E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Debating H&R Sports

10-24-2007, 01:58 PM   #1
EOE90
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
2006 3  [0.00]
Debating H&R Sports

i have a 325i with 19 inch breyton spirits, my ride is pretty smooth with a little noticible bumps after getting the rims. I have a year and a half left on my lease, do you think getting h and r sports would make such a difference in the ride of my car? Can anyone with 19s vouch for the difference in ride and if you've gone through tires more quickly?
      10-24-2007, 02:52 PM   #2
e92man
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: modded e92 335i coupe

Garage List
get them unless u have really bad rodes. r u on stock suspension? my ride quality hasnt gotten better but it is a lot more stiff and i like that
e92 335i jet black, coral red, aluminum, sport, step, paddles, heated seats, pdc, bmw aluminum pedals, oem aero kit front lip, 19' miro type 366 hamann race edition reps, H&R sport springs, 15% tints, vorsteiner rear deck spoiler, custom front pdc

"The only cars that should be yellow are taxi cabs and school busses."
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 02:55 PM   #3
3onDubs
You live by the sword...
Rep
Drives: M4

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
If you get springs only, you will notice a big difference. Your stock shocks weren't built for lower springs, which is what the h&r's are.

I just ordered the H&R's myself, but along with the koni yellow shocks (to smoothen out the ride a little and improve handling). The ride will be stiffer (i.e. you will feel the bumps more), but that's the whole point of a stiffer suspension.

With springs alone, you might actually notice a decrease in handling imo....
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 10:00 PM   #4
e92man
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: modded e92 335i coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3onDubs View Post
If you get springs only, you will notice a big difference. Your stock shocks weren't built for lower springs, which is what the h&r's are.

I just ordered the H&R's myself, but along with the koni yellow shocks (to smoothen out the ride a little and improve handling). The ride will be stiffer (i.e. you will feel the bumps more), but that's the whole point of a stiffer suspension.

With springs alone, you might actually notice a decrease in handling imo....
no he wont. i feel an increase in handling. it all depends on if u are on zsp shocks............
e92 335i jet black, coral red, aluminum, sport, step, paddles, heated seats, pdc, bmw aluminum pedals, oem aero kit front lip, 19' miro type 366 hamann race edition reps, H&R sport springs, 15% tints, vorsteiner rear deck spoiler, custom front pdc

"The only cars that should be yellow are taxi cabs and school busses."
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 10:09 PM   #5
Rips335iCoupe
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Don't get H&R with stock struts/shocks. If you are not going to replace them when you get the springs, then put the Eibach pro kit on. They will work better with stock struts/shocks
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 10:20 PM   #6
EOE90
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
2006 3  [0.00]
how much do zsp shocks cost these days? whats the drop difference between h and r and eibach?
      10-24-2007, 10:21 PM   #7
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

We recommend getting a shocks/springs combo as well- it will save you on install cost. We carry all sorts of springs and shocks so let us know if we can help.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 10:41 PM   #8
Mark Chen
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 11' E93 M3 LMB

Garage List
2011 BMW E93 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny@JleviSW View Post
We recommend getting a shocks/springs combo as well- it will save you on install cost. We carry all sorts of springs and shocks so let us know if we can help.
do you carry KONI SPORT SHOCK for E90 330?

11' LMB E93
///M3

KW V3 / 19" BBS LM DB-SLD 20th limited edition / AP Racing Pro 5000+ BBK / Akrapovic Evolution Line Exhaust / Arkym Rear Diffuser
/Dinan Stage 2 Engine Transmission software
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 11:14 PM   #9
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Chen View Post
do you carry KONI SPORT SHOCK for E90 330?
Yup- it's just not listed on our site. Please PM us for pricing.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 12:06 AM   #10
3onDubs
You live by the sword...
Rep

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e92man View Post
no he wont. i feel an increase in handling. it all depends on if u are on zsp shocks............
What you feel is the road more, not necessarily an increase in handling. Unmatched springs/shocks will give poor ride quality and decreased handling. Stock shocks (as well as sport suspension shocks) are only matched with the springs they come with.....definitely not for the H&R sports. It will only be a matter of time before the shocks blow on you....with the zsp shocks, you may last a little longer, but they will blow.

The reason for the crappier ride quality is that the rebound rate of the shocks do not match the lower springs. The sport shocks are overly compressed as is, so putting them on lower springs is not necessarily the best idea....
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 12:15 AM   #11
Ron@Modbargains
United_States
Rep
Drives: 996TT/ae86

Quote:
What you feel is the road more, not necessarily an increase in handling. Unmatched springs/shocks will give poor ride quality and decreased handling. Stock shocks (as well as sport suspension shocks) are only matched with the springs they come with.....definitely not for the H&R sports. It will only be a matter of time before the shocks blow on you....with the zsp shocks, you may last a little longer, but they will blow.

The reason for the crappier ride quality is that the rebound rate of the shocks do not match the lower springs. The sport shocks are overly compressed as is, so putting them on lower springs is not necessarily the best idea....
Well said. I do think the most of the guys out there who have their cars on lease - really doesnt care if they get just lowering springs, cause they'll probably finish their lease in 2 years and turn it in with a blown shock(let the dealer worry about it). Or there are those who just need to lower for now, save some money and later go with a proper coilover or spring shock combo.

Whats more interesting is how the majority of people never really notice that their shock is blown because they get used to the ride after awhile and think its normal.

For the Koni shocks we have them in-stock available here and shipping. Let me know if you have any questions.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 08:33 AM   #12
Mark Chen
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 11' E93 M3 LMB

Garage List
2011 BMW E93 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny@JleviSW View Post
Yup- it's just not listed on our site. Please PM us for pricing.
PM sent

11' LMB E93
///M3

KW V3 / 19" BBS LM DB-SLD 20th limited edition / AP Racing Pro 5000+ BBK / Akrapovic Evolution Line Exhaust / Arkym Rear Diffuser
/Dinan Stage 2 Engine Transmission software
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 09:16 AM   #13
3onDubs
You live by the sword...
Rep

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron************ View Post
Well said. I do think the most of the guys out there who have their cars on lease - really doesnt care if they get just lowering springs, cause they'll probably finish their lease in 2 years and turn it in with a blown shock(let the dealer worry about it). Or there are those who just need to lower for now, save some money and later go with a proper coilover or spring shock combo.

Whats more interesting is how the majority of people never really notice that their shock is blown because they get used to the ride after awhile and think its normal.

For the Koni shocks we have them in-stock available here and shipping. Let me know if you have any questions.
Very true....I just picked up some springs/shocks from you, but my car is on a lease as well. I figured that I'll be driving it for three years, so getting the springs/shocks at the beginning of my lease would be the best bet. After that, I could always sell them used for a small profit.

There's definitely nothing "cool" about a car that looks nice, but bounces around like a civic on cut springs. I wouldn't be able to do that for a month. let alone a year, let alone 3.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 12:50 PM   #14
Chowbow
pew pew
Rep
Drives: 三三五i

Garage List
Quote:
There's definitely nothing "cool" about a car that looks nice, but bounces around like a civic on cut springs. I wouldn't be able to do that for a month. let alone a year, let alone 3.
That's what I think too but it's crazy how many posts I see here about lowering springs and stock shocks. Maybe I'm just the shock nazi?
      10-25-2007, 12:51 PM   #15
3onDubs
You live by the sword...
Rep

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowbow View Post
That's what I think too but it's crazy how many posts I see here about lowering springs and stock shocks. Maybe I'm just the shock nazi?

I think a person needs to ride in both cars right after each other to see the difference....one with just springs, and one with springs/shocks....the difference will be like night/day.
Appreciate 0