E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > Long term parking at Newark Airport - Serviced lot or public long term lot?

02-17-2012, 11:23 AM   #1
ERdiesel
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xDrive

Long term parking at Newark Airport - Serviced lot or public long term lot?

I will be flying out to FL next month for a golf trip with some buddies and will be flying out from Newark Airport. I plan on putting my car there for the first time and plan on either the airport's long term parking lot (self parking, most likely limited security, and every idiot self parking has the potential of damaging my car and me not knowing about it until i return 4 days later) or in one of the valet parking lots at the airport. Now we all know to avoid valet parking at all costs, however given that this is Newark...........I am extremely worried about parking my car in the airport's general long term lot for several days, worried about theft of parts or outright vandalism, or some idiot damaging my car and driving off and then i'm screwed. With the serviced/valet lots, i assume higher level of security (at least that's what they advertise) and insurance for any damages to the vehicle, i.e. if there is any damage, i know who i can try and collect from!!! There are a couple of valet lots at Newark Airport that have raving reviews (literally 5 out of 5 stars from 230+ reviews) so they can't be all that bad. I'm just hesitant to hand my keys over, however given the alternative of the general airport lot where people can come and go.............this might be a situation where the valet parking lot is the way to go. What would you guys do?

Anyone have any experiences parking at the newark airport for several days? Which did you use, the general long term lot or a valet serviced lot? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 11:38 AM   #2
gds52
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe, BMW 328i E93 Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERdiesel View Post
I will be flying out to FL next month for a golf trip with some buddies and will be flying out from Newark Airport. I plan on putting my car there for the first time and plan on either the airport's long term parking lot (self parking, most likely limited security, and every idiot self parking has the potential of damaging my car and me not knowing about it until i return 4 days later) or in one of the valet parking lots at the airport. Now we all know to avoid valet parking at all costs, however given that this is Newark...........I am extremely worried about parking my car in the airport's general long term lot for several days, worried about theft of parts or outright vandalism, or some idiot damaging my car and driving off and then i'm screwed. With the serviced/valet lots, i assume higher level of security (at least that's what they advertise) and insurance for any damages to the vehicle, i.e. if there is any damage, i know who i can try and collect from!!! There are a couple of valet lots at Newark Airport that have raving reviews (literally 5 out of 5 stars from 230+ reviews) so they can't be all that bad. I'm just hesitant to hand my keys over, however given the alternative of the general airport lot where people can come and go.............this might be a situation where the valet parking lot is the way to go. What would you guys do?

Anyone have any experiences parking at the newark airport for several days? Which did you use, the general long term lot or a valet serviced lot? Thanks.
I never had a problem in private self parking lots around Philly airport, dont know bout Newark.
If you are so worried, I would say, take a cab.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 11:45 AM   #3
ERdiesel
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical View Post
It's the same price if not cheaper for a car service.

Not the same price at all. Where I live it will cost about $80 each way when you factor in tolls/tips for a total of about $160 or more versus $45 or so for the serviced parking. But it's not so much the price, it's the convenience of not having to wait on a car and one that has room for my clubs in a travel bag.............Just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with parking at the Newark Airport for several days or if i'm just being a bit paranoid.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 12:02 PM   #4
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
i rather pay 160 split the tab with friends instead of a repair on a car which wont cost you 160

any of friends live closer to the airport?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 12:13 PM   #5
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

I frequently fly out of both Newark and Phily airports and have not had any problems at all (but I am sure I just jinxed myself for next time). I use the long term lots even when I'm only gone overnight because I figure there's less people moving about than in short term or hourly.

I do what I do anywhere... park as far away from other cars as possible but without being the only sitting duck in the area... try for an end slot... don't park next to a hooptie or a mini van or SUV... and hope for the best. Good luck

(or take a car service if youre that worried, the $ may be worth the piece of mind)
      02-17-2012, 12:20 PM   #6
BobS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3

I've never had a issue with long term parking in Newark. The parking lots are hugggge and are rarely filled to capacity. If I were you, I would look for a end spot and park as far away from everyone else as possible. Its only 4 days, you'll be fine.

ESS 650 ACM-R Upgrades
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 12:21 PM   #7
hemi to e90
dat boost doe
Poland
Rep
Drives: 10 335i 21 740li

ive flown out of newark plenty of times, and ive never had issues parking my benz, bmw, or my audi in the long term lots.

some people are fanatical about where they park, but some of us are more realistic.
      02-17-2012, 02:22 PM   #8
hemi to e90
dat boost doe
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi to e90
ive flown out of newark plenty of times, and ive never had issues parking my benz, bmw, or my audi in the long term lots.

some people are fanatical about where they park, but some of us are more realistic.
I don't even think my skin tone is dark enough to drive through Newark let alone park.
Lol u realize I do plenty of work in newark?

It's more often amusing than scary
      02-17-2012, 02:31 PM   #9
hemi to e90
dat boost doe
Poland
Rep

I can't see it but he probably stole it.

Ever had a crackhead stop in the middle of the street take a shit, and wave at you with one had while he used the other to wipe?

I have

Then he tried to steal a $90 compressor. Ignoring the $400 nail gun
      02-17-2012, 02:44 PM   #10
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

Park it at my house, take a Town Car for $40 and buy me dinner instead
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 03:45 PM   #11
ERdiesel
Private First Class
Rep

Ahhhhh, the Newark stories, someone could write a book on it.

I remember reading on one of the bimmer forums about someone trying to get back home to NYC and wound up at a red light in a shady part of Newark at 2 am or some late hour, and afraid of being stopped in this area of Newark at such a late hour, he decided to run the red light. Well a cop saw him and pulls him over and asks why he ran the light and he tells the cop that he was in fear of his life being stopped in this part of Newark. Cop asks where he's going, and he tells the cop NYC and the cop instead of writing him a ticket tells him to follow him and leads the guy out of Newark. Pretty funny stuff.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 04:08 PM   #12
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

Ill even put it in the garage and maybe wash it for a Del Frisco's dinner
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 05:38 PM   #13
hemi to e90
dat boost doe
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERdiesel View Post
Ahhhhh, the Newark stories, someone could write a book on it.

I remember reading on one of the bimmer forums about someone trying to get back home to NYC and wound up at a red light in a shady part of Newark at 2 am or some late hour, and afraid of being stopped in this area of Newark at such a late hour, he decided to run the red light. Well a cop saw him and pulls him over and asks why he ran the light and he tells the cop that he was in fear of his life being stopped in this part of Newark. Cop asks where he's going, and he tells the cop NYC and the cop instead of writing him a ticket tells him to follow him and leads the guy out of Newark. Pretty funny stuff.
ahahaha,

i once had a cop pull over my truck, which was tinted to shit and, loud, and on 22s. came up to my window with his hand on his unclipped gun. when he walked up, and saw me his response was "oooo you are white?"

needless to say i was lost in the wrong time of truck and he let me follow him out onto the parkway lol
      02-17-2012, 05:40 PM   #14
AddictedToBavarian
My other ride is a Bianchi Infinito
Portugal
Rep
Drives: Miss my E92 but love my E46 M3

Dude just because Newark can be bad doesn't mean the airport is. The airport is outside of Newark anyway. I was raised in Newark, don't be scurrd man. I would pay the $160 for peace of mind though.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 06:25 PM   #15
Didac
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

My house 10 minutes from the airport ..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 08:32 PM   #16
MyE92
El Presidente
United_States
Rep
Drives: your mom wild.

I'm 5 mins from the airport... lol You can pay me to park in it at my house, and I'll drive you to the airport.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 10:47 PM   #17
AddictedToBavarian
My other ride is a Bianchi Infinito
Portugal
Rep
Drives: Miss my E92 but love my E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyE92 View Post
I'm 5 mins from the airport... lol You can pay me to park in it at my house, and I'll drive you to the airport.
Lol yea good idea. I'm 10 minutes away too. What do you say? $30/day.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 08:11 AM   #18
Snkypete
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
2000 Mustang GT  [0.00]
2008 BMW X5  [0.00]
Short of parking it at someone's house, I've used the Parking Spot a few times successfully and without incident. Reasonable, and the shuttles are every 5 minutes.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 08:51 AM   #19
JV973
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C HS DCT/MPE

i work at newark airport never heard problems with those long term parking lots or what ever else
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 12:50 AM   #20
mkv john
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08' 335xi

i vote cab!

I left my last car in a lot at newark airport for 2 weeks while i went to west palm beach...

Came back to a crack in my tail light, and a front bumper that was, well, not such a front bumper. Called it in to newark airport, left my name and phone number like 4-5 times, never heard back again.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 07:49 AM   #21
zz328xi
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi
Location: Smack in the middle of the hudson valley and catskills. (Albany/Kingston area)

Long term parking is good. I travel a lot with work and have never had any issues. Feels a little shady at night but it's not bad. The only thing that's a pain in the ass if finding the correct bus to your long term parking lot.
      02-19-2012, 07:50 AM   #22
zz328xi
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi
Location: Smack in the middle of the hudson valley and catskills. (Albany/Kingston area)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz328xi View Post
Long term parking is good. I travel a lot with work and have never had any issues. Feels a little shady at night but it's not bad. The only thing that's a pain in the ass if finding the correct bus to your long term parking lot.
and if you have problems like the post above, isn't that what insurance is for? Most parking lots, if you read the fine print are not responsible for any damages occured on their sites. So if it looks like a safer placer, it's a mirage