E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Is the R8 a safe vehicle for a 3 year old in booster seat to ride? Any fathers?

02-08-2014, 01:26 PM   #45
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean05 View Post
yea BMW owners think they know it all... even a 18 year old will comment stupid shit and they have no clue about it.. SMH ignorant SOB lol
You're just such a badass. I wish I could be like you.
      02-08-2014, 02:31 PM   #46
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 02:53 PM   #47
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean05 View Post
yea BMW owners think they know it all... even a 18 year old will comment stupid shit and they have no clue about it.. SMH ignorant SOB lol
You're just such a badass. I wish I could be like you.
Thank you smh heres one of them thank you
      02-08-2014, 03:30 PM   #48
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

I remember seeing a Ferrari 458 owner and his kid was in the passenger seat. The kid looked to be less then 4 years old. However, the kid had a kick ass child recaro seat!!
      02-08-2014, 04:06 PM   #49
Rotorocious
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 04:39 PM   #50
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorocious View Post
Meh I don't know how I feel about this video. This guy obviously cares a lot for his kid but driving 100 MPH on a public road with a child in the front seat is extremely risky.

I think a lot of drivers are this way. They view speeding to be as innocuous as jaywalking or littering.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 07:59 AM   #51
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
If you really cared about the safety of your kid you'd never take her in ANY car

Some people here need to loosen their sphincters and live a little
Take her with you as long as the seat is correctly fastened
And let her learn to enjoy the V8 sound
Someday she'll give her husband less hassle when he wants to buy a sports car
      02-09-2014, 09:37 AM   #52
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

Just wear a helmet like Schumaker and you won't die.. bunch of uptight ass-sphincters.
Seriously, some people are too safe, and some people probably not enough.
If you're the guy asking if triple back-up jack stands before you get under the car, you are probably planning on dying once every 1000yrs, if you post asking if your sports car is safe enough for your kid, you love driving too much or you hate your kid. J/K
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 02:01 PM   #53
catcher22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

There is just so much wrong in this thread it's just crazy. who cares if she likes fast cars? How is that even relevant to you transporting her safely? I would just stick with the M3 and tell her it's the fastester. Not like she'll know, or care.

I also like all the old people comparing their safe childhood to a 3 year old kid growing up in 2014. You could do pretty much anything back then compared to today.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 03:20 PM   #54
NemesisX
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcher22 View Post
There is just so much wrong in this thread it's just crazy. who cares if she likes fast cars? How is that even relevant to you transporting her safely? I would just stick with the M3 and tell her it's the fastester. Not like she'll know, or care.

I also like all the old people comparing their safe childhood to a 3 year old kid growing up in 2014. You could do pretty much anything back then compared to today.
This but don't say "fasterer"

Contrary to popular belief, adults should not speak to kids using deliberately incorrect "baby language" (think: "goo goo gah gah" or encouraging misspellings/mispronunciations of words). It's detrimental to their development.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 03:29 PM   #55
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

That's the bestestest point I've read in a long time!

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 03:44 PM   #56
chumley
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335

Quote:

Exactly, thank you!

Ultimately it's up to a parent to decide what's safe for their child but factoring what the kid thinks is bad news. I'm usually in favor of people making their own decisions and I do think that if you can shut an airbag off it's generally not the worst thing you could do - depending on the age/size of the kid.

I do think 3 is WAY too young though. As a parent I can't imagine doing that. My daughter's almost 10 and I am only now JUST starting to think about whether I would let her ride in the front seat of future 'vette or boxster.

MHD flash, DCI, BMW PE, ETS FMIC, Powerflex, SWS8xi's, VMR 803's in Solar Rain, LUX V4
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 04:25 PM   #57
Myrder
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i MSport 6MT LMB

Not that I care about if OP uses his car or not to transport his child.

But, how do you think people transported their children in the 50s-80s? Did they not ride in cars?

I guarantee an R8 is a lot safer than a car built in the time period I mentioned. It's really up to the OP if he turns the car into a missile with his kid in the car. But if I had to put my kid in a car that got hit going 30mph, I would choose the R8 over some fiero any day.

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 05:09 PM   #58
schoy
Major
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red E90 M3

As a father of a 5-year-old and 2-year-old, the question isn't whether the OP's daughter will be safe (there's too many variables to answer that question: OP's driving ability, R8's crash resistance, the abilities of other drivers that OP will be encountering), but whether the OP's daughter will be safer. If the R8 is the sole car that the OP had, then clearly the law allows the daughter to ride up front. But, as we all know, what we can do (i.e. legally) is often different that what we should do.

Here, the OP clearly has a safer alternative that is readily available: the rear seat of his e90. Would his daughter have less fun? Probably. But then, would you hand over the keys to the R8 when your daughter turns 16 and gets her permit? Probably not, even though -- while legal -- it's "less fun".

Ultimately, as a parent, it's your duty to make the safety decisions for your underage child because underage children cannot reasonably make those decisions for themselves.

Edit: Remember, you are your kids PARENT, not their friend. On the flip side, this forum is replete with indignation from members (and correctly so) when a parent hands the keys to an M3 to their teenage kid. "Worst parents ever!" we cry in disbelief, when the kid crashes the car. And yet, somehow, we seem okay, and in some respects complicit, when a parent puts their child in the front seat of an R8? Seems like a double-standard. One could actually argue that the latter scenario is worse since the child never had a chance to decide otherwise (whereas the teenage driver had some control over his/her situation).

Last edited by schoy; 02-10-2014 at 05:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 09:46 PM   #59
charrigan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Fiat 500e, Audi Q5, 328d(soon)

The first problem is having a booster for a 3 year old. CDC says a child must be rear facing until at least 2, in a forward facing car seat from 2 to AT LEAST 5, a booster from 5 until they are 57 inches tall. A child under 5 does not have a well enough developed spine. When in a booster too early and in an accident the spine will compress typically causing severe spinal injuries.

Auto related injuries are THE leading cause of child deaths. The largest % being associated to improper seating.

Read here before doing anything and protect your childen. I personally see 90% of people without proper seating and/or rushing their child through seating to convenience themselves selfishly. If my children were to get injured by my poor choices of child seating I wouldn't be able to live with myself.

http://www.cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafet...factsheet.html
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 11:23 AM   #60
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
      02-11-2014, 01:08 PM   #61
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX
Quote:

This but don't say "fasterer"

Contrary to popular belief, adults should not speak to kids using deliberately incorrect "baby language" (think: "goo goo gah gah" or encouraging misspellings/mispronunciations of words). It's detrimental to their development.
How many kids do you have again?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 02:29 PM   #62
Maddict3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 991 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaArtist View Post
Man I can't believe some people actually have children. I'm out of this thread. Just frustrating.
+1
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 10:50 PM   #63
s4play
Car Tuning Geek
United_States
Rep
Drives: too many rides....

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoy View Post
As a father of a 5-year-old and 2-year-old, the question isn't whether the OP's daughter will be safe (there's too many variables to answer that question: OP's driving ability, R8's crash resistance, the abilities of other drivers that OP will be encountering), but whether the OP's daughter will be safer. If the R8 is the sole car that the OP had, then clearly the law allows the daughter to ride up front. But, as we all know, what we can do (i.e. legally) is often different that what we should do.

Here, the OP clearly has a safer alternative that is readily available: the rear seat of his e90. Would his daughter have less fun? Probably. But then, would you hand over the keys to the R8 when your daughter turns 16 and gets her permit? Probably not, even though -- while legal -- it's "less fun".

Ultimately, as a parent, it's your duty to make the safety decisions for your underage child because underage children cannot reasonably make those decisions for themselves.

Edit: Remember, you are your kids PARENT, not their friend. On the flip side, this forum is replete with indignation from members (and correctly so) when a parent hands the keys to an M3 to their teenage kid. "Worst parents ever!" we cry in disbelief, when the kid crashes the car. And yet, somehow, we seem okay, and in some respects complicit, when a parent puts their child in the front seat of an R8? Seems like a double-standard. One could actually argue that the latter scenario is worse since the child never had a chance to decide otherwise (whereas the teenage driver had some control over his/her situation).

You make some excellent points and serious points so I'd address it really quick...

My whole point of this thread was simply to ask if it was safe and (legal) to take my child in the R8. Obviously I'm not doing this on a daily basis. This would be on certain occasions maybe a Friday special jaunt with daddy for a short trip around town. It seems harmless enough and I would never speed in any of my cars when children or even friends are present. It does not take an R8 to speed, I've seen crazy careless parents drive their minivan's like a maniac and that is far more dangerous.

Anyways my intention was not to start a political uproar here since we are all grown adults. My child's safety is always the most important and I've bought some of the safest baby seats on the market to ensure they are well protected. The Clek is probably the absolute Ferrari of baby seats and we use these seats in our cars. We have a pair of SUV's for family duties and the M3 is when I need to take both kids out.

Oddly enough a co-worker and I were discussing car safety and he said in Europe (Sweden) safety is one of their top priorities and they actually believe kids in the front seat are safe with an airbag.

So like all parenting, guess we will have to sit on this a while and probably wait till she gets a bit older. But it's good to have a discussion here regardless.
15 Ferrari 458 Spider
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 11:34 PM   #64
NemesisX
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanness View Post
How many kids do you have again?
The answer to that question is irrelevant to the validity of my claim, but I'll play. I have 0 kids. Why do you ask?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 12:26 AM   #65
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
adults should not speak to kids using deliberately incorrect "baby language" (think: "goo goo gah gah" or encouraging misspellings/mispronunciations of words). It's detrimental to their development.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
The answer to that question is irrelevant to the validity of my claim, but I'll play. I have 0 kids. Why do you ask?
Because parents don't deliberately encourage misspellings/mispronounciations in their children. They are endearing things said, born from a bond you don't understand. But thanks for assuming people are retarded - and for the parenting tips.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 01:06 AM   #66
NemesisX
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanness View Post
Because parents don't deliberately encourage misspellings/mispronounciations in their children. They are endearing things said, born from a bond you don't understand. But thanks for assuming people are retarded - and for the parenting tips.
That's not what I said. I did not say that parents deliberately encourage their children to misspell or mispronounce words. I alluded to the fact that parents sometimes deliberately reciprocate with "baby talk" when conversing with their children, presumably as a form of endearment.

Example:
Quote:
My response to ddk632 was not a criticism. It was obvious that he was being facetious with his use of "fasterer." I only posted what I did as an interesting and informative tidbit to a common misconception, using ddk32's facetious use of "fasterer" as a conversational bridge. It's not entirely obvious that responding to a child with baby talk can have undesirable consequences. I wasn't actually giving him parenting advice.

The fact that you completely misconstrued my post and used that strawman to launch an attack on my character (i.e. someone who doesn't understand "bonds" formed between people) is a testament to your abject incompetence and breathtaking arrogance.
Appreciate 0