E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Procede impressions/review from a long time JB3 user -- 6-16 Auto-tune Maps

06-22-2010, 10:11 PM   #1
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 MR "Civic" ///M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Procede impressions/review from a long time JB3 user -- 6-16 Auto-tune Maps

Procede impressions/review from a long time JB3 user -- 6-16 Auto-tune Maps

I've been a JB3 user for well over a year, and if you guys search enough.. you can see me
and Shiv going at it a bit. But certain things made me start looking into the PROcede. I will
highlight what I like about both and what made me look else where. I've had the PROcede now
for a bit over a month now, started of with the 5-15 IC auto-tune maps. These or only
my impressions and opinions. I know no matter what I say, there'll be a tuner war
but hopefully the mods can keep it clean.

I will do my best to not make this a compare and contrast of one tune to another. Since I'm
one of the lucky ones that has tried both, one significantly longer than the other.. JB3 for
more than 1 year and PROcede just over a month.

Drivability / Throttle Response

The PROcede's ability to keep drivability feeling stock or better is incredible.
Partial throttle is amazing, power's there when you need it on command. Specially for a
fully modified car, no boost overshoot or lack of response. There was some compromise on
this while running the JB3. When it comes to just driving around, again the PROcede is as
smooth as you can probably get. The car just flows on the road, there's no jerkiness or
otherwise odd behaviors. The little random hiccup during cruise type conditions seems to
be gone with the new maps (6-16).

The JB3 felt very inconsistent in this regard, it'll be smooth and very drivable at times,
yet other times it'll be jerky, inconsistent. The PROcede delivers the same performance,
day after day, overtime I drive.

Power / Boost Control

I look at my PROcede logs and it's really nice seeing the tune hit its boost target, times
after time. Go WOT and the only fluctuations in boost is usually +/- 0.2-3psi. Power once
again is very linear and once it picks up, it stays there. For some, they may think that
this "feels" slower than the JB3.. for me it's the complete opposite. I'm sure if my car
was dyno'd the JB3 may have greater "peak" numbers. But when it comes to power under the
curve I would not be so sure.

Results speak for themselves, for those interested in quarter mile times. I went to the strip
multiple times with the JB3 and best time I could pull off was a 12.0 @ 115mph. One trip with
the PROcede and I immediately started hitting 11s.. my best time is in my signature. That night,
I did not get over 11.9 all night, under much worse conditions.

One of my biggest issues with the JB3 was bogging. Run a bit more boost than normal,
usually 16.5psi+ with meth and it'll just bog. It's nice to drive around and just shift or
go to the track and shift hard. Having the car just pull right after holding enough boost to
not lose acceleration.

Features - Software Logging

When it comes to features, having discussed drivability and power already. The PROcede as of
now, cannot be touched. Lets start with the logging software. Yes, I know the samples per
second thing has been done to death and could be a marketing thing. But, it does makes the
graph look allot nicer and easier to read at the very least. The channels available to log
are pretty nice, but the main ones I'm concerned with are RPM, Boost, Timing advanced. Two
of those are available in the JB3, but unfortunately not there yet is Timing. There's tons
more channels to look at with the PROcede. Pure meth flow, throttle, iats, boost set
points, afrs. Lots of which are already know, so I wont go deeper into it.

Features - tune based

I'll highlight my favorite parts, since when it comes to flat out power we know what both
tunes can do.

1) By far my favorite part is the progressive meth mapping. This works flawlessly, I've
done some testing on spraying less, stopping the spray and all works as advertised.
2) Having auto-tune now is pretty awesome. For those that don't run meth, you're all pretty
much set. But having tried it in a single meth map, the results were surprising. I've been
running my car less aggressive than I though all this times. And timing advanced even
running one full PSI (auto-tuned) over from what I usually ran, was always above 10 and 13
towards redline. I'm waiting till progressive meth mapping auto-tune comes out to fully go
back to it. But I'm actually excited to waiting to see what it does and how it works.

I'm happy to say allot of the codes that I was so used to have disappeared. Those pesky
30FF under boost codes. Happening when boost doesn't meet it's "expected" target. Even fuel
pressure codes that I got during extended driving have disappeared.

Features - future proof

Really the best seller this tune has is, it's future proof. The hardware is top notch, the
tuning is also. They keep coming out with features without a need to upgrade to this or that.
I wasn't around during the Rev.1 days, so I cannot talk for those people. Seems like they have
some deal going on now for them and it'll be well worth it.

Final thoughts - PROcede

From what I've experienced JB3/PROcede in my own car, a 6MT 135i. This tune (PROcede) is well
worth it's price by allot. And this is coming from a cheap bastard like me, don't really have
money to throw away. But one thing you won't be doing is throwing away your money with the PROcede.
It's been a while since I've been this happy driving my car.

Final thoughts - JB3

I was happy for a long time with the JB3, and having never experienced the PROcede. Well, I
probably would still be happy. I started having some problems near the end with it. It became more
work than hobby to keep my car running happy with the JB3. BMS and Terry offer exceptional customer
support. But one thing a friend of mine said there's a difference between re-active and
pro-active
customer support.

I did drive a buddies 6AT DCI and Tune only car, and it felt great. Was almost as smooth as my PROcede
6MT car. Having more mods, I don't know and can't say. But when it came to drivability, the JB3
just didn't do it for me. It was like an on/off switch most of the times. Specially one of those light
bulbs that flickers sometimes but sometimes it just lights up the room. But you never really know
which one it'll be. When it does light up, it's a nice bright light. But, when it flickers it's
annoying as hell and takes a few on/off hits to work. At points that's what it felt like for me,
sometimes it'll be great going WOT, yet sometimes it's like; Where did all my boost go? I just hit
17psi, yet next time I'll get 15 or 16, 15.5.

Allot of you will be perfectly happy with the JB3, and this is not meant to persuade anyone otherwise.
This is my own, personal experience with both tunes. The tune in my car as of now is PROcede, because
for me and my car, it just works.

Final thoughts - All

Again, this is not meant to be a tuner war thread. But, I know it will become one, it's just inevitable around
here now a days. But the best thing you guys can do is try them both, or all three.. since I haven't tried the
CP-E standback myself. There's no win or lose if you like what you keep. And both companies make a great product and hopefully both will stick around for a very long time. After all, competition is good for us all.
      06-22-2010, 10:32 PM   #2
BrianMN
Banned
Rep
Drives: 4 Door Family Sedan

Great Review
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 10:37 PM   #3
supracg
Banned
Rep
Drives: 135i

^+1
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 10:56 PM   #4
saferisk
Back in the BMW family
Australia
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

+100, thanks for taking the time and effort!
      06-22-2010, 10:56 PM   #5
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

+2

I've owned both and took advantage of the previous discount Shiv offered at $695 to switch over.

Have to agree on almost every point you state.

In the end.....the excellent datalogging graphics and the overall better driveability in day to day situations won me over and were more relevant to me than how fast my car was in the 1/4 mile.

But everyone has different priorities, so what is right for me may not be right for others.

You gotta decide that for yourself.

Best way is to try both and do as much independent research as you can to make your own informed opinion.

Lke Yandr says.....with JB I found there were times when I really loved that feeling of a freight train, but just as often I wondered where it would disappear to.

But to be fair.....there was a period of time when the high rpm misfires on my Procede were downright embarassing.

But both tunes have come a long way at solving their problems.

Glad to say that the latest Procede maps have brought back that sense of joy in driving that BMW markets about their brand.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 11:08 PM   #6
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [10.00]
nice review
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 11:21 PM   #7
ridin135
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day

Great review I came to the same conclustion as yourself
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 11:44 PM   #8
onesuperboi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 335i COBB 4.01 Stage 1

Great review. I appreciate feedback from people that have tried multiple tunes since they are more insightful and less biased.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 12:06 AM   #9
itsbrokeagain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1999 528iT, E53 X5, E46 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by saferisk View Post
+100, thanks for taking the time and effort!
I think i'll add another +1 to that
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 12:11 AM   #10
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Nice Review
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 12:59 AM   #11
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Cool heads and reason FTW.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 02:00 AM   #12
k726
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is

+1 on some solid information!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 02:18 AM   #13
opdare01
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i E92 AW

who's keep score
2009 335i E92 | Alpine White | Black Dakota Leather | M-Tech Kit | M3 Lip Spoiler | BMW Black Grilles | BMW PE | Dinan S2| BSH OCC | Sport Package | Premium Package | Logic7 | iDrive | VMR 19" V710 Gunmetal | Sports Steering Wheel w/ Paddle Shifters | Tinted Windows | GP Thunder 8500K V2 Angel Eyes
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 02:44 AM   #14
Enicinitas
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Gray Coupe

Thanks so much for your time and energy posting this. In my prior post I was hoping to get something along these lines from the GIAC crew, or, at least some good points to refute what I coined my experience with JB3 feeling "JERKY, kinda Schizo at times - on the same map too.) At any rate, it was productive, well worded, and non antagonistic. Not sure why A particular other person tells people to be quiet and stay out of tuning discussions unless you have tried both. The more people the better that can factually, or, at least use logical opinion to support their observations with multiple tunes (pluses and minus) GIAC and PRoceed in particular will help me out the most, the better some of us on the fence will be able to make a good decision. I have to admit that I haven't considered trying a proceed until I read you and the other jb3 "backslider's" comments.. It's helpful, and hopefully this can all stay out of the unhelpful attacks this newb is learning is the lay of the land.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 02:45 AM   #15
bgboost
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

I agree with your review.

I too had the JB3 2.0 for over a week and then moved to the PROcede 5-15 for a month and to the autotuning 6-16 maps today.

JB3 felt more raw and quite powerful at times, but it was not consistent. I had a noticeable bog in my 6MT but other than that it was great.

The new autotune from PROcede is awesome. This afternoon while learning in map1 91 oct/DCI I saw my ignition correction go to 100% and my boost drop down to 10.8 PSI. It was quite warm out..

I filled up with 100 octane and immediately saw the ignition correction drop to under 9 and boost slowly creep back up to about 13.1. Its so smooth. Its comforting knowing that when the conditions don't support it, the tune automatically goes conservative.....This is a double edged sword though ( looking for a FMIC/Downpipes/Oil cooler now) to sustain higher boost levels even on 91 octane...

I have noisy wastegates and the wastegate adjustability lets me get rid of the noise almost with a flick of a switch.

Thanks Shiv....great product
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 03:40 AM   #16
opdare01
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i E92 AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgboost View Post
I agree with your review.

I too had the JB3 2.0 for over a week and then moved to the PROcede 5-15 for a month and to the autotuning 6-16 maps today.

JB3 felt more raw and quite powerful at times, but it was not consistent. I had a noticeable bog in my 6MT but other than that it was great.

The new autotune from PROcede is awesome. This afternoon while learning in map1 91 oct/DCI I saw my ignition correction go to 100% and my boost drop down to 10.8 PSI. It was quite warm out..

I filled up with 100 octane and immediately saw the ignition correction drop to under 9 and boost slowly creep back up to about 13.1. Its so smooth. Its comforting knowing that when the conditions don't support it, the tune automatically goes conservative.....This is a double edged sword though ( looking for a FMIC/Downpipes/Oil cooler now) to sustain higher boost levels even on 91 octane...

I have noisy wastegates and the wastegate adjustability lets me get rid of the noise almost with a flick of a switch.

Thanks Shiv....great product
How did you get rid of the wastegate noise?
2009 335i E92 | Alpine White | Black Dakota Leather | M-Tech Kit | M3 Lip Spoiler | BMW Black Grilles | BMW PE | Dinan S2| BSH OCC | Sport Package | Premium Package | Logic7 | iDrive | VMR 19" V710 Gunmetal | Sports Steering Wheel w/ Paddle Shifters | Tinted Windows | GP Thunder 8500K V2 Angel Eyes
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 08:17 AM   #17
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 MR "Civic" ///M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
awesome to see this staying civl for now, and that some are getting use out of it. thanks to anyone that have productive comments with or agains what I said.
      06-23-2010, 08:55 AM   #18
elitt13
Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: 1///M Coupe & ///M2 CS DKG

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M coupé  [10.00]
2007 335i  [0.00]
great review

thanks yandyr and thanks shiv ....
      06-23-2010, 09:05 AM   #19
import36
Burrito bowl connoisseur
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Nissan GTR Black Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesuperboi View Post
Great review. I appreciate feedback from people that have tried multiple tunes since they are more insightful and less biased.
+1
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 10:36 AM   #20
a32guy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 335i

Between reviews like this and the new trade-in incentive, its been quite tempting to give the procede a try.
      06-23-2010, 11:31 AM   #21
kennejp
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

What is the trade-in incentive?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 11:33 AM   #22
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Great review.

I've been a long time JB3 owner and have had zero issues but i wouldn't mind trying the proceed one day just for comparison sakes.

I can totally agree with you where the power of the JB3 isn't nearly as smooth as a stock car. Power is def. there but its more on/off like.

Alan