E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Battery - warranty replacement?

10-29-2012, 04:33 PM   #1
spirocheter
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F11 535d, E90 335d

Battery - warranty replacement?

I have a 2008 335d and I think the battery is on the way out. I had raised it with my dealer when it was in for the maintenance check before it reached the end of the AUC warranty. I was told it was due to short trips the battery was virtually out after leaving it for a week.

I have driven a 200 mile round trip and also an 80 mile round trip in he last week and after leaving it for two days, it turns over quite reluctantly, seems clear to me a new battery is required.

I extended the warranty on a zero excess basis.

I'm aware any new battery would need to be coded by my dealer, but should the battery be covered under warranty, and if not, how much should I expect to be charged?

Ay help would be much appreciated.

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 05:49 PM   #2
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC.

Halliwell Jones replaced both the battery and starter on my old 530d under warranty after it failed to start quickly once.

Personally, I'd get a Bosch or similar battery of the same spec as is in the car and to blazes with the coding - yes, the battery may have a shorter life, but consider the relatively small cost of a new, quality, battery to the cost of coding.

That new battery lasted for about 4 years when it wouldn't turn over after being left outside for 2 weeks - if I used the car every few days, it was fine. As I was selling the car, I put on a Bosch with a 5 year warranty, and didn't code it.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 04:28 PM   #3
spirocheter
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks Mike.

I'll speak with my dealer in a couple of days and see what their response is like. I should hope they will come through, they had implied if it remained a problem after raising it before the AUC warranty ended I should be good.... But why they didn't just replace it I don't know, I don't like having to argue too hard for things, then I suppose this is why they might present obstacles.

Failing this, I'll get a Bosch as you suggest, Eurocarparts are doing a 15% discount presently.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 06:50 AM   #4
Guvernator
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i SE Cabriolet

Normally a battery will not be covered under warranty as it's classified as a consumable item i.e. it will run down\wear out through normal use. However I did get mine replaced as a goodwill gesture by my dealer so I guess it just depends how good your relationship is with them as to what they will do.

Oh and if your car is still under warranty, you will need to replace it with an original battery anyway as if you replace it with something else, any problems which may arise from the non original battery won't be covered. It sucks as the OE battery is twice the price of a decent Bosch unit but that's just the way it is.

I was also told my dealer that a non OE battery without coding could throw up errors or cause problems although he may just have been talking rubbish.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 07:00 PM   #5
spirocheter
First Lieutenant
Rep

Cheers.

Thanks also for the very useful post. I can see your point, I do not want to do anything which may invalidate my extended warranty. I'll see how my dealer views it when I talk to them and will post an update - likely to be tomorrow (just got back off a few days holiday tonight and I doubt the car will start after this cold snap).
Appreciate 0