E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Alpine Hifi upgrade add ons

07-03-2014, 10:38 AM   #1
SpaceGreyOnBlack
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E92

Alpine Hifi upgrade add ons

Hey guys!

In the process of getting the Alpine Hi-Fi upgrade

What tweaks/ add ons would you recommend to this set up?

I hear Logic 7's are the best underseat sub replacements!

Any other recommendations? Has anyone added a boot sub?

Please excuse me as I'm a total audio noob!

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 12:23 PM   #2
chriss_5
Rep
Drives: 325i

Speakers,

It's tough to get any response at all on here mate, I posted about a week ago but no responses... On two separate things. Anyways if I can help you great :-) my help is only based off my readings though.

From my research, the sws8 (earthquakes) are best if you do not intend on having a boot sub.
The jehnerts xe200 for under seats are best for mid bass if your intending a sub in the boot.

I decided on getting the level 7 speakers minus amp/subs and replaced those, need an amp and sub set now, I feel I'm going to go sws8 route, amp, I'm not sure.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 01:01 PM   #3
BoondogUK
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue e90

With the alpine setup I would recommend the Logic 7 underseats.

The SWS8s and Gladen are amazing and kick really hard meaning you dont need a sub. However the Alpine amp is not really powerful enough to get the most from them.

The Alpine upgrade is not the most 'upgradeable' system in the world but is much better than base. Add the L7s and unless you want a bigger bass thump it should be all you need
      07-03-2014, 01:04 PM   #4
BoondogUK
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriss_5 View Post
It's tough to get any response at all on here mate, I posted about a week ago but no responses... On two separate things. Anyways if I can help you great :-) my help is only based off my readings though.

From my research, the sws8 (earthquakes) are best if you do not intend on having a boot sub.
The jehnerts xe200 for under seats are best for mid bass if your intending a sub in the boot.

I decided on getting the level 7 speakers minus amp/subs and replaced those, need an amp and sub set now, I feel I'm going to go sws8 route, amp, I'm not sure.
I guess the issue here Chris is that there are 100s of threads that ask the same questions... Either the audio section of the site or a good search here with throw up lots of threads discussing audio setup do's / don'ts and compatible options
      07-03-2014, 02:39 PM   #5
chriss_5
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoondogUK View Post
I guess the issue here Chris is that there are 100s of threads that ask the same questions... Either the audio section of the site or a good search here with throw up lots of threads discussing audio setup do's / don'ts and compatible options

Hi, I know, I kind of figured this but my other issue was of a different nature but still, I didn't mean any offence to anyone, I was simply trying to assist another member.

I have genuinely read so much myself but cautious as I've not meddled with bmw before and it's my new baby as so to speak but I think reading as much as I have has it's negative effects hence now I do not know where best to go of course any feedback at all is better than none.

Hope you understand what I mean :-D
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 03:30 PM   #6
BoondogUK
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Hi, I know, I kind of figured this but my other issue was of a different nature but still, I didn't mean any offence to anyone, I was simply trying to assist another member.

I have genuinely read so much myself but cautious as I've not meddled with bmw before and it's my new baby as so to speak but I think reading as much as I have has it's negative effects hence now I do not know where best to go of course any feedback at all is better than none.

Hope you understand what I mean :-D
Yip, I remember the same feeling. At some stage you just have to get stuck in, its not as daunting as it may seem.
      07-03-2014, 04:04 PM   #7
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGreyOnBlack View Post
Hey guys!

In the process of getting the Alpine Hi-Fi upgrade

What tweaks/ add ons would you recommend to this set up?

I hear Logic 7's are the best underseat sub replacements!

Any other recommendations? Has anyone added a boot sub?

Please excuse me as I'm a total audio noob!

Thanks!
Audio setup can be very expensive and most forum members take their time to build their setup. Sometime it takes 2-3 years to reach where you want to be.

I have had played with all sort of audio systems starting from base to individual sound system. Best was
- BMW individual audio setup
- BSW sound system (currently for sale in classified) in terms of quality, clarity and loud

There is no doubt that Alpine kit is cheapest and best value for money IMHO.

Going back to your question, here is how you can improve Alpine kit if you want
1- Level 1: Alpine kit
2- Level 2: If you not happy with the bass then add L7 subs
3- Level 3: If you want more mid bass, then add L7 mids.

If you do all these, you will have amazing sound.

If you are still not happy, then you will need custome tweaking of the wires to have RCA out and you can add a sub.

An alternate to this and defo better than this is Gladen kit with mosconi DSP amp. Again amazing value for the money.

Good luck with your sound setup.
      07-03-2014, 04:29 PM   #8
chriss_5
Rep

I do to want to thread hijack, could I please, trouble one of you too to advise n my audio post or is here fine? . In my circumstances am. Best to get the alpine kit retrofitted first?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 07:45 PM   #9
SpaceGreyOnBlack
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E92

Chriss thanks for your input mate!

Boondoguk - thanks man! I'm going for the L7 route

Sam - so nicely put mate! I've already pulled the trigger on the alpine with L7s now! But l7 mids I may add! Thanks again for your advice!

Thanks all!
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 05:29 AM   #10
bracken78
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E91 330i M-Sport

I to have 'pulled the trigger' but only on the Alpine kit (but for an E87). I have a question which I don't know the answer to. If I add L7's, do I need an amp to run them or are they just 'plug and play'?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 05:55 AM   #11
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I do to want to thread hijack, could I please, trouble one of you too to advise n my audio post or is here fine? . In my circumstances am. Best to get the alpine kit retrofitted first?
Chris, bump your thread or post a link here so we can reply there (just to be fair with OP).
      07-04-2014, 05:57 AM   #12
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bracken78 View Post
I to have 'pulled the trigger' but only on the Alpine kit (but for an E87). I have a question which I don't know the answer to. If I add L7's, do I need an amp to run them or are they just 'plug and play'?
Alpine amp is 4 channel amp. 2 channels drive the front mids and other 2 drive the underseat mid bass drivers.

You take underseats out and put L7 subs there. If your car is LCI, and you have 6 inch mid bass driver glued to the boxes, then you will have to change the boxes too. As L7 mids are secured with 4 torx screws.

In either way, wiring plug is straight fit.
      07-04-2014, 06:07 AM   #13
bracken78
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Alpine amp is 4 channel amp. 2 channels drive the front mids and other 2 drive the underseat mid bass drivers.

You take underseats out and put L7 subs there. If your car is LCI, and you have 6 inch mid bass driver glued to the boxes, then you will have to change the boxes too. As L7 mids are secured with 4 torx screws.

In either way, wiring plug is straight fit.
Thank you very much Makkan for your reply. My car is pre LCI so a straight fit.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 06:15 AM   #14
BoondogUK
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Thank you very much Makkan for your reply. My car is pre LCI so a straight fit.
yip, Pre lci is screwed not glued to you should be able to do a straight swap of the woofers.
      07-04-2014, 07:59 AM   #15
bracken78
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoondogUK View Post
yip, Pre lci is screwed not glued to you should be able to do a straight swap of the woofers.
Thanks BoondogUK and Sorry spacegreyonblack for hijacking your thread.

Where does everyone by the L7's from?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 08:45 AM   #16
BoondogUK
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Thanks BoondogUK and Sorry spacegreyonblack for hijacking your thread.

Where does everyone by the L7's from?
I took a different route and went aftermarket, but they pop up in the classifieds here from time to time or ebay.

They are of course available straight from BMW as well.
      07-04-2014, 10:44 AM   #17
chriss_5
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Chris, bump your thread or post a link here so we can reply there (just to be fair with OP).
hey, and link to my post is this
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...0#post16236160

really appreciate any help, feedback even negative :-)
Appreciate 0