E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Yet ANOTHER persistent cylinder 5 misfire N54

10-17-2013, 07:55 PM   #45
BMWM.D.
Stupid Idiot
Rep
Drives: E90 335i & 6th Gen ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM3M5 View Post
Nope, customer traded the car back into the dealer for something different long ago. He didn't want to deal with it anymore. Can't blame him, but I do think that we would have fixed it had he let us go at it.
I had a VERY similar situation with a car a while back. After doing just about all the things you did, I never completely got rid of the shudder/light misfire on #5. It was only at WOT at lower rpm, and more prominent in the higher gears (6MT). It would rarely set any misfire codes, either.

I'm suspecting it was a carbon issue as well, but never got the green light to take a look at the valves.
      10-18-2013, 08:20 AM   #46
Aerotest
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post
I had a VERY similar situation with a car a while back. After doing just about all the things you did, I never completely got rid of the shudder/light misfire on #5. It was only at WOT at lower rpm, and more prominent in the higher gears (6MT). It would rarely set any misfire codes, either.

I'm suspecting it was a carbon issue as well, but never got the green light to take a look at the valves.
I had the same shudder at low rpm, high load with the stage 1 OFT tune. Walnut blasted valves at 43k and it is completely gone in all gears. Never had a problem with high rpm high load. I was really amazed at how much carbon build up affected power on a MAP based control system. Valve carbon build up was on par with others on here at same milage. The car is now smooth as butter in all load regions/conditions.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 08:36 AM   #47
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 AT Sport Montego Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post

I know I have seen pictures of the carbon build up on other cars, but my car has over 80k miles now and it runs smooth as silk. I've had my issues, but as for carbon, I wonder if taking it to the track and running the hell out of it, getting it so hot, that it burns off the carbon? I did a track day a few months back. Ran 5 20 min sessions and burned through two tanks of e85. My car was so hot it smelled hot. The carbon in my exhaust was even gone. It would have been nice to have before and after pictures.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 09:06 AM   #48
BMWM.D.
Stupid Idiot
Rep
Drives: E90 335i & 6th Gen ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerotest View Post
I had the same shudder at low rpm, high load with the stage 1 OFT tune. Walnut blasted valves at 43k and it is completely gone in all gears. Never had a problem with high rpm high load. I was really amazed at how much carbon build up affected power on a MAP based control system. Valve carbon build up was on par with others on here at same milage. The car is now smooth as butter in all load regions/conditions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedge1967 View Post
I know I have seen pictures of the carbon build up on other cars, but my car has over 80k miles now and it runs smooth as silk. I've had my issues, but as for carbon, I wonder if taking it to the track and running the hell out of it, getting it so hot, that it burns off the carbon? I did a track day a few months back. Ran 5 20 min sessions and burned through two tanks of e85. My car was so hot it smelled hot. The carbon in my exhaust was even gone. It would have been nice to have before and after pictures.

Yeah, I haven't really come to a conclusion on why some cars are so bad and others don't seem to have any problems at all with carbon. The way they're driven, type of fuel used, how clean the engine oil is kept? It's hard to know when it isn't your personal car.

FWIW, all the cars I've driven with that low-rpm shudder have been 6MT cars.
      10-18-2013, 09:20 AM   #49
BADS335
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Montego 335i E90

Have you swapped the plug locations? I had swapped all mine out and had some of the same codes and swapped a coil and injector before swapping plugs to find the codes moved with the plug. New plug and all was good. Maybe you did this already or it is beyond this but sharing my experience.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 10:04 AM   #50
MSport35TT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2010 BMW 335ix  [1.50]
This may have been said already but I would check you injectors and make sure it's not leaking on to you spark plug and fouling it out. Also get a carbon blast (walnut) and you should be fine.

Lastly check both high pressure and low pressure pumps along with sensors for each

TMPS Sensor 09+ For Sale
x1 Seat Belt For Sale
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 10:17 AM   #51
Aerotest
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i 6MT

While cleaning the valves I noticed the crank case breather ports in each of the intake runners. Looking at the schematics it looks like there is an oil seperator built into the valve cover that feeds thesea ports. Makes since to do it this way due to the intake charge being higher preasure than the crank case. Would be nice to feed this line with solvent once in a while to help manage the build up.
Appreciate 0