E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Known resolution for the "sticky brake" problem?

10-06-2008, 02:25 PM   #89
NJ2810-335i
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i SE Auto

No TSB, just a technician who knew what he was doing! From what i was told when I picked the car up the fault was with the Yaw sensor which didn't know when the car was level. The gearbox adaptations and DSC were reset because they were likely to be corrupted by false readings from the Yaw sensor. The car had also suffered from a 'jerky' 6AT especially when pulling off, again this has totally disappeared.

The car is now seriously good, next change get rid of the awful Bridgestone RE050a's and put Goodyear F1 asymmetrics - already done this with my Z4 with amazing results.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 01:31 PM   #90
Docray1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2810-335i View Post
No TSB, just a technician who knew what he was doing! From what i was told when I picked the car up the fault was with the Yaw sensor which didn't know when the car was level. The gearbox adaptations and DSC were reset because they were likely to be corrupted by false readings from the Yaw sensor. The car had also suffered from a 'jerky' 6AT especially when pulling off, again this has totally disappeared.

The car is now seriously good, next change get rid of the awful Bridgestone RE050a's and put Goodyear F1 asymmetrics - already done this with my Z4 with amazing results.
I really would like more info on this or even a contact name and number at your dealer because my dealer is claiming that this is "normal" for this car and that it is even cosidered a "feature" (yeah, right. . . ). Any assistance is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2008, 11:41 AM   #91
NJ335xi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335xi

What BMW said to me

After a few trips to BMW, they thought I was crazy. I finally got there first thing took the tech out and replicated the issue.

After a few days they call me to say BMW is working on a software fix and it will be out in a month (Dec 09). They think it is an issue with the valve that releases the brake pads. It is also used by the hill hold function.

If it is the yaw sensor, I will ask them to replace it.
      11-14-2008, 11:54 AM   #92
e36
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMWs

hey NJ335, what dealer did you go to??

i've brought it to morristown numerous times, but they keep giving me the "thats how its designed" excuse
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 10:13 AM   #93
Docray1
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ335xi View Post
After a few trips to BMW, they thought I was crazy. I finally got there first thing took the tech out and replicated the issue.

After a few days they call me to say BMW is working on a software fix and it will be out in a month (Dec 09). They think it is an issue with the valve that releases the brake pads. It is also used by the hill hold function.

If it is the yaw sensor, I will ask them to replace it.
Please post any follow up information when you get it; the name of your dealer and their service manager would be helpful as well. Hopefully an update will correct this annoying issue once and for all!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 10:06 AM   #94
pwdrskr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Audi allroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92er View Post
They couldn't replicate the problem and so there's nothing they could do...took a tech for a drive, he said i was giving it too much gas and that I needed to learn how to go easy on my car
+1. I really hate the &%#$^* "we couldn't reproduce the problem" excuse by dealerships.

I notice the problem most when driving the car cold. After it warms up, the problem is less evident...

I am planning on returning to the dealer in January when the new Progman comes out.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 10:12 AM   #95
pwdrskr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Audi allroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by tag824 View Post
This is what happens when you try to apply technology that is "not ready for prime time". If they just had a way to turn this crap off it wouldn't be an issue. I doubt they are going to address this any time soon as it's been a problem for over 2 years now. Simply ridiculous...
I had this feature on a 2004 Toyota 4Runner and it worked flawlessly.

Now that I think of it, sometimes the break assist doesn't always work when it should: when stopped on a hill!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 08:20 PM   #96
BMdblU
Brigadier General
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36 View Post
hey NJ335, what dealer did you go to??

i've brought it to morristown numerous times, but they keep giving me the "thats how its designed" excuse
My deal has told me the same thing several times.. it's hilarious
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2008, 11:52 AM   #97
jtenenb
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Is this it?

I saw this TSB posted in another part of the forum...it kinda describes what some of you seem to be saying. Might be worth asking the dealer for a reprogram based on it just to see: http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/B240308g.htm

Incidentally, I have been having this issue for awhile now and have all the same symptoms: auto transmission, usually when car is cold, brakes seem to stick at a stop and then sometimes it would kinda lurch forward. I took the car to my dealer a few days ago and they gave me the same song and dance, "its a feature and there is no way to disable it". I asked them to upgrade the software for another issue (ipod dropouts) and they did and upgraded all of the cars modules so hopefully the brake thing will be aided as well. I'll post my results after a few drives.

-J
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2008, 01:00 PM   #98
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

^ That actually looks like the problem we are all having. I'm going to wait until they come out with the new PROGMAN that does not have the turbo lag in January and get the update then.

Thanks jtenenb.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2008, 01:26 PM   #99
Docray1
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtenenb View Post
I saw this TSB posted in another part of the forum...it kinda describes what some of you seem to be saying. Might be worth asking the dealer for a reprogram based on it just to see: http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/B240308g.htm

Incidentally, I have been having this issue for awhile now and have all the same symptoms: auto transmission, usually when car is cold, brakes seem to stick at a stop and then sometimes it would kinda lurch forward. I took the car to my dealer a few days ago and they gave me the same song and dance, "its a feature and there is no way to disable it". I asked them to upgrade the software for another issue (ipod dropouts) and they did and upgraded all of the cars modules so hopefully the brake thing will be aided as well. I'll post my results after a few drives.

-J
Thanks for this information. My car does ALL of that, but also continues even when warm. I will look forward to seeing if the updates correct your issues. I will also be waiting for the turbo-lag fix due in January before I do anything; my car is in storage now, anyway!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2008, 01:28 PM   #100
e36
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Has anyone brought the car into the dealer and had this reprogram done? I'm so glad I saw this today, as my car is in for a major oil leak.

I feel that if I get them that SI# they will tell me, "oh, that's for 335 and 535 only".

e90 is such a great car.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2009, 09:53 AM   #101
NJ335xi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335xi

The fix is in

Flemington BMW fixed mine with some new software.

The problem with the problem is it only happens when the car in cold and it takes up to 5 seconds for the "sticking" to happen.

My dealer kept sending me home with the “could not replicate”. After the third time, I returned the loner in the morning and took the manager out, drive it to a stop, waited and it happened.

They have to park it overnight, start it, drive it, come to a stop, count to ten and then try to move.
      02-24-2009, 04:37 PM   #102
jhbodle
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ335xi View Post
Flemington BMW fixed mine with some new software.

The problem with the problem is it only happens when the car in cold and it takes up to 5 seconds for the "sticking" to happen.

My dealer kept sending me home with the “could not replicate”. After the third time, I returned the loner in the morning and took the manager out, drive it to a stop, waited and it happened.

They have to park it overnight, start it, drive it, come to a stop, count to ten and then try to move.
That's my problem exactly. The latest software hasn't fixed the problem with mine though. Tried v31.1 first and then v32 - problem appears fixed for the first few days but then returns as bad as ever.

It's really annoying me now - I gave this bulletin (http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/B240308g.htm) to the dealer and they carried out the instructions but the problem persists.

What's the best way forward for me to solve this? Is there some sort of reprogramming box I can buy to fix this myself? I feel like i'm running out of options...
      02-24-2009, 05:02 PM   #103
jtenenb
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhbodle View Post
That's my problem exactly. The latest software hasn't fixed the problem with mine though. Tried v31.1 first and then v32 - problem appears fixed for the first few days but then returns as bad as ever.

It's really annoying me now - I gave this bulletin (http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/B240308g.htm) to the dealer and they carried out the instructions but the problem persists.

What's the best way forward for me to solve this? Is there some sort of reprogramming box I can buy to fix this myself? I feel like i'm running out of options...
I had my car flashed in November and had no luck...then, I found the aforementioned service bulletin and I'm going to bring that and just tell them to disable the NIC as the bulletin says may be necessary (which did NOT used to be in the bulletin as I have a printed out copy from just a month ago, so there is hope that BMW is listening at least). I'll report back later this month after I take my car in.

-J
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 05:27 PM   #104
jhbodle
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I had my car flashed in November and had no luck...then, I found the aforementioned service bulletin and I'm going to bring that and just tell them to disable the NIC as the bulletin says may be necessary (which did NOT used to be in the bulletin as I have a printed out copy from just a month ago, so there is hope that BMW is listening at least). I'll report back later this month after I take my car in.

-J
Please do, although I fear they have already done that on my car and it doesn't work (they followed the latest bulletin instructions that you now have)
      02-24-2009, 05:29 PM   #105
jtenenb
Rep

Quote:
Please do, although I fear they have already done that on my car and it doesn't work (they followed the latest bulletin instructions that you now have)
Did they do the full deactivation of the NIC?

-J
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 05:58 PM   #106
jhbodle
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Did they do the full deactivation of the NIC?

-J
They said they performed what the bulletin said to do, so I have to assume they did. Hopefully they didn't because then there's hope it can still be fixed!
      02-24-2009, 06:02 PM   #107
jtenenb
Rep

Quote:
They said they performed what the bulletin said to do, so I have to assume they did. Hopefully they didn't because then there's hope it can still be fixed!
Reading through that bulletin it looks like a full disabling of the NIC is a last resort and only upon customer request (how you'd know to request that is a whole other issue), so I'd ask them b/c they probably only did the first step of reflashing the EGS.

-J
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 06:21 PM   #108
jhbodle
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Reading through that bulletin it looks like a full disabling of the NIC is a last resort and only upon customer request (how you'd know to request that is a whole other issue), so I'd ask them b/c they probably only did the first step of reflashing the EGS.

-J
I'll ask them, thanks. And let me know how yours gets on!
      02-28-2009, 01:19 PM   #109
Kurfer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Coupe

I am happy I saw this thread, this happens to me quite often and I was afraid my calipers were damaged or locked.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2009, 01:16 PM   #110
jtenenb
Rep

FIXED

Quote:
I'll ask them, thanks. And let me know how yours gets on!
They applied the bulletin (with the last resort "retrofit" programming) and it is 100% fixed. So be sure to go to the dealer armed with the printout of the TSB so that there is no confusion as to what you want, and they should be able to do it relatively quickly.

-J
Appreciate 0