E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Anyone in SoCal W/ Catless DP?

09-21-2012, 05:38 PM   #23
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Prius

its not bad at all. if you prefer quite, slow cars than dont get it only person to complain about the smell was my ex girlfriend but she was a crazy bitch. it doesnt bother anyone even my parents. if you need to here mine hit me up. i live in the marina del rey/venice area now
      09-21-2012, 06:06 PM   #24
SRT14PimPin07
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPWINCH View Post
its not bad at all. if you prefer quite, slow cars than dont get it only person to complain about the smell was my ex girlfriend but she was a crazy bitch. it doesnt bother anyone even my parents. if you need to here mine hit me up. i live in the marina del rey/venice area now
Well my car has never been quiet, I had a muffler delete, but I put it back on today because I know it's gonna be nasty loud with the DP. And I got an appointment at LTMW on Tuesday morning to get the DP installed! So I guess I'll find out how bad the smell is on my own. Thanks though!
      09-21-2012, 06:22 PM   #25
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Prius

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT14PimPin07 View Post
Well my car has never been quiet, I had a muffler delete, but I put it back on today because I know it's gonna be nasty loud with the DP. And I got an appointment at LTMW on Tuesday morning to get the DP installed! So I guess I'll find out how bad the smell is on my own. Thanks though!
no worries man. good luck! your gonna love it
      10-02-2012, 01:10 PM   #26
melloww22
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E90

How did the install go? How about the smell?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 01:40 PM   #27
PR3CI5N
need4speed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M 335i

It's funny how everyone is commenting about their N55's catless DP when the OP drives a N54. 2 completely different style of DP's.

I live in Brea but my parents live in Fallbrook so I'm down periodically. I have BMS N54 catless down pipes. I'm not sure why members are saying catless DP's smell because I honestly haven't noticed one difference in smell, just power. Unless people removed their secondary cats and E90 resonators then I don't see what the big deal is about smell. DP's are 100% worth the money and hassle of installing /uninstalling. Crucial mod if you want more top end power.
      10-02-2012, 04:09 PM   #28
klov335
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e90 lci n55 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR3CI5N
It's funny how everyone is commenting about their N55's catless DP when the OP drives a N54. 2 completely different style of DP's.

I live in Brea but my parents live in Fallbrook so I'm down periodically. I have BMS N54 catless down pipes. I'm not sure why members are saying catless DP's smell because I honestly haven't noticed one difference in smell, just power. Unless people removed their secondary cats and E90 resonators then I don't see what the big deal is about smell. DP's are 100% worth the money and hassle of installing /uninstalling. Crucial mod if you want more top end power.
Seriously theres no smell u should not even bother about the smell.. Just smells like a car a gas car..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 06:44 PM   #29
SRT14PimPin07
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by melloww22 View Post
How did the install go? How about the smell?
Install went great. I put my stock muffler back on, so it's much quieter, and a little on the raspy side, but not enough for me to say it's raspy. It's got a nice tone to it.

When you do a cold start, it's kinda annoying loud and you can defiantly smell it. But it's nothing major. Just like CJ421 said it smells like a lawnmower maybe even less. It's also raspy when driving when the engine is cold, but once you warm up the engine it sounds much nicer/cleaner/smoother.

Also I never smell it when driving with the windows down, unless I stick my head out the window while the car is stopped and there is wind blowing from the back of the car. Or when I come to a quick stop after I step on it.

One thing though, I was a little disappointed on the power aspect....everyone on here kept saying it's a night and day difference, bla bla bla, saying it provides the most gains.....I can't say there are no gains. But it's nothing I can brag about.

All in all, at the end of the day. I don't regret going catless, I am happy with my decision. I think soon I will put some NOS onctane booster with MMT, hopefully that will put a on my face.
      10-13-2012, 12:07 AM   #30
dvpouldar26
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 328i, Porsche 987.1

I think the smell is subjective. I personally like the smell while others hate it and find it to take the class away from the car. If you don't want to put up with the smell, the go with hfc's......less gains, but nowhere near the smell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etman View Post
I have a single 3.5' Dp that tapers down to a single 3' midpipe... basically a full straight pipe. Besides the sound ( which is a completely different thread) It reeks catless. when I say "reeks" I mean really strong smell. But the power gains are far more than worth it
If i'm not mistaken I saw your e92 driving down sunset and hilgard today (Was that you?; I was in the silver cayman). If that was you, it's definitely loud setup, but a dp and muffler delete isn't my cup of tea in terms of sound. Driving around you, I wouldn't say the smell was bad at all......many other platforms that are catless are much worse than these cars in terms of smell.
Jet Black / Gloss Black Grilles / 8000k D1S low beam / 6000k HID fogs / GP Thunder 8500k angels & cornering bulbs / black reflectors / gloss black vinyled window trim / tints / smoked rear turn signals / black roundels / AC Schnitzer roof spoiler / VRS style decklid spoiler / Matte black Stripes / Rear fogs / matte mirrors / 19" LM reps / APR lip
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 09:14 AM   #31
Everfly
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT14PimPin07 View Post
Install went great. I put my stock muffler back on, so it's much quieter, and a little on the raspy side, but not enough for me to say it's raspy. It's got a nice tone to it.

When you do a cold start, it's kinda annoying loud and you can defiantly smell it. But it's nothing major. Just like CJ421 said it smells like a lawnmower maybe even less. It's also raspy when driving when the engine is cold, but once you warm up the engine it sounds much nicer/cleaner/smoother.

Also I never smell it when driving with the windows down, unless I stick my head out the window while the car is stopped and there is wind blowing from the back of the car. Or when I come to a quick stop after I step on it.

One thing though, I was a little disappointed on the power aspect....everyone on here kept saying it's a night and day difference, bla bla bla, saying it provides the most gains.....I can't say there are no gains. But it's nothing I can brag about.

All in all, at the end of the day. I don't regret going catless, I am happy with my decision. I think soon I will put some NOS onctane booster with MMT, hopefully that will put a on my face.
Run E98 mixed then you will see the different i was peak at 22psi and hold steady at 19psi
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 09:16 AM   #32
Everfly
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR3CI5N View Post

He has 2011 335i so is it still N54?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 12:11 PM   #33
PR3CI5N
need4speed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M 335i

Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everfly View Post
He has 2011 335i so is it still N54?
      10-15-2012, 10:51 AM   #34
melloww22
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E90

[QUOTE=Everfly]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PR3CI5N View Post

N55 has both CATs on the down pipe... By going with a Catless DP you in fact are running Catless
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 06:57 PM   #35
BMW_Belgier
Lieutenant Colonel
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi n55

[QUOTE=melloww22;12839215]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everfly

N55 has both CATs on the down pipe... By going with a Catless DP you in fact are running Catless
Except Xdrive... They have secundary cats...
      11-08-2012, 10:17 AM   #36
One3five
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i 6MT

Drive to cerritos and i'll show you what it smells like. Its not that bad and thats coming from someone who gets headaches by the smell. I mainly smell it on cold starts and if you're surrounded by a barrier of something such as walls, cars in traffic, etc. If you start to smell it then just roll up your window.

As far as performance goes, it really helps with spooling up the turbo.
Appreciate 0