E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Cost of ownership: e90 335d vs e39 M5

05-12-2015, 05:02 PM   #1
Thisonegoestoeleven
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335d

Cost of ownership: e90 335d vs e39 M5

http://carbuying.jalopnik.com/the-ch...ide-1597567975

I was reading this article and noticed some similarities. I may be off on this, but it seems like the maintenance cost of our cars is pretty in line with this particular M car. I was under the assumption that a non M BMW shouldn't cost the same to upkeep. Isn't it generally accepted that with M power, comes M cost? Is that difference nulled by our cost of ownership? If so, is that acceptable?

If one of the preclusions keeping people from owning the legendary M5 is the cost of maintenance, what does that mean for us? At what point does a passion for diesel outweigh owning an established masterpiece?

My diesel is still a masterpiece in my heart, but some might call it a madness. Just a thought.....
      05-12-2015, 08:25 PM   #2
dixy2k
Major
Rep

You should see the article regarding replacing the battery with every oil change.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 10:20 PM   #3
DWR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

It is not the cost of maintenance with the M5, it is the cost of repair. It dares you to hammer it. Why chose? Get an M5 too.

Our 335d and an M5 are 2 totally different experiences. I like both. Actually made this exact decision about a year ago. I chose the 335d and don't regret it, but I'll confess there are times I look back ...
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 10:49 PM   #4
Thisonegoestoeleven
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWR View Post
It is not the cost of maintenance with the M5, it is the cost of repair. It dares you to hammer it. Why chose? Get an M5 too.

Our 335d and an M5 are 2 totally different experiences. I like both. Actually made this exact decision about a year ago. I chose the 335d and don't regret it, but I'll confess there are times I look back ...
Please don't encourage me.......
The last time I went to check out an irresistibly awesome BMW, I went home with one.

It is kind of interesting how many similarities these two share on paper, yet provide quite different driving experiences in the real world.
      05-13-2015, 08:49 AM   #5
chau
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I've had my 335d for 2 1/2 years and put about 40k miles on it. Minus the warranty work I've had done, the only out of pocket expense has been normal maintenance including oil, fuel filter, air/cabin filter, brakes, and tires.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 11:34 AM   #6
merkis1024
United_States
Rep
Drives: S2000. 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisonegoestoeleven View Post

I was reading this article and noticed some similarities. I may be off on this, but it seems like the maintenance cost of our cars is pretty in line with this particular M car.
In what ways would the 335d maintenance be comparable to that of the E39 M5? In another post, I asked what is a conservative maintenance schedule. Forum members advised me of the usual oil change, at 6k miles not 12k, transmission fluid at 50k, urea fill up occasionally, and coolant/brake fluid change. Ah, and fuel filter.

These are not that different than my track-duty Honda, except for the fuel filter and urea refill. Perhaps your'e referring to a repair cost? Typical problems I've read are CBU and problems in the emission systems.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 05:38 PM   #7
Persian Whisperjet
Kind of a Big Deal
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

The jalopnik article is laughably conservative about the cost of owning an M5 ($200 for a timing chain replacement -- really?) but you don't but a 15-year-old M5 to save money.

Then again, the diesel has not been at all hard on my wallet. At 50K miles, the cost of owning my 2011 335d has been almost entirely preventive -- the approx $2,500 cost of taking stuff OFF the car.
      05-13-2015, 09:17 PM   #8
fsd350
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335d

Garage List
Gotta pay to play... Oil change and wiper blades on a Bentley at my customer's shop ran $1k. Don't like it? Buy a Hyundai. BMW are at a high end of precision for such a mainstream vehicle. It is probably difficult to engineer a high performance vehicle that could be driven (or reviewed) by a mindless, throttle smashing chimp or a brake riding pansy and not know which. All while still being the Ultimate Driving Machine. I would much rather own a kick - ass, precision driving machine that needs a battery or a quart of oil every 10 k than suffer along in a Toyota swathed in comfy leather and gold badging for the same retail price. No offense, IMO only.
Appreciate 2
      05-13-2015, 11:22 PM   #9
merkis1024
United_States
Rep
Drives: S2000. 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsd350 View Post
Gotta pay to play... Oil change and wiper blades on a Bentley at my customer's shop ran $1k. Don't like it? Buy a Hyundai. BMW are at a high end of precision for such a mainstream vehicle. It is probably difficult to engineer a high performance vehicle that could be driven (or reviewed) by a mindless, throttle smashing chimp or a brake riding pansy and not know which. All while still being the Ultimate Driving Machine. I would much rather own a kick - ass, precision driving machine that needs a battery or a quart of oil every 10 k than suffer along in a Toyota swathed in comfy leather and gold badging for the same retail price. No offense, IMO only.
easy there... OP is comparing E39 M5 and 335d, both of which are the ultimate driving machines. He's asking why is the cost of maintenance on 335d comparable to an M5.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 12:00 AM   #10
fsd350
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
You're right. Apologies guys
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 04:22 PM   #11
mrgarciainc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335d, E39 M5

I have both. I just figure everytime the car goes to the shop, its going to cost $1k. Probably a good idea to do a square setup on the wheels to so you can rotate and more life out of them. I bought the 335d so I can sell the M5. Although the 335d is more tossable and fun, there is something about the M5 thats not letting me get rid of her. Just feels so stable and smooth on the highway. Plus the manual transimission helps.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 04:28 PM   #12
Thisonegoestoeleven
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgarciainc View Post
I have both. I just figure everytime the car goes to the shop, its going to cost $1k. Probably a good idea to do a square setup on the wheels to so you can rotate and more life out of them. I bought the 335d so I can sell the M5. Although the 335d is more tossable and fun, there is something about the M5 thats not letting me get rid of her. Just feels so stable and smooth on the highway. Plus the manual transimission helps.
It was my understanding that the M5 would be the more "tossable and fun" car. Would you mind elaborating on the differences in handling? It would be a ways off, but I've entertained the thought of adding an e39 to the stable. A manual would be nice. I drove my mom's manual jeep today, after not having driven a manual for maybe four years, and I really do miss having at least one manual to play with every now and again.
      05-20-2015, 06:17 PM   #13
peteyypab
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Just a few others

Another E39 M5 Owner checking in:

How many of us are around here??

I've had the D for about 6 months and have racked 15k! The D has cost me $195 (CPO Deductible, and an Oil Change )

The M5 on the other hand (less than 1000 miles driven) has cost me $300 (thermostat and Window Regulator) both gave up the ghost in protest of the new car I'm sure of it!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 11:45 PM   #14
dzlmoose
Lieutenant
Egypt
Rep
Drives: Trek 7.2, 2001 M5

I sold my D and am picking up an E39 M5 soon. I knew once I sold my D I would need 2 cars to replace it.

So the E39 M5 for the summer and a TDi for the winter and long distance trips.

I was going thru withdrawal, I am addicted to driving manual. I always wanted an E39 so I figured now was the time plus I sold the D for the right price.

I will probably get back into a BMW diesel when the X5's start dropping in price a little more and I require the extra space.

Can't say much for maintenance costs on the E39 M5 but from my research if you can do the work yourself then they are not that bad and the forums have a DIY for anything you can think of.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 06:21 PM   #15
fsd350
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzlmoose View Post
I sold my D and am picking up an E39 M5 soon. I knew once I sold my D I would need 2 cars to replace it.

So the E39 M5 for the summer and a TDi for the winter and long distance trips.

I was going thru withdrawal, I am addicted to driving manual. I always wanted an E39 so I figured now was the time plus I sold the D for the right price.

I will probably get back into a BMW diesel when the X5's start dropping in price a little more and I require the extra space.

Can't say much for maintenance costs on the E39 M5 but from my research if you can do the work yourself then they are not that bad and the forums have a DIY for anything you can think of.
We were looking pretty hard and almost bought an E39 M5, but could not find one that met our expectations in our area. They are awesome cars that are still easily serviceable for the average DIY. Had an e39 540i Sport 6 speed for several years (just sold) and loved it. Be sure to post some pics!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 07:12 PM   #16
Thisonegoestoeleven
Enlisted Member
Rep

Aside from the e39 being a manual, is there a huge difference in the feel of the two cars? Is the suspension in the e90 sports package still lacking compared to the e39 from over a decade ago? I know I really need to drive it to know, but what would you guys say the main differences are? On paper, they both seem to be in the same ballpark on a lot of the figures and purpose. It seems like there are multiple people who cross shop between them. How are the "on paper" stats translating to the driver on the road, to make a decision for one or the other? Some choose both. For me, the e39 brings a feeling of nostalgia, as the first BMW of which I took notice. The e90 was the first BMW that I actually drove. I'm not concerned about "which is better". I guess I'm really just after your opinions on the ultimate driving experience of the two cars.
      05-28-2015, 08:06 PM   #17
fsd350
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisonegoestoeleven View Post
Aside from the e39 being a manual, is there a huge difference in the feel of the two cars? Is the suspension in the e90 sports package still lacking compared to the e39 from over a decade ago? I know I really need to drive it to know, but what would you guys say the main differences are? On paper, they both seem to be in the same ballpark on a lot of the figures and purpose. It seems like there are multiple people who cross shop between them. How are the "on paper" stats translating to the driver on the road, to make a decision for one or the other? Some choose both. For me, the e39 brings a feeling of nostalgia, as the first BMW of which I took notice. The e90 was the first BMW that I actually drove. I'm not concerned about "which is better". I guess I'm really just after your opinions on the ultimate driving experience of the two cars.
I don't feel the e90 sport package is sub par compared to e39 sport, it is actually tighter. The e39 M5 is a different story. Hope I'm not writing a book here.
The 1st e39 I had was an 03 that only lacked the V8, sport package and manual. GREAT car but I always wondered what it would be like to have more power, a manual and tighter suspension. Got a great deal on an Audi A8 after that, nice car but never felt as quick as that 530i and definitely did not handle as well or have the driving experience. Let my x have it in the divorce. I test drove a couple e46 330i sports but wanted more power. A few years later bought my e39 540i with sport package and manual. This was the car I always wanted! My GF and I named her Bella. Many say that the e39 was the pinnacle sporting sedan for BMW- a lot of technology and luxury while still being a true drivers car. I agree.
I really loved mine. I performed some normal maintenance for an older e39 V8 with 1300,00 miles: struts, full cooling system, cats, engine and trans mounts, shift bushings, center bearing, guibo, plugs, filters, fluids, VCG, brakes, A/C service. Not a ton of money to DIY. Having a laptop and interface cable helps too. After a few years we started looking at e39 M5's. Compared to my e39 sport they were much faster and more solid all over. There is a lot more than a 100 hp difference between them. BMW underrated the HP spec on paper for sure. We couldn't find the right deal for the right car though. Maintenance history is the most important item on any of these M cars for long term ownership. (or any BMW) It needs to be more frequent than BMW's CBS or their other recommendations IMO.
My e39's never felt big or mushy to me and our 540i was downright fast, a few WRX and EVO's have been embarrassed by our 4-door sedan Bella! Our e90 d (Gunter) feels sharper, rides a bit firmer and is definitely smaller in and out, although curb weight is the same. Note: the e90 is a newer chassis by 10 years than the e39. We decided on our d as it was the best of performance, economy and I have owned diesels in the past. I will be working on the alphabet delete soon. We meant to keep Bella too but we already had 4 cars and didn't have the room. Wouldn't be fair to put her outside. Sold her to a friend of mine on the condition he sells her back to us someday. Paddle shifting autos are ok, but I really miss rowing the manual. Wish I had both cars. Seat of the pants speed and driving experience would have to go to the e39 M5 by a long shot IMO. See if you can go on some extended drives with the selling party to make your decision more clear. Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 08:25 PM   #18
dzlmoose
Lieutenant
Egypt
Rep
Drives: Trek 7.2, 2001 M5

I just picked up my E39 M5 today.

Driving a manual again is a rush. Hearing the exhaust is amazing. The absence of turbo lag is evident. Driving a car that I used have a poster of in my room is priceless. (this message was sponsored by Mastercard)

I can't really provide a comparison for the suspension, because the suspension on the M5 is upgraded.

I will report back after a couple of weeks. If you are thinking of getting an E39 M5, don't wait clean examples are getting hard to find. Head over the M5board and read up. Go drive one if you can find one at a dealer.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 09:48 PM   #19
Thisonegoestoeleven
Enlisted Member
Rep

As much as I wish it weren't , it's still just a dream for me at this point. My thought is that once I get a bit more into my automotive school/career transition, I might be able to swing an e39 m5 for a project to work on as I progress in school. I want to learn as much as I can and I find that having projects that you're passionate about really help you to follow through with goals. Even if I had to get one that needed a lot of work, as long as the drivetrain was solid, it would be okay. I want to learn upholstery, paint, etc., so maybe having to wait a bit for the dream to realize is a good thing. It's funny...I never cared one lick about cars until two years ago when I got a VW TDI, out of the blue. Took a long test drive in the 335d last year, and that was it.....I was hooked.
      05-28-2015, 10:24 PM   #20
fsd350
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I found a nice builder M5 with 79k miles this spring, or so I thought. Would have been a steal and ran really strong. As I dug into it, it had the engine replaced, mileage didn't match maintenance records, a couple modules were not coded/communicating to the car, (a couple extras in the trunk, radio and amp too(lol),aftermarket halogen lighting, etc etc. Too many fault codes to list. If something is too good to be true it usually is. He wanted 17k. I told him I did not want to insult him but if no-one buys it give me a call. I would have given him 5k. An M5 without a numbers matching drive train is a poor investment. Would have been a lot of work to get it right, but body was decent and ran great.
Appreciate 0