E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Motive Mod M Shifter Retrofit Review

03-16-2012, 10:59 PM   #1
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

Motive Mod M Shifter Retrofit Review

I posted this on 1addicts but I figure some of you maybe interested and may not browse the 1addicts forum

Yes I know I know yet another mod to my list

So I have been communicating with Roger @ Motive mod in retrofitting the M Shifter to my car. After being in my workmates E60 M5 that shifter just feels so much better then the OEM Steptronic shifter, is shorter and feels better when shifting.

There are several options that you can get from Roger, DCT or the M Shifter. I opted for the M Shifter as I know it is short (Kinda like a SSK for AT ) and it is reversible as it is a direct swap. The DCT requires the cutting/trimming of the gear stalk for it to fit and look good otherwise it will be position higher then normal.

You also have the option of several boot plate, you get to choose from your standard AT, AT plate without the shift indicator or a manual boot. I opted for the manual boot as the M Shifter has all the gear indicator on the gear itself and plus it gives it that cleaner look. At the same I went and got the performance boot as I always wanted to swap my all of interior (slowly) to alcantra. Though Roger did say he couldn't get a hold of the black manual leather.

I ordered it from last week and fast forward to yesterday it arrives! (ridiculous shipping time it was awesomely fast). The retrofit kit was so straight forward and easy it only took me 5 min to install. Literally all you need to do is remove your AT knob and remove the plate. Once that is done you just need to attach the 2 cables that goes to your old plate to the retrofitted board that Roger has made for the shifter. This retrofitted board is important as it allows the shifter to go sleep and not drain any power when the car is not on.

Initial impression it makes the car looks so much cleaner and the gear feels so much better in your hand. Shifting with the gearstick feels better and faster (not sure if its placebo or because the stick is shorter ).

Highly recommended mod and Roger is a great guy with awesome service and respond time (is like he never sleeps!).

Anyway here are some quick pictures that I took this morning on my way to the gym.

ps. that crease on my interior trim around the gear boot is from the AT boot plate as it is slightly bigger then the manual one
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 11:40 PM   #2
luster
Major
Rep
Drives: e90, e88

you can shift straight to park when in drive wihtout a safety button though right?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 11:48 PM   #3
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

While you are driving? Supposedly there is a fail safe of some sort but I am not game enough to try that theory
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2012, 04:20 AM   #4
luster
Major
Rep
Drives: e90, e88

I really like the mod, it looks great.

I'm just worried someone would bump it and put it in reverse or park while driving....scary!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2012, 04:41 AM   #5
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by luster
I really like the mod, it looks great.

I'm just worried someone would bump it and put it in reverse or park while driving....scary!
Well a few of the guys on the main thread have tested it and reverse doesn't engage when u you push it to r.

I'll take their word for it as I am not game enough, plus I'm always on manual mode so is a bit harder for someone to bump my stick anyway
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2012, 06:22 AM   #6
sbce90
Me Boosta
Australia
Rep
Drives: 320i / MB C63 / VW up!

I gotta be honest.. Not really feeling it myself. Looks a bit out of place to me.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2012, 07:01 AM   #7
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBC View Post
I gotta be honest.. Not really feeling it myself. Looks a bit out of place to me.
haha that is fair enough!

Good thing we all have different taste otherwise we will all have the same looking cars!

ps. here are the other two pictures I posted on 1addicts
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2012, 07:27 AM   #8
BMWGTR
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

I reckon that looks awesome man.
I would love to do something like that (either M or DCT style) on the e93.
Appreciate 0