fuel pump once (before it actually failed.) No problems otherwise when turned in at 45K and 3 years. We ended up ordering a 2009 G37S Coupe to replace it after much debate. The idea was that I would drive the G37 for about a year and then give it to my wife for her daily driver and order myself another 3-series. As mentioned above (by those who have actually owned both), the G37 is probably 9/10s of the BMW in performance and driving feel. The steering is definitely numb, but it handles quite well once you get used to it. Both of mine were autos, and the G's rev-matching downshifts are really impressive on a curvy road. The interior is not as nice, but the electronics are at least a generation better than the 3. The nav is the best I have ever used in an OEM setup. Trunk is tiny, but seats fold down flat to make up for that somewhat.

After test driving the new Audi S4, I decided to go that route instead of another 3. It is a very impressive car, especially with the sport diff. Handling is much better than the 335xi that I was comparing it with. The power is at least on par with the 3, maybe slightly better even. You feel the weight in the corners, but it still sticks like glue. So, within the span of about 15 months, I will have owned the 335, G37, and S4. Honestly, I would be very happy with any of the three.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 01:10 AM   #78
mad villain
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 40i

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
had a 04 g35x sedan for 7 years before i got my 09 335i....two completely different cars in many ways (not just the fact that one was a sedan and the other a coupe) but i like them both

one of the reasons i got the 3 was because i wanted a change....i was very tempted by the g37x coupe for all the reasons people have stated (reliability, pretty much the same power, more tech, cheaper)....but i was willing to sacrifice some reliability for a change....they are both great cars but each has its faults

i also don't like the back of the new g37 coupes....the old g35 coupe was very aggressive all around, the new G coupe's are way to curvy in the back. I have to say that i loved the way the G sounded when driving it...you can hear that exhaust note inside the car without having to put the windows down and its a very deep growl which is what i like

in the end i went with the 3 and i don't regret that decision...its a great car and so far (*knock on wood*) nothing has gone wrong with it
      02-16-2011, 01:49 AM   #79
spiike32
Major
Rep
Drives: Mineral White F80 M3

At the time of my purchase, the turbos and superchargers for the G37 were in their infancy. Now that big names like Stillen and GTM have refined the aftermarket forced induction for the G37, it would be a worthy 335i contender. stage 1 is 420hp and stage 3 is 550hp. It would definitely give a tuned 335i a run for its money. Dyno chart in the link below is interesting.

http://myg37.com/forums/engine-drive...s-release.html

It's a nice car and I see much more 3 series on the road than the g37 in Chicago.

Current: Tesla Model 3 Performance Retired: F80 M3, FBO 335i, 318ti, C7 Stingray
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 08:05 AM   #80
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

Just seen a lowered G37 this morning on the way to work. Shit sounded badass.

He was still staring at my car, though. Tinted windows ftw.

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 09:55 AM   #81
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedog View Post
Good point. It also means that the impact was absorbed by the car......
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 01:43 PM   #82
youngb4
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i M Sport

G37 vs 3

OP: Several months ago I decided that I was going to buy a new car, it came down to the G37x coupe and the 335i xdrive coupe. I also test drove a G37x sedan. The infiniti is a nice car, lots of tech gadgets standard (though I think they may have changed exactly what is considered standard for 2011, don't quote me on that though), nice growl to the exhaust, fairly good steering feel not to mention about 8 to 10K cheaper when similarly equipped.

Here's what I didn't like:
I loved the lines of the G35, not so much for the G37. As others have stated, I just think it's TOO curvy, it doesn't carry the same aggressive, sporty appeal that the 35s did when I first saw them. I could never get myself to fall in love with the looks. I also found that the G had some terrible blind spots, it just felt like I was doing way too much neck cranking to get a decent view when merging on the highway or switching lanes around town. I also feel like there are too many buttons for the functions advertised. I think you have 3 different ways you can navigate through various menus, (touch screen, scroll wheel, steering wheel buttons etc.); some may like the "diversity", I find it annoying. Give me one button per function and a single method of control in a comfortable location that makes sense, aka less clutter. The instrumentation color scheme got on my nerves when I test drove at night. Don't get me wrong, I love the look of blue LEDs, but I don't think they belong in a car's "cockpit", YMMV. The trunk space just sucked in the coupe, no way around it. I remember popping the trunk and just laughing while the salesman tried to show me how folding down the seats gave me "a bit" more room. The steering feel wasn't BAD, but I found that it gave me kind of a numb feeling, almost like the power steering was working too hard along with me, I don't know if that stacks up with what others feel, just my opinion. The brakes are also very touchy (at least on the sedan and coupe I drove), at the slightest tap it would throw the salesman and myself forward in our seats. This one's kind of nitpicky but I felt like each of the model trims was almost preconfigured for me, not a lot of interior/trim or option choices. This probably doesn’t matter for some, but I personally have no use for parking sensors or a backup camera on a sedan/coupe (I drove a large Toyota Tundra previously, so if I have problems driving a little coupe, I'm in trouble!), aka I really wanted to choose EXACTLY what I wanted and didn't want, not come close.

Fwew that was a mouthful! As far as the 335i went, as soon as I saw the SA pull it out of the covered storage lot, I just felt giddy. I loved the lines, the stance (although a bit high in xdrive trim, not a deal breaker) and the new angel eyes amongst other things. I had never driven a BMW before and I knew after the test drive that I was going to end up with this car. The G37 is by no means a bad car, I spent a lot of time trying to convince myself to just get it and save the money, but it just wasn't the car for me. Overall, the looks, feel and ability to choose exactly what options I wanted (despite the price for doing so) really won it for me. O yes, and the amazing low end torque at such a low RPM (the G really can't answer back to that IMHO), wowee!!

So I apologize for the novel I just wrote, if I read over a post where you said you have test driven one then I apologize, but it's the best thing I can recommend! Each car is easy to like, and obviously it boils down to your personal preferences; just thought I'd share my experience!! Good luck!!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 01:55 PM   #83
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngb4 View Post
I loved the lines of the G35, not so much for the G37. As others have stated, I just think it's TOO curvy, it doesn't carry the same aggressive, sporty appeal that the 35s did when I first saw them. I could never get myself to fall in love with the looks.
This. I felt EXACTLY the same way. I LOVED how the G35 looked. G37's looks is a step in the wrong direction IMHO. I might have very well ended up with a G37 had they continued with G35's good looks.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 04:00 AM   #84
BMXtreme
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E60 535i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by morfinx View Post
This. I felt EXACTLY the same way. I LOVED how the G35 looked. G37's looks is a step in the wrong direction IMHO. I might have very well ended up with a G37 had they continued with G35's good looks.
A no wonder it looks abit weird when I went to test drive it. I didn't know they actually changed the looks. I thought it was only the engine and a mild facelift....duh......when i first saw it, i was like "why is an Altima here in an Infiniti lot"
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 04:13 AM   #85
yuyue
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' 328i E90 MT

engine sounds noisy, exhaust sounds artificial, good price however
to me, G is more on paper, alright, acceleration might be real. but steering, braking, suspension, rigidity are all lousy.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 03:25 PM   #86
Whoa1847
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Tech Capitalism Rocket

I went through the same decision process and ended up with an '11 IPL 6MT, my situation, however, is a little different. Here's why I bought the G instead of an 335i:

- I wasn't going to buy either car because both will receive new models within the next couple of years, so I'm doing a 3-year lease and the lease rates on the G is much more attractive at this point.
- I wasn't looking at the IPL but just an ordinary G Coupe 6MT, but the dealer had a brand new IPL 6MT with only 16 miles on it, and they were willing to sell it to me at invoice, plus a $1500 maintenance package thrown in for the duration of my lease, it ended up being only marginally more expensive than a regular 6MT Coupe.
- I test drove a 335i Coupe 6MT w/ Sport, Prem and Nav (cancelled order sitting on their lot) right before I decided on the G. The salesman took me to some twisties and really led me open her up, and it was as flat as a hockey puck on ice. I liked it, I liked it a lot.
- But I had already ruined this generation of 3 for myself, I had an E90 330i 6MT Sport Prem Nav when it first came out in summer of 2005. I made the mistake of impatience and got a sedan instead of a coupe which was what I really wanted. Overall I thought it was a great car, but I didn't love it. There was no chemistry between me and the sedan, so I got rid of it when I went back to school in 2006. Driving the 335i reminded me of that experience. It's not fair to the coupe because of my own mistake, but I still didn't feel any chemistry this time.
- I went with the IPL G because it was unbelievable value for 90% of the 335i's performance. And like I said, I'm waiting for the next generation of these cars, so I'm leasing not buying, and the finances on the G just worked out much much better.

I want to make it clear that I believe the BMW is without a doubt at this point still a higher quality product, although not by much. And when my lease is up on the G it's very likely that I'll hop into the next generation 3er, but in my situation this time around, the IPL G's finances just made too much sense to pass up.

I love the car too, it's imperfect in many different ways. It's not as torquey as I'd like, the interior material isn't as uniformly high quality as I'd like, and there isn't as much useable space as I'd like. But with the imperfections comes other things that I absolutely adore on the G, the exhaust note I personally find extremely gratifying, something I found myself missing while in the BMW, the engine's willingness to rev puts a smile on my face, and the interior/exterior styling connects with me more on a personal level.

Some pictures for everyone to enjoy (my gf was the one taking the pics):

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 03:43 PM   #87
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

Beautiful , love those seats!! That's a nice color too.

Looks like Infiniti jacked Ruby Black from BMW.

Jk. I may seem ignorant, but what is an IPL G37? Is it a higher performance version? I will say that I've never seen those wheels on one, before. I bet it sounds really sexy.

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 04:09 PM   #88
Whoa1847
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Tech Capitalism Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian III View Post
Beautiful , love those seats!! That's a nice color too.

Looks like Infiniti jacked Ruby Black from BMW.

Jk. I may seem ignorant, but what is an IPL G37? Is it a higher performance version? I will say that I've never seen those wheels on one, before. I bet it sounds really sexy.
Hahaha, no problem. I didn't know a thing about IPL either go back 2 weeks, lol. Like I said, given my situation, I thought I was gonna end up with a vanilla 6MT G

It's Infiniti Performance Line, like the BMW "is" and Audi S-line. It adds stiffer suspension, different intake/exhaust, some engine tuning management a bodykit, different wheels and unique colors. The result isn't all that special power-wise, but handling does become more predictable when pushed.

I thought about it long and hard. I have no problem living with the G's shortcomings for the next 3 years. After that I'll probably want something different, but that's perfect timing for me.
Appreciate 0