E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > DAB+ Module

03-17-2012, 04:32 PM   #1
luster
Major
Rep
Drives: e90, e88

DAB+ Module

Hi there,

I'm having a really hard time getting my hands on a DAB+ module. It's not entirely difficult to find the standard DAB module, but the new DAB+ is next to impossible.

In Australia, our digital radio uses the DAB+ standard, so a tuner that is just standard DAB does not work at all (and DAB+ is not backwards compatible).

Additionally, DAB/DAB+ is not available as a retrofit, only as a factory option. I believe this is because you need to replace your rear windscreen for the DAB/DAB+ antenna.

After quite extensive digging around I have managed to locate the part number for the DAB+ unit, it is 65502310288.

Has anybody ever looked into adding a DAB+ unit to their car?

Is it even possible?

From my understanding, the radio is already programmed for DAB and should plug right in to the MOST bus. The VO for DAB is S654A, I would assume it is the same for DAB+.

My only other choice is to install an aftermarket DAB+ tuner, wire it into the CANBUS and tune it as RDS. Whilst this will work without any problems, its just not as appealing as factory fitted!

BMW has just started offering DAB+ as a factory option in the F series of cars. I do not know anybody that has it, nor have I seen it in the flesh.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 10:55 AM   #2
alpina527
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 DCT JZB/FR

I have just retrofitted nav to my 08 with Cic. I bought the combined Cic/Dab unit. Not sure if it covers Dab+ though.

It didn't need a new rear screen, it was just the diversity unit that needed changing. This sits behind the hi level brake light
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 10:26 PM   #3
GesterOz
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY10.5 E90 320D

I'm really trying to get this done for mine as DAB is so much better and tripple the amount of stations here.

luster - did you find out if we just connect the DAB+ module if it "magically" will start working on the CIC? I'm hoping it can use the existing sharkfin aerial too as a few aftermarket RDS DAB addons (such as AutoDAB) require an additional aerial to be attached.

I might just have to get a DAB+ adapter for the iPod/iPhone and play it through there

How would we even order this seperately on its own?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 03:13 AM   #4
alpina527
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

It turns out that my cic/dab unit is DAB+

Pretty much plug and play on 09+ cars with a little bit of coding.

Depending on what system you use in Oz denotes which of the two available aerials you will need.The UK uses the rear screen for band 111 signal, but Germany/France use the shark fin for band L signal.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 06:53 AM   #5
luster
Major
Rep

alpina, was the only coding you did adding VO $654? (DAB TUNER)

We only have DAB+ and it uses VHF signal. I'm not certain the difference between 111 and Band L.

Where did you get your unit from man? I really want to get one
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 07:01 AM   #6
luster
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GesterOz View Post
luster - did you find out if we just connect the DAB+ module if it "magically" will start working on the CIC? I'm hoping it can use the existing sharkfin aerial too as a few aftermarket RDS DAB addons (such as AutoDAB) require an additional aerial to be attached.

How would we even order this seperately on its own?
The DAB module will start working once the car has been coded as having the DAB module present. (Vehicle Option 654).

I'm yet to ascertain wether or not we need an additional antenna in Australia. It would be great to be able to use our existing sharkfin, but just not so sure it will be the case.

I have ordered an AutoDAB in the meantime to have a play.

BMW NA cannot order the DAB+ Part number

BMW DE tell me it cannot be ordered on its own as it is not a retrofit item

BMW AU tell me its not on their system yet, but if DE say its not a retrofit item, we will need to order it with an appropriate VIN (the F-series cars are supposedly the first to have DAB+ downunder).

I would love to get this going natively. If we don't get anywhere, I might make a guide once I install the AutoDAB
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 07:06 AM   #7
GesterOz
Australia
Rep

According to this (http://www.acma.gov.au/WEB/STANDARD/pc=PC_90054) VHF Band III uses 174-230Mhz and L Band is around 1450-1500Mhz.

If the Sharkfin only does L Band and in the UK they need an additional antennae for Band III then I think we're out of like being able to retrofit this and have it work with the current Sharkfin

Looks like AutoDAB is our only choice! Really keen to see how you go luster with your install. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 07:19 AM   #8
luster
Major
Rep

Might be a couple of weeks, getting my turbos replaced :/
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 07:23 AM   #9
GesterOz
Australia
Rep

whoah?? what happened to your turbo for it to be replaced?? It wasn't the CRDT was it?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 07:29 AM   #10
luster
Major
Rep

nah, the diesel is working perfectly (albeit a dodgy mulf unit i will get replaced once i remove the crd-t and find time to go to the dealer)

its my 135. Just after a 6 week build and peaking at 300kw - the day i registered it it blew a turbo.

somehow the compressor wheel became unbalanced and sheared off.

Advan look to be upgrading the internals and see if they can come up with a cost effective turbo upgrade for the n54.

I just hope its not out of action for too long
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 07:42 AM   #11
GesterOz
Australia
Rep

didn't know you had a 135 as well, lucky bastard

wow! 300kw is awesome though! I had that happen to me before on a 200sx, not fun or cheap

Cant imagine how much it would be to fix on a BMW.... good luck buddy - hope you get it back on the road soon
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 04:38 AM   #12
alpina527
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by luster View Post
alpina, was the only coding you did adding VO $654? (DAB TUNER)

We only have DAB+ and it uses VHF signal. I'm not certain the difference between 111 and Band L.

Where did you get your unit from man? I really want to get one
Yes, I just changed the diversity unit and coded 654.

Which band do you use in Oz? I use band 111 in UK which is already installed in the standard rear screen. I don't think band L is in the original shark fin though, but can't say for sure because we don't need it in the UK

As far as I know, there is no way to get the individual DAB module running with the later Cic equipped cars. You will need the combined Cic/Dab unit
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 01:48 PM   #13
dhallett1
Rep
Drives: 335d coupe

DAB antenna cable?

Hi sorry for bringing up an old thread but i was hoping someone might be able to help me.
ive got all the parts ready to do the cic retrofit in my pre lci 335d coupe except for the DAB antenna cable, ive got the new diversity amplifier for the rear screen but bmw cant seem to find the cable that goes from the back of the cic to the diversity?
has anyone who has done this before got the part number of the cable? or know where i can buy an aftermarket one from, i think its got yellow fakra connectors? they might be green though??? lol
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 05:37 AM   #14
dhallett1
Rep
Drives: 335d coupe

just a quick update:-

i have found a universal fakra extension cable that fits between the mustard colour connector on the back of the cic and to the mustard colour connector on the new diversity aerial.
funny enough i had to order it from audi! the part number is 000098656 (5m) or 0000098657 (6m).

in different countries the grenn coloured connectors are used for the dab, but this universal cable will fit either.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 10:12 AM   #15
rideous
Registered
Rep
Drives: E93 2011

DAB+

Hi All,

Do you mind to post the BMW DAB+ module part number here ?

I wonder there will be different module for DAB and DAB+

Thanks

Chris
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 08:50 PM   #16
watrob
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY2022 X5 M-Sport 45e White

Garage List
You have gone to alot of trouble to get DAB+, I have it in my X5 and its is great, the amount of stations is unreal, pity they are only in the major cities.

I have been working on getting BMW Apps, nearly there, about another week, have Pandora, as its allowed again, they had band IP address from overseas but it changed in July.

You should try it, just nominate your artist and it plays all there songs, its probably better than DAB.

Also I can now get SMS & eMails on the iDrive, when driving just push play and they are read out!

MY22 X5 M-Sport 45e White, 22"rims, Red Calipers, Ceramic Pads. Better off saying what it does not have and that's a B&O Audio System, otherwise all option boxes are ticked.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 02:52 PM   #17
lavar56
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhallett1 View Post
just a quick update:-

i have found a universal fakra extension cable that fits between the mustard colour connector on the back of the cic and to the mustard colour connector on the new diversity aerial.
funny enough i had to order it from audi! the part number is 000098656 (5m) or 0000098657 (6m).

in different countries the grenn coloured connectors are used for the dab, but this universal cable will fit either.
Hi, i've been wondering this too. Thanks for the info. How easy was it to install the cable between the DAB HU and Antenna?
I've an E90 and am a total novice!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 01:14 AM   #18
graham999au
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Coupe

Luster,

Did you get any further? Any ideas where I can get the diversity unit and CIC/DAB+ unit?

I drove the nex X5 on loan the other day and it had DAB+ so these parts are definitely available for Aus.
2011 E92 335i M Sport Coupe/DCT/Black Sapphire/Oyster/Bamboo Grain/Sunroof/OEM Performance Exhaust/Individual Audio/Heated Seats/TV/Folding Mirrors/6FL iPod/6NF Extended Connectivity/Internet/ACS Roof spoiler/ACS Aluminium Peddles
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 04:28 AM   #19
Schnooper
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Pure

Yeah I am interested too, I have a E92 that I would love to have DAB in.
Appreciate 0