E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > OEM HU SQ

09-08-2010, 11:41 PM   #23
drummer12
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i

Oh, and thanks for the $0.02. That goes for all of you!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 11:45 PM   #24
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

I don't think you'll get too far with $500.

We would usually use a Technic harness, a 4-channel or 6-channel balanced-input amp with active high and low pass crossover filters, new 8", and new 4" and tweeters. That's gonna run you twice that with wiring and all.

Personally, I'd jettison the rears, get that JL XD600/6, a Technic harness, one of our 10" sedan fiberglass enclosures, new underseats and new front mids and tweeters. That would run around $1400.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 11:52 PM   #25
drummer12
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i

Ok, looked around but can't seem to find what exactly the Technic harness does...does it convert the HU output to RCA? Or RCA to speakers? Also, where do I find one?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 03:12 AM   #26
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer12 View Post
Ok, looked around but can't seem to find what exactly the Technic harness does...does it convert the HU output to RCA? Or RCA to speakers? Also, where do I find one?
In a nutshell, its a harness that allows plug and play connectivity between an aftermarket amp and the factory wiring in the trunk. I'm not sure of the specifics of what the actual conversion is since he has several different versions of the harness. I know the one for top hi-fi and logic 7 systems has a built it LOC so yes it does convert the speaker level signal out of the OEM amp to a line level signal that can be accepted by an aftermarket amp. You won't need the LOC for the hi-fi system so I'm guessing his hi-fi version does not include it. I'm just not sure if the HU signal is directly tapped in his hi-fi harness or converted to something else. If it is directly tapped, you'll need an amplifier than can accommodate a balanced differential input. Probably better to ask the man himself if you want to get the story straight.
      09-09-2010, 05:39 AM   #27
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer12 View Post
The HiFi harness (available late next week) helps remove the OEM amp completely and make any other balanced inputs 6-channel amp to be plugged into the inputs and outputs of your OEM HU/iDrive without the need of cutting any OEM wires.

The OEM HU/iDrive outputs are converted into RCA (front/rear), the speaker inputs wires (6-channels) are labeled for identification, and the OEM remote turn on signal is available thru a built-in relay so it can handle multiple loads if necessary without overloading the OEM HU/iDrive internal circuit.

I did an E93 M3 install here, and you can see one prototype harness in the first photo being used with a JL Audio HD900/5 (Marine version) to power a Morel (front/rear) and SWS-8 (woofer) system without cutting/tappling or splicing a single OEM wire (including a PnP cable to power the HD900/5 at the battery distribution block): http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=405224
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 07:35 PM   #28
jjmanda
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 328ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedclampet View Post
So I installed a Mcintosh 406 renowned for its DAC and gave up the steering wheel controls altogether and can live with it. I'll try to get some pic's soon.
I still want to see pics of how that Mac looks installed.
Appreciate 0