Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Best winter tires?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

05-17-2015, 08:35 PM   #1
E92NYC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i

Best winter tires?

What are the best winter tires in terms of traction, durability, and comfort? I am thinking of Michelin x-ice Xi3 or Bridgestone Blizzak LM-32. What do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2015, 09:48 PM   #2
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Here's what tirerack says. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...sp?type=W&VT=C
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 02:04 AM   #3
drmdvl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 50i, 2015 Macan Turbo

Garage List
After reading many forum posts, I went with Nokian Hakka R2s for my 335i XDrive coupe this winter. By far, the best winter snow and ice tire I've ever used! Affordable, comfortable ride, great handling, amazing acceleration especially on hills in snow, ice, and slush and good stopping performance. Put on about 6000 miles since the fall with more warm days than snow and the tread wear was exceptional. Even with DTC activated it takes effort to get the wheels to slip. XDrive and these snow tires were unstoppable this winter.
Only con if I had to think of one is they are a little noisier than others on warm days at highway speeds, but not any more than my summer run flats.
It will be hard to convince me to ever switch back to x-ice or blizzaks.
      05-18-2015, 07:41 AM   #4
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Not a fan of my x-ice tires much at all. Turning and stopping performance is just "ok" in slush/snow. Also, if there is ANY type of accumulation on the ground, there is pretty much no traction in the rear when taking off from a stop. Dry weather straight line grip is fantastic no matter the ambient outside temperature though, but that hardly makes up for the fact that they are terrible in actual winter conditions. The only other tire that seems worth trying is the Nokian, as noted above.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 09:15 AM   #5
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly 1995 M3

We aren't sure what will be available for next winter season as of yet; we usually start to get that information around September.

Based on last years information, top choices for maximum snow and ice traction included the Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 and Michelin Xice Xi3. For performance winter tires that give up some ultimate snow/ice traction for better dry road handling, check out the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 and Bridgestone Blizzak LM32.

Note that all of these suggestions are non run flat tires.

Winter http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AH8&...nter/index.jsp

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.
Appreciate 0