E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > -=[How to Download via Usenet]=- BMW RoadMap NA Pro 2010

04-27-2010, 12:11 AM   #1
XiaoDeeDeee
Banned
Rep
Drives: e95 399is

-=[How to Download via Usenet]=- BMW RoadMap NA Pro 2010

I've gotten a few PMs regarding my post in the 2010 Navigation Torrent thread. Sorry for ignoring those PMs, I figured I'd just make a guide here.

Torrent is a very convenient P2P method of file distribution; Usenet has several advantages however.

so Why Usenet?

Stability
Usenet has up to 600+ days of retention. This means that once a file has been uploaded to Usenet, you have a 600 day period to download the file thus eliminating a common worry of having no seeders when using torrent.

Speed
Whether your ISP provides you with 10mbit/50mbit speeds, it is virtually guaranteed that you will be able to download the maximum of your ISP alloted bandwidth. Most Usenet providers allow upwards of 20 to even 50 simultaneous downstream/upstream connections to ensure you get your maximum speed.

Secure Transfers
Transfer files with anonymity. Most Usenet providers allow SSL encrypted transfers. Unlike P2P applications, torrent, for example, packets that are been transferred can be tracked. Thus, should a concerned party desire, both your IP as well as the files you are transferring via P2P can be identified since the transfer is not secure.

Then, why doesn't everyone use Usenet? Well, P2P is free. Usenet requires that you have 1) a program and 2) a usenet provider. Unfortunately both require paid subscriptions.

However, there is good news. You can download the BMW Roadmap by using the trial subscriptions. Newsleecher is 30 days risk free. Giganews is 14 days risk free but requires a credit card.

1) Download NewsLeecher trial

2) Sign up for Giganews 10gb Trial Make sure to read the terms of the trial so you don't get charged.

3a) Click HERE. Checkmark ALL three and click "create NZB"
(checkmark only the middle one if you just want Disc1...the third one is Disc2...the first one is the image scan)...

OR

3b) Go HERE and click "Download NZB"
(big green button top center)

4) Launch Newsleecher; Setup Giganews as a new provider in Newsleecher
(you should have received your confirmation email with your username and password from Giganews by now)
(if you are ur-a-peein use news-europe.giganews.com instead)

5) Check your download path in Newsleecher Options.

6) Check all boxes for Repair & Extract to auto repair and extract the files.

7) Double click the NZB file you've downloaded whether through Binsearch or NZBMatrix (it's the same thing).

8) Click "Connect" in Newsleecher.

9) Once download is done, uninstall Newsleecher.
(Newsleecher will auto extract all files to destination folder set in 5) when the download completes)

10) Cancel GigaNews subscription to avoid charges.
You have downloaded ~8GB, well within the 10GB limit so no worries there! Works out great if you have some other stuff you want to download that's less than 2GB go for it...check 11...

11) If you find that you like the speed and stability of Usenet but Giganews prices are outrageous...
I use Astraweb...$8 a month but $11 is not bad either. As for Newsleecher...I've heard of NewsLeecher.v3.9.Incl.Keymaker-CORE...maybe you can use the trial to find that release on BinSearch and snag it too...

Last edited by XiaoDeeDeee; 04-27-2010 at 12:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 02:50 PM   #2
bobbylechat
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: G01 30d M sport phytonic 726

thank you very much for this guide.
would you be kind to tell me if the europe version is available too ?
thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2010, 05:13 AM   #3
bobbylechat
Private First Class
France
Rep

Sorry for the late answer.
thank you very much for this ! really nice from you
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2010, 05:15 AM   #4
bobbylechat
Private First Class
France
Rep

oh, these are the 2009 DVD. I already got them.
but thank you very much for taking the time to search.
Appreciate 0