E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Prospective 335 owner, need help shopping

05-14-2009, 03:23 AM   #1
SportSter
Rep
Drives: 2005 Audi A4 stage 2+

Exclamation Prospective 335 owner, need help shopping

So, let me start off by saying I currently have an 05 Audi A4 stage 2+ quattro (it still doesnt have half the stats of a 335i) and I'm drifting towards the dark side... BMW land.

I'm about to start a new career and if this works out I should be able to afford a newer 335I, and I have a lot of questions for you guys.

I tried using the *search* tool on this site but its useless as the information I'm looking for brings up every other post on the site... So these are going to be noob questions, I'm sorry.

I have not decided yet if I want the coupe or sedan, Is there a significant performance difference between the two? I'm assuming its marginal from coupe/sedan reviews I have read from major publications?

second question is with the automatic transmission. I like a manual but living in the city now makes it a bit annoying at times. Is the BMW auto competent and does it shift as fast as a 6spd manual or faster? Part 2 of this question is I plan on doing some mods to the car, nothing too drastic but most of the easy bolt ons. Im thinking JB3, downpipes, intake, and maybe an intercooler. Will the auto handle it? (Audi autos tend to blow up when you add more then 100hp, this is why I ask). Can u launch the auto in this car and get comparable times with the stick? (VW for instance has launch control)

Next question goes back to the manual. Can the clutch take the power gains of the above mods for more then lets say 60/70k miles with a good driver who is aggressive but not stupid? *minimal launches, burnouts, power slides*

Lastly, is the navigation worth it? What options are worth the $$$$ and what ones are not worth a $1 ???

Thanks all, and sorry for the dumb post...

-SportSter

P.S. Audizine makes a sticky post that's a *first read* for newcomers that has all this kind of information in it, you guys should add it to your list of sticky's as you have some good ones for the motor and such, but not for general info on the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 08:20 AM   #2
hotrod182
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M50

I have both the sedan and the coupe. The performance is probably similar, but each has a different character. The coupe is a little louder, more aggressive sounding exhaust, a little tighter handling. But the sedan is more of a sleeper, attracts less attention, which is a great attribute in itself.

The automatic is probably more consistant for drag strip use, and keeps the turbo boost up between shifts, etc. It has a shorter final drive ratio also. These cars can be easy to burn up a clutch with all the torque if you don't launch them properly. The automatic shifting is very quick, and loses nothing in the area of fuel efficiency either.

Whether you add 50hp or 100hp, I haven't heard of any automatic transmission failures due to abuse yet.

The weakest part of the whole equation is probably the turbos. Only time and mileage will tell how long the turbos will run at higher boost levels. But eventually they will probably come out with some reasonable rebuilt solutions, but they are still a PITA to remove.
2008 Monaco Blue JB3 2.0 335i Coupe. 11.33 @ 132.77 mph, 60-130mph: 6.95 seconds
2023 i4 M50 11.48 @ 121.56mph, 3.43 0-60 (dragy)
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 08:29 AM   #3
kgb1637
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: RS5

Hotrod182 did a good job at addressing the coupe vs. sedan. I'm partial to the sedan as it is what I have. Some options that are worth it...SPORTS PACKAGE!!!! As most people on this site will reiterate the sports package even if its just for the seats, is well worth it. They just hold you in whereas the non-sport seats are flat, and you will slide in them. The iDrive is one of those tricky decisions. I like having the screen for bluetooth, music, navigation and to change options in the car a bit easier. The other options you will find people that swear they're a necessity and others that curse their existence. Whatever you choose you will not be disappointed at all.
      05-14-2009, 09:14 AM   #4
Curt2000
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '93 Supra Turbo

I was sort of in your same situation a couple years ago when I picked up my e90 auto. After driving stick all throughout college I was ready for an auto...it’s very convenient and fast shifting, the paddle shifters are fun but I rarely use them. I do find myself wishing I had a stick at times when I’m feeling sporty though. I bought the E90 because I thought I would always be taking extra people along in my car which has rarely happened...in hindsight I wish I would have went with the E92...so unless you have a little one on the way I would go with the coupe. Navigation is not worth it IMO..just get the Nav app for your cell phone.

So my recommendation to you is:
E92 Auto w/sport, Premium, cold weather packages.

Former Car: '16 SUNBURST GOLD F80 ///M3--6MT/Carbon Cloth (ED Thread)
Former Car:'13 SANTORINI BLUE E92///M3--6MT/Speed Cloth/ZCP(ED Thread)
INSTAGRAM:@C2KMotorsports
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 09:17 AM   #5
Zeph
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i 6MT SGM CR/BD

I got E92 (coupe) with 6MT (6 speed manual) and the sports package. I wouldn't change that for anything if I had to do it over again 50 times. The rest is just aesthetic... like upgraded leather (worth it, especially if you get a cool color combo) or navigation (holy expensive) etc.

Good luck

P.S. I had to special order mine because most of the lot ones are 4 door automatics in black, black, black, or silver... did I mention black?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 10:25 AM   #6
RynoDyno312
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 AW 335i Stepronic

The automatic transmission in these cars is very, very good. Fast and firm upshifts, throttle blipped downshifts, nad I'm pretty sure the converter is locked after 1st (maybe 2nd?) gear. There is slight lag between tapping the paddle and the shift itself, but it is VERY slight and still faster than most people could shift manually while still being relatively smooth.
      05-14-2009, 10:53 AM   #7
Panoz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Grey 335i ,Aero Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportSter View Post
So, let me start off by saying I currently have an 05 Audi A4 stage 2+ quattro (it still doesnt have half the stats of a 335i) and I'm drifting towards the dark side... BMW land.
I think that you are already into the Dark side. Switching to BMW will bring "light" and "happiness" in your life.

Procede V4 , Catless DPs, Forge FMIC, Injen Intake, VK Oilcooler, Hartge Quads Exhaust, Modded CDV, Synapse BOV Kit, BMW Performance 335i SSK Kit, P3 vent boost gauge

Space Grey 335i -> See more pics HERE
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 11:37 AM   #8
cbad335
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 335i

Garage List
The AT is very good in this car and shifts quickly. I shift my AT "manually" with the lever or paddles 95% of the time, though. But it's still an AT and will never have the interactive feel of an MT (something I miss sometimes). Sedan vs. coupe, well, that's up to you and your need for back seats, and what you think looks best. I have the sedan but think the coupe is one of the sexiest cars on the road. Just be aware that most US sedans, unless equipped with the Cold Weather Package, will not have fold down rear seats, which is a must imho (there are exceptions to this if special ordered). There are negligible performance differences between the two aside from the stock exhaust being louder in the coupe, and the sedan's chassis being slightly stiffer because of the B-pillars (allegedly). I didn't need Nav, so I didn't get it. Personally, I think the dash looks way cleaner without it. Finally, I haven't read about many clutch failures here on E90 Post, but HPFP,

| 6MT | ZSP | ZPP |
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 12:46 PM   #9
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

most of your questions have been answered it seems.

the auto seems to be a bit faster in a straight line, the manual a ton more fun. I had a manual e92 and LOVED it from day 1 until the day it died at the hands of a Viper.

I much prefer the looks and feel of the e92, but if you need to have useable back seats the e90 is for you. The e92 back seats are fine for the average adult, just not easy to get into.

sports package
cold weather

were the only to options my car had and thats how I wanted it, no I drive, no extra weight (mine last time at the track weighed 3504lbs w half tank and some equipment in the car, they are not light). I swapped out suspension to coilovers and did not regret that one bit.

your 1st mod should be a new set of tires, get rid of the RFT asap.....they suck.

goodluck w the new position and if you get the 335.....HAPPY MODDING! You will probably walk into the era of flashes if I had to guess, but so far none have really been that impressive to say the least.
      05-15-2009, 01:44 AM   #10
addicted2drums
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90

you live in sacramento, i would save the money on the cold weather package and get the premium with the m-sport or sport package. the m-sport has better suspension and brakes than the sport package from what I have read here. if you are going all out (sounds like you are) get a base model and do your own suspension, wheels and bbk.

by the way, fold down rear seat are $445, cold weather package $1,150. i dont think it is cold enough in cali to need the cold weather package, but then again i am cheap.
      05-15-2009, 02:30 AM   #11
BuLoOoSki
Colonel
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt2000 View Post
I was sort of in your same situation a couple years ago when I picked up my e90 auto. After driving stick all throughout college I was ready for an auto...it’s very convenient and fast shifting, the paddle shifters are fun but I rarely use them. I do find myself wishing I had a stick at times when I’m feeling sporty though. I bought the E90 because I thought I would always be taking extra people along in my car which has rarely happened...in hindsight I wish I would have went with the E92...so unless you have a little one on the way I would go with the coupe. Navigation is not worth it IMO..just get the Nav app for your cell phone.

So my recommendation to you is:
E92 Auto w/sport, Premium, cold weather packages.
dont really think hed need the cold weather package if he's in CA
2015 BMW F80 M3: Tractive EDC Suspension / Dinan Anti-Roll Bars / GC Camber Plates / KMP Dual Diff Mount / Girodisc Rotors / GT4 Brake Cooling Kit / PTF Flash Tune / Eisenmann Downpipes / CSF Heat Exchanger / BMS Charge Pipes
2007 BMW E92 335i (SOLD): BMS JB4 / Quaife LSD / Riss Racing DPs / Helix Intercooler / BMS Intake / STETT Charge Pipe / Forge DVs
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 02:38 AM   #12
SportSter
Rep
Drives: 2005 Audi A4 stage 2+

lol, I do go to Tahoe a lot so.... I think i might opt for the premium package w/heated seats.

I also think I want to get in a manual coupe (auto if price is right), I couldn't believe how much room they had in the back seats when I went to my dealership today. I adjusted the front to my comfort (6'4" 190lb), and then I was easily able to fit in the back seat behind it. A lot more room then my 4 door Audi for sure!

I was kinda shocked though at reliability. I was looking at an 07 sedan with 36k miles that had a lot of problems in the past: it had a replaced turbo, replaced fuel pump, replaced steering wheel and some buttons from wear and tear.

Is this typical of the 335 sedan or was this a lemon?

P.S. Dealer was asking 31k it was certified and had the sport and premium pkg.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 09:30 AM   #13
gqmd
Chemo Doc
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph View Post
I got E92 (coupe) with 6MT (6 speed manual) and the sports package. I wouldn't change that for anything if I had to do it over again 50 times. The rest is just aesthetic... like upgraded leather (worth it, especially if you get a cool color combo) or navigation (holy expensive) etc.

Good luck

P.S. I had to special order mine because most of the lot ones are 4 door automatics in black, black, black, or silver... did I mention black?
Black just RULES!!!
      05-15-2009, 09:31 AM   #14
gqmd
Chemo Doc
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted2drums View Post
you live in sacramento, i would save the money on the cold weather package and get the premium with the m-sport or sport package. the m-sport has better suspension and brakes than the sport package from what I have read here. if you are going all out (sounds like you are) get a base model and do your own suspension, wheels and bbk.

by the way, fold down rear seat are $445, cold weather package $1,150. i dont think it is cold enough in cali to need the cold weather package, but then again i am cheap.
with the coupe, the fold down seats are standard.
      05-15-2009, 09:39 AM   #15
Zeph
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i 6MT SGM CR/BD

get the sport package for the "thicker" steering wheel and the MUCH better seats. That is what it is good for. Don't think because you are doing your own suspension upgrades you don't want the sport package lol...
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 10:15 AM   #16
Septro
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 e90 335xi

If you're coming from quattro and are used to the feel of the AWD - the XI will be a good comparable system for you. The launches are hard and quick and you can pull 1.9/1.8s 60fts consistently on street tires.

The only caveat to the auto if that you are limited in launch RPMs to 2500-2600 whereas the manual you can dump in at whatever rpm as long as you have a strong stomach and clutch.

If you plan on racing lots with your car - some of the RWD guys have gone with a LSD modification to enhance the launch capability of the car since it does not come with one out of the factory.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 10:53 AM   #17
akack79
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 M3 ZCP

Coupe vs sedan:

If you frequently use your backseats get the sedan. If not, get the coupe.
If you prefer the styling of the coupe, get the coupe or you might regret it.

Navigation:

Just get it, that's the only option I regret not ordering it.
      05-15-2009, 11:04 AM   #18
scheherazade
Major
Rep
Drives: 09 GTR (& 93' accord!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akack79 View Post
Coupe vs sedan:

Navigation:

Just get it, that's the only option I regret not ordering it.
I don't regret not getting navi, because I'd rather have :
- Inverter
- UMPC
- GPS USB thumb drive
- Navigation software
- USB wireless internet adapter

It lets me have a tiny computer (7" screen) in thte car, with internet and navigation.... For less than what navi costs.

Now, the only reason I would get navi is because I've heard that you can mod it to show TV... which I think is awesome.

(But I can settle for HULU on the car computer with wireless internet :P)

-scheherazade
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2009, 11:10 PM   #19
AlbinoSnail
n00bie
United_States
Rep
Drives: three.thirty.five.i.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph View Post

Good luck

I felt your pain when I was shopping for my e92 at my local dealerships too!