E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Winter Washing

01-07-2013, 12:20 PM   #45
323Guy
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: '06 323i

Quote:
Originally Posted by baege View Post
cheers, do you know if the nozzles actually spray from underneath the car or simply from the side angled downwards?
I went back yesterday and noticed that the "uncarriage spray" is really from the sides angled UPWARDS...still strong and just need to drive slow as you pass them.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 12:51 PM   #46
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 323Guy View Post
I went back yesterday and noticed that the "uncarriage spray" is really from the sides angled UPWARDS...still strong and just need to drive slow as you pass them.
cheers on the info, makes me wonder if I can do almost as good a job by lying on my side at the coin up (dirty job though)
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 01:39 PM   #47
Andy M
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 BMW 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by baege View Post
cheers on the info, makes me wonder if I can do almost as good a job by lying on my side at the coin up (dirty job though)
You don't lie on your side, you crouch down and then move the nozzle slowly across. With some practice, I'm able to do it without even touching the ground now (sort of like shooting underneath cover with a rifle?) Shooting it at an angle works better to get rid of salt grime because if you shoot at it directly, all it does is drive the grime into the paint as opposed to off the paint. Also, one reason why I wash after I drive all the time is that I spray it off while it's still wet (which makes it easier than when it dries onto the paint - sort of like washing a dish when the sauce on it is still fresh than when it's been sitting in the sink and the sauce dries to the dish).
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 02:30 PM   #48
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M View Post
You don't lie on your side, you crouch down and then move the nozzle slowly across. With some practice, I'm able to do it without even touching the ground now (sort of like shooting underneath cover with a rifle?) Shooting it at an angle works better to get rid of salt grime because if you shoot at it directly, all it does is drive the grime into the paint as opposed to off the paint. Also, one reason why I wash after I drive all the time is that I spray it off while it's still wet (which makes it easier than when it dries onto the paint - sort of like washing a dish when the sauce on it is still fresh than when it's been sitting in the sink and the sauce dries to the dish).
Cheers on the tip, I think the slow movement and proper angle is key, maybe by the end of this winter I'll have it mastered.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 05:11 PM   #49
SuperBmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i

What are you guys washing underneath the car?
Most of it is covered and the only thing showing is the exhaust.

The only reason I could see for using the undercarriage spray would be to get to the rear suspension components, but I'm not sure if there's much of a point in that and the automatic undercarriage sprayers usually only spray the center of the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 11:55 PM   #50
Andy M
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 BMW 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBmw View Post
What are you guys washing underneath the car?
Most of it is covered and the only thing showing is the exhaust.

The only reason I could see for using the undercarriage spray would be to get to the rear suspension components, but I'm not sure if there's much of a point in that and the automatic undercarriage sprayers usually only spray the center of the car.
That's right, I'm spending most of the time spraying the rear suspension area. I do spray the underside but that's mostly hoping that the water gets into the areas that have slight gaps.

To be honest, the majority of what I spend my time washing is at the bottom of the doors. I find cars tend to rust there first and my friend who had an M3 said his old M3 started to rust there too.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 04:44 PM   #51
marcvtec
Banned
Rep
Drives: M5

Just tried petro glide
Nice gives you the option of soft cloth or touch less meanwhile being trackless
Good job to the maker
Appreciate 0