E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Driving in Italy...Help!!!

11-04-2005, 03:29 PM   #23
Ben in italy
Rep
Drives: 325i

Good luck driving in Italy, especially Rome. I wouldn't DARE drive a brand new bimmer in Rome. Yikes!!! Too scary!!

Wife of Ben in Italy
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2005, 03:53 PM   #24
eimSD
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Arctic 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxapilot118
Thanks all...I ended up just getting the permit. I didn't think I had time since I had a day and a half before leaving, but after driving an hour to the nearest AAA, they did it on the spot for $25+tax.
It's not Italy but Austria and Switzerland I was told require the international drivers license. (in addition to the vignette you need to buy to drive in Austria, you pick those up at any gas station on the way, the ED person will inform you about those) I don't know what route you're taking to get from Munich to Italy, but if you're going through either of those two countries, it's good to have. We were never asked for it, though.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2005, 10:01 PM   #25
lxapilot118
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i + SC Mustang

Thanks...according to my info, you need the permit to drive in Austria and Italy. Switzerland will honor a stateside license, and requires the vignette. I found out today that since I'm in the military, I can buy fuel coupons so I pay US prices for gas. That'll save some money!
      11-04-2005, 10:49 PM   #26
CALIF65GM
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e93-35 May08 ED

Garage List
Have a good trip and enjoy the car?

Did you leave already?

Debadged 330xi ED 11/14/05 Auto/Mystic Blue/Gray leather with Alum/PP/SP/CA/Fold-down rear seats/Alarm. Sold to Carmax on 6/7/08 with 50,624 miles on clock
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2005, 11:48 PM   #27
acd483
Private
Rep
Drives: two feet

What's everyone afraid of Roman driving for? It's pretty simple and to be honest, I trust the Italians far more than anyone Stateside.

That said, you have to make your presence known, or you'll get eaten alive.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2005, 03:14 AM   #28
davide
Private First Class
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d E90

hehehehe Italy.....

where do yuo go? only Rome?

Bye from Italy...
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2005, 02:43 PM   #29
com_mander
Rep
Drives: 325i sport package

I lived and drove in Rome for a year with a north american license, no problems. My buddy hit a scooter, having only a canadian license, cops came, they explained that the license was valid but that they charge 70 euros for 'translating' the license into Italian.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2005, 09:42 PM   #30
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Stay away from Paris until things settle down.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2005, 06:18 AM   #31
lwongveros
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

1. when renting a car in most countries you usually don't need the International Permit, your NA licence is usually good enough. if you're driving someone else's car or your own, then usually you do.

2. some suggestions in Italy (and generally most of Europe), on the autostradda, keep lights on, stay on the right line except to pass, when passing keep indicator on while making the pass, drive assertively, keep your distance for sudden stops, when you have to slow down quickly put your 4-way indicators (hazards) to warn drivers behind you...

3. have fun, driving in Europe is much more rewarding that in NA (in my opinion!!) !!!

Appreciate 0
      11-06-2005, 06:43 AM   #32
Nemis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330d -> 550Nm@1750

4) don't go too slow, workers here don't want lost time, it may stay too close to your rear bumper if can't pass or think they go too slow. (speed limit too many times are absurd for travel)

330d attiva, SG, dakota Terra, 162 18", xeno als, pcd front & rear, Navi Pro with MP3, rear tint, sun roof, sport pak , sport seat , M shift knob...
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2005, 09:45 AM   #33
mutuaignorantia
Registered
Rep
Drives: alfa gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverseven
I didn't get an international license when I drove in Italy but then I rented the car.

what you do need to know about Italy is that it is all-out war on the roads. people *do not* stop at stop signs or red lights. some barely slow down. so keep your eyes *and ears* open. Italians drive with their horns -- if they think you're in the way, they'll sit on the horn to make you move rather than swerve.

Driving in Rome is a nightmare -- street names change for no apparent reason, so maps are useless. Traffic circles are everywhere and the locals speed right thu on two wheels, so if you're trying to read the street signs while you're driving, be prepared to curse a lot. And of course, Vespas always have the right of way.

The autostrade is fun to drive on -- but be careful if you stop for a pannini -- they sell wine by the glass right there at the rest stops and the Italians drink it with their lunch before they get back in their Fiats and floor it.

Have yo never thought that perhaps Italians unlike you do not need of prohibitions in order to maintain a behavior civil?
perhaps you get drunk if the government don't forbid alcool sale, in Italy not,we are used to use our brains... then as far as Rome and the comment on the stops I prefer not to comment
Appreciate 0