E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Help:How to install dashboard ///M rings

11-06-2014, 05:35 PM   #1
N54 TuNeR
///Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 '08 335i Sedan

Help:How to install dashboard ///M rings

I tried searching but found nothing.looking to install M Dashboard Rings.i have heard its a pain but looking for how to remove the lens. Does it just pop off?does the lens just pop back on?pics DIY would be nice.
: JB4/MHD, ACF ST, Precision T/S 6062, AD-Eng Mounts, PrecisionRaceworks STG_3+LPFP,//HPF Exhaust Titanium Tips, Custom HighLow OCC, Precision RaceWorks Coils,RACE InterCooler, Custom Meth Kit, v8Bait(Justin)Tuning
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 07:00 PM   #2
ATTN
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335 E92 DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
I recently did this and cracked one in the process, so I had to order another pair as they don't sell singles.

If you're referring to the M3 rings into the cluster.

You have to obviously remove the old rings

My tip would be align the rings so they're placed correctly, as how they would sit inside the clusters.

Gently squeeze the either ends in so they can squeeze into the large hole, but at the same time pushing the top part first into the cluster.

Kinda squeeze and push at the same time.

They should just pop in, then you just clip them into place.

My only tip would be: Be gentle but enough squeeze and push the top part first to get them in. If you squeeze to much the rings can snap into two. You just have to find the sweet spot, bit of pressure and push them in.

Hope that helps

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 08:07 PM   #3
N54 TuNeR
///Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 '08 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATTN View Post
I recently did this and cracked one in the process, so I had to order another pair as they don't sell singles.

My tip would be align the rings so they're placed correctly, as how they would sit inside the clusters.

Gently squeeze the either ends in so they can squeeze into the large hole, but at the same time pushing the top part first into the cluster.

My only tip would be: Be gentle but enough squeeze and push the top part first to get them in. If you squeeze to much the rings can snap into two. You just have to find the sweet spot, bit of pressure and push them in.

Hope that helps

Good luck
So you actually were able to get the old one out & new ones in by squeezing the rings to oval shape?I then may try it.Wonder if they sell the whole front part with the Rings from bmw.that would be the easiest since all you would have to do is just screw in the whole front onto the cluster.I cant imagine it being too expensive since used M cluster go about 300ish.
: JB4/MHD, ACF ST, Precision T/S 6062, AD-Eng Mounts, PrecisionRaceworks STG_3+LPFP,//HPF Exhaust Titanium Tips, Custom HighLow OCC, Precision RaceWorks Coils,RACE InterCooler, Custom Meth Kit, v8Bait(Justin)Tuning
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 08:12 PM   #4
ATTN
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335 E92 DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by N54 TuNeR View Post
So you actually were able to get the old one out & new ones in by squeezing the rings to oval shape?I then may try it.Wonder if they sell the whole front part with the Rings from bmw.that would be the easiest since all you would have to do is just screw in the whole front onto the cluster.I cant imagine it being too expensive since used M cluster go about 300ish.
Yes, I was able to get the old rings out. But I must say it was a little tricky, top part was easy by unclipping. You will have to pry and cut the bottom rings and just fiddle around until you manage to take them off. That's how I managed to get my old rings off.

Yes, pretty much squeeze into an oval shape but push them into place at the same time. Use the hole to help hold the squeeze while pushing them in.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2014, 02:21 PM   #5
_ink
Jedi samurai ninja turtle
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i 2018

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by N54 TuNeR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATTN View Post

Hope that helps

Good luck
Stock rings need to be cut to be removed.

Then the m3 style rings needs to be squeezed/flexed quite abit to fit in. It's scary at first, but that's what you need to do.

I believe there's a Bimmian video on how to do it.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 03:44 AM   #6
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Quote:
I believe there's a Bimmian video on how to do it.
Yes there is - and the video doesn't even begin to let you know how much this install SUCKS

Did this in my original cluster - since swapped out for a ///M cluster. You do have to cut the old rings into pieces to get them out (which is easier said than done) - even then it's really tight between the rings & lens at bottom of rings - VERY hard to remove without marring the clear lens.

Getting the new ones in is easier, looks better than the original rings, but no where near as nice as the real thing when you swap out to a real ///M cluster

But of course that's another ballpark regarding price...
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0