E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Mediocre Gas Mileage

05-12-2015, 03:58 PM   #45
other_evolved
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 Chevrolet SS

I spoke with my SA and I'll be going in on Monday to see what's going on. The good news is she mentioned that CBU cleaning is usually covered under CPO (which I have) and building a case is always helpful.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 04:31 PM   #46
Thisonegoestoeleven
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335d

The whole CBU issue is one thing, where I suppose we have to decide to keep a fund for doing a preventative maintenance cleaning every so often(my choice), or get a warranty that hopefully covers it, or "hope" that it just doesn't occur. In my opinion, the cost really isn't an issue, though I accepted this going in. I can see the unexpecting owner being frustrated, having to make the choice after the surprise SES.

What really gets me is that some people have to go through months, in some cases, without the car that they fell in love with. I think that all of the hoopla required of getting a dealership to do this maintenance in a timely manner(a few days-mine took 3 at an Indy), is a big problem. I mean, okay, we have to buck up and accept the cost of money....but some people are losing vast amounts of time. Not acceptable in my book, and I would like to get some input from BMW- who I think needs to own up to this and make it an official maintenance item, out in the open. At least let people know what they are getting into....
      05-14-2015, 03:48 AM   #47
BimmerToolRental
Wannabe Mechanic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335D

I am rapidly approaching a month on mine at my local dealer. I have not been getting any updates from my SA, i have had to call in. Several "we will call you back with status" went unanswered. I luckily spoke to the assistant manager and politely stated my case.

I am a little put off by the fact that the manager didn't even know the status and kept throwing assumptions out. Even after he went to talk to the shop foreman he didn't seem to be any closer to a reasonable explanation. You think someone would know.

Lucky i have a second car, this could have gotten expensive. I also realize that special repairs take time, this is why i didn't jump all over them. I hope they get this done soon though.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 08:20 AM   #48
kbsilver
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340GT & '22 eDrive40

Having to wait weeks/months for a well known repair is not acceptable. The actual CBU cleaning takes 1 day if they are replacing the intake manifold. 2-3 if it's being cleaned. On my car they wanted to drive it for about 50 miles then reset the adaptation values on the injectors which added a day. (I gave permission for a tech to take it home for the night) I had it back in less than a week and now 10,000 miles later has been perfect ever since.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 09:01 AM   #49
other_evolved
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsilver View Post
Having to wait weeks/months for a well known repair is not acceptable. The actual CBU cleaning takes 1 day if they are replacing the intake manifold. 2-3 if it's being cleaned. On my car they wanted to drive it for about 50 miles then reset the adaptation values on the injectors which added a day. (I gave permission for a tech to take it home for the night) I had it back in less than a week and now 10,000 miles later has been perfect ever since.
Having to wait that long without a dealer loaner is even more ridiculous, in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 10:04 PM   #50
Tomnavigator
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 335D, V-10 Touareg Diesel

MarkM what year model 335D do you own? How did you modify your multiplication factor to correct the mileage calculation? Please write up a how to procedure.
Thanks,
Tom
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 11:32 AM   #51
other_evolved
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Dropped the car off this AM (X5 loaner). The SA was surprised to hear the mileage was that low, and said that CBU should be covered under CPO (my 4/50 expires next month). She was unsure as to what the tech's would be doing to check into the car, but I should hear back tomorrow. Verrrrry curious to see what they say.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 11:14 PM   #52
BimmerToolRental
Wannabe Mechanic
United_States
Rep

Update:

Finally got the "all done" call today right at a month in the shop. Just waiting for CarMax to issue payment and pick it up for additional repair. So now for round 2, I wonder how long it will be.

I have to say i was a little surprised at the cost to adjust the emergency brake. I have done the rear rotors and pads but i wound up saving nothing. I figured maybe about a 1/2 hour labor. Wound up being $210 and they didn't even have to take a wheel off. To be fair, the procedure to properly adjust them was absurd. I was going to attempt it but i do not have the equipment to properly test it as per the procedure.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 07:48 AM   #53
other_evolved
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by other_evolved View Post
Dropped the car off this AM (X5 loaner). The SA was surprised to hear the mileage was that low, and said that CBU should be covered under CPO (my 4/50 expires next month). She was unsure as to what the tech's would be doing to check into the car, but I should hear back tomorrow. Verrrrry curious to see what they say.
Annnnnd no problems found. No codes logged, hidden or otherwise, no sensors faulty, etc.

The SA said, at the very least, the "problem" has been logged so it helps support the case for CBU being covered if/when it occurs.

Edit: from the service invoice -- "Customer states that fuel economy is in the low 20s after 10 tanks. Cats were replaced when first purchased. Has been using correct cetane level fuel. Advise operation normal. Result: Short test charged the battery no relevant faults stored, no relevant sibs. Vehicle is rated 23mpg city/36mpg highway and the cluster reads the vehicle actual is 25mpg. Several factors can influence fuel efficiency, like drive conditions, road conditions and use of hvac."

Last edited by other_evolved; 05-19-2015 at 08:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 08:33 PM   #54
Ti317
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dwanted View Post
My typical commute is roughly 40% Interstate @ 75 to 80 MPH and secondary roads for the rest. I am averaging a consistent 28/29 MPG since purchasing used in August of last year (2009 w/ 65K miles). My average speed over the tank is typically 38 to 42 MPH according to the trip computer which I reset every time. I would strongly encourage hand calculating the MPG when filling up as the computer can be quite a bit off (mine consistently read 5% too low before I recently adjusted the trim via the hidden dash menu).

From what I can tell reading the forum, many if not most of the dealers are covering CBU repair under CPO so I would not be overly concerned about running out of the standard warranty.
Hidden dash menu? Tell us more!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 12:20 PM   #55
BimmerToolRental
Wannabe Mechanic
United_States
Rep

We are getting there. Car has been completed at BMW and retrieved by CarMax for additional repairs. Got a call that it was finished but they forgot one item. So on we go. Would be nice to have it back but have to be patient. Cant believe it has one more stop after this, on to the body shop.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 02:27 PM   #56
charlie fairmont
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: His & hers, GC & X5

Re: the body shop... Did they scratch something?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 03:43 PM   #57
Martin80k
Rep
n/a
Drives:

hey can someone enlighten me about this carbon build up, whether it's only north american thing as i understand that the oil there is of less quality or if it also includes european cars, since i have never heard about that here...btw, i would be interested to see if there is a way to lower the fuel consumption besides moderate driving that actually doesn't make that much difference to the spirited one in my opinion....
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 04:14 AM   #58
BimmerToolRental
Wannabe Mechanic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie fairmont View Post
Re: the body shop... Did they scratch something?

When i had just gotten it, i noticed there were a bit of dirt and grime under in the exposed chassis and components. I attempted to jack up the car and the jack pad i believe had already been broken. So the jack shifted outward and bent the rocker. So now has to be fixed.
Appreciate 0