E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > PIR track night June 12, 2015

05-18-2015, 10:02 AM   #1
command_liner
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

Garage List
PIR track night June 12, 2015

At last Friday's event I did not see any of you. Is anybody else interested in blowing out some soot in mid June?

The PIR/SCCA event is pretty typical track day fare. Bring your car, some closed toed shoes, full coverage clothing and a helmet. Drive as fast as you can on the track. There is a preview session then there are rotating sessions for novice, intermediate and advanced groups. Cost is $150.

http://www.tracknightinamerica.com/e...tional-raceway

If you have never driven PIR, spend an hour on YouTube learning the line.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 11:42 AM   #2
335dFan
Jumping Jack Flash
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by command_liner View Post
At last Friday's event I did not see any of you. Is anybody else interested in blowing out some soot in mid June?

The PIR/SCCA event is pretty typical track day fare. Bring your car, some closed toed shoes, full coverage clothing and a helmet. Drive as fast as you can on the track. There is a preview session then there are rotating sessions for novice, intermediate and advanced groups. Cost is $150.

http://www.tracknightinamerica.com/e...tional-raceway

If you have never driven PIR, spend an hour on YouTube learning the line.
I thought about it. Have done only two track days, back at Summit Point in WV, the first with my OEM setup and the second with my current suspension setup and Michelin PSS tires (which are no longer on the car due to their demise). I enjoyed the adrenaline-filled 15-20 minute sessions and the good tips from the instructor in the pax seat. Noticed that certain track configurations really favor our 335d torque-monsters over almost everything else. Anyway, moving on past my musings, are there any inspection sheets required? Do novices get an experienced head in the pax seat? I'm not exactly a novice driver (54 years behind the wheel), but I would only claim modest track skills, and I like the professional advice.

Last edited by 335dFan; 05-18-2015 at 02:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 12:03 PM   #3
command_liner
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dFan View Post
I thought about it. Have done only two track days, back at Summit Point in WV, the first with my OEM setup and the second with my current suspension setup and Michelin PSS tires (which are no longer on the car due to their demise). I enjoyed the adrenaline-filled 15-20 minute sessions and the good tips from the instructor in the pax seat. Noticed that certain track configurations really favor our 335d torque-monsters over almost everything else. Any, moving on past my musings, are there any inspection sheets required? Do novices get an experienced head in the pax seat? I'm not exactly a novice driver (54 years behind the wheel), but I would only claim modest track skills, and I like the professional advice.
The track was not marked with brake or turn points, and there was no instruction available. You could bring your own instructor, but he would need to be signed up at full price. If you have track time, you do not need to be in the novice group. You can self-inspect and hand in your sheet when you arrive.

The novice group had novices in it. I feel old saying this, but there was a lot more bling visible than skill visible watching the novices. It looked more dangerous than the other groups. I was surprised to find slow people in the intermediate group: I did not expect to run down and pass faster cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 02:07 PM   #4
335dFan
Jumping Jack Flash
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by command_liner View Post
The track was not marked with brake or turn points, and there was no instruction available. You could bring your own instructor, but he would need to be signed up at full price. If you have track time, you do not need to be in the novice group. You can self-inspect and hand in your sheet when you arrive.

The novice group had novices in it. I feel old saying this, but there was a lot more bling visible than skill visible watching the novices. It looked more dangerous than the other groups. I was surprised to find slow people in the intermediate group: I did not expect to run down and pass faster cars.
You're probably right about it being more dangerous in the novice group, particularly without instructors on board. Do the groups above novice, at least the next one higher, have a "permission to pass" rule in effect? In other words, you can't pass unless the driver waves you by?

If you were driving your 335d, it is amazing how well they stack up against almost all other vehicles, including M cars. The real difference I noticed at the track is the difference in driver skills.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 02:12 PM   #5
command_liner
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dFan View Post
You're probably right about it being more dangerous in the novice group, particularly without instructors on board. Do the groups above novice, at least the next one higher, have a "permission to pass" rule in effect? In other words, you can't pass unless the driver waves you by?
Yes, permission to pass was in effect. Only pass where safe and on signal. It may be that that there were a few involuntary passes involved. I passed on C9 with very limited signal one time, but the car was way right and 20 mph slow. (What did he expect?)
Appreciate 0