E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > The Sports Lounge > Mike Leach was screwed by Texas Tech and James Family

12-30-2009, 10:41 PM   #1
uwhusky
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 4.0 drive

Garage List
2006 e90 330xi  [0.00]
Mike Leach was screwed by Texas Tech and James Family

Enough said. The James family are a bunch of whining babies. They can't handle a little discipline and definately can't handle working hard.

I like Mike Leach. Texas Tech football fans need to get ready for years of mediocrity in the brutal Big XII south and get used to not going to bowl games and not being all that competetive anymore.

Too bad for them. Leach will land an even sweeter gig somewhere else in the next year or two. Meanwhile he leaves with $1.6 million in severance pay.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2009, 10:44 PM   #2
TwinTurboXI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Couldn't agree more

Leach was a great coach for Tech.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2009, 10:50 PM   #3
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwhusky View Post
Enough said. The James family are a bunch of whining babies. They can't handle a little discipline and definately can't handle working hard.

I like Mike Leach. Texas Tech football fans need to get ready for years of mediocrity in the brutal Big XII south and get used to not going to bowl games and not being all that competetive anymore.

Too bad for them. Leach will land an even sweeter gig somewhere else in the next year or two. Meanwhile he leaves with $1.6 million in severance pay.
I don't think they have to pay him the $400,000 per year because they claim they fired him with clause.
      12-30-2009, 10:52 PM   #4
uwhusky
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 4.0 drive

Garage List
2006 e90 330xi  [0.00]
I see Leach staying in the south and there aren't a lot of great openings this year. I suspect he may sit out a year and return to coaching next year after some quality programs get openings.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2009, 06:38 AM   #5
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

As a long time Southwest conference/Big XII alum he was not real popular down here. At least alums from the schools I have friends from. Texas, Baylor, and A&M.

Maybe his buddy the Donald can hook him up a gig somewhere. No. I don't like him either.

Do you honestly think he would go run to daddy, who I am sure had his share of discipline in football with SMU, if it was not something that crossed the line. Plus the fact that bringing this to light, if false, could jeopardize his fathers career.

Last edited by gonzo; 12-31-2009 at 07:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2009, 06:43 AM   #6
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

On Dec. 17, James said Leach told trainers to put him "the darkest place you can find." James was sent to an equipment shed near the practice field, where a member of the athletic staff checked on James to make sure he did not lean against anything or sit on the floor. James said Leach told him that if he came out he would be kicked off the team.

— When the team returned to practice two days later, on Dec. 19, James said Leach told trainers to "find the tightest, darkest place" for the player. James, in his street clothes, was put in an electrical closet inside the football stadium for hours, again monitored by a member of the athletic staff.

The person close to the inquiry said James spent two hours Dec. 17 in a shed the size of a one-car garage that was filled with coolers and the player was "caught" sitting down on one. All the coolers were removed, the person said, and the door to the shed was closed with James inside.

On Dec. 19, James was taken to an electrical room but the buzz was too loud, so he was taken to a press room where all the furniture was removed and he was told not to sit down, the person said.

That should teach a player not to get a head injury.
Discipline for dumb mistakes on the field or being a jerk off the field? Yes.

Good riddance Mike.

Last edited by gonzo; 12-31-2009 at 06:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2009, 07:01 AM   #7
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seminole View Post
I don't think they have to pay him the $400,000 per year because they claim they fired him with clause.
At this time he does not get a dime.
      12-31-2009, 07:40 AM   #8
radix
you know he kills little girls like you
No_Country
Rep
Drives: -

Wow, this Leach guy is a real idiot. He clearly is incapable of contemplating the long term consequences of his actions. What good did he think would come of this? Did he think he was going to teach the faker a lesson? Did he even stop to consider that the kid (James) wasn't faking? What sort of message does this send to kids who suffered from a concussion at a later date? Obviously some would simply try to "play through it", so as not to risk getting kicked off the team. Then you'd have some kid drop dead in practice because he didn't want to tell coach he has a concussion, despite the fact that a doctor told him he did. Clearly this above scenario is hypothetical, but not at all outside the realm of plausibility. Seriously, this guy should be kicked out of college football, if nothing else, for being a colossal dumbass.

His lawyer is now trying to make it seem like he did the kid a favor.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ach/index.html

Quote:
"Because of the fact that he had a concussion and he was extremely limited in the physical activity he could undergo, Mike felt like that was the best place for him and still be close to and part of the team,'' Liggett told the paper. "There's much, much more than meets the eye. The diagnosing doctor has signed a note stating that Adam James was in no way injured by the actions coach Leach took. In fact, he was better off in the building than he would have been outside."
That's just fucking heart warming. He put the kid in the shed to make sure that no harm came to him. That must have been why he did it. Recalcitrant dumbass.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2009, 07:46 AM   #9
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

At least he could have erected one of these so he could be close to the team while being safe.

"Hey. You on the right. Get up. Theres no laying down".
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2009, 08:20 AM   #10
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I just read some former players accounts of Mr. James.

They said he would try and cut corners in the weight room.

If true isn't it the strength coaches job to remedy that?

A few current players were quoted as saying they are glad Leach is gone.

As far as whining goes. There have been numerous reports, before this, that Leach was a tyrant when negotiating his latest contract. The President and AD said he made unreasonable demands and would not budge on certain clauses.

I feel he started digging his own grave long ago. Now walk the plank Captain.
Attached Images

Last edited by gonzo; 12-31-2009 at 08:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2009, 08:34 AM   #11
Digital.James
Colonel
Rep
Drives: GT4, Raptor.2, Tuono 1100F

i dont get it.

a doctor diagnosed that james did not have a concussion after the practice in question.

james did not show up to the next practice.

player was disciplined for not showing up to practice and then claimed to have a concussion?

why didnt he tell the doctor who saw him that he felt like he had a concussion? they usually listen
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2009, 09:25 AM   #12
TwinTurboXI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
I just read some former players accounts of Mr. James.

They said he would try and cut corners in the weight room.

If true isn't it the strength coaches job to remedy that?

A few current players were quoted as saying they are glad Leach is gone.

As far as whining goes. There have been numerous reports, before this, that Leach was a tyrant when negotiating his latest contract. The President and AD said he made unreasonable demands and would not budge on certain clauses.

I feel he started digging his own grave long ago. Now walk the plank Captain.
Unreasonable demands in his contract? Like what? Leach is/and was the best football coach that will ever coach for that school. he took their football program and made it into something. He could demand alot of things because in his situation, he deserved them.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2009, 09:27 AM   #13
TwinTurboXI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

and if these accusations against leach really are true, AND James truly had a concussion, then he deserved to be fired as well. No worries though, he'll go coach at a better program anyway.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2009, 09:31 AM   #14
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
On Dec. 17, James said Leach told trainers to put him "the darkest place you can find." James was sent to an equipment shed near the practice field, where a member of the athletic staff checked on James to make sure he did not lean against anything or sit on the floor. James said Leach told him that if he came out he would be kicked off the team.

— When the team returned to practice two days later, on Dec. 19, James said Leach told trainers to "find the tightest, darkest place" for the player. James, in his street clothes, was put in an electrical closet inside the football stadium for hours, again monitored by a member of the athletic staff.

The person close to the inquiry said James spent two hours Dec. 17 in a shed the size of a one-car garage that was filled with coolers and the player was "caught" sitting down on one. All the coolers were removed, the person said, and the door to the shed was closed with James inside.

On Dec. 19, James was taken to an electrical room but the buzz was too loud, so he was taken to a press room where all the furniture was removed and he was told not to sit down, the person said.

That should teach a player not to get a head injury.
Discipline for dumb mistakes on the field or being a jerk off the field? Yes.
I agree. It's one thing to discipline and makes kids work their asses off, but locking any kid in an electrical room is flat out ridiculous.

All TT fans and alumns need to be pissed at Mike Leach. Craig James asked for an appology and Leach refused to honor that. Add to the fact that Leach and the Athletic Director (probably other people) were already at odds with each other cost him his job. If you're blaming this all on Adam and Craig James you're dilussional. Leach cost himself his job. Look at the BIG picture. This was the tipping point.

As far as Adam James not having a concuscion? That's the first I've heard of that.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2009, 10:13 AM   #15
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

hook em
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2009, 10:13 AM   #16
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTurboXI View Post
and if these accusations against leach really are true, AND James truly had a concussion, then he deserved to be fired as well. No worries though, he'll go coach at a better program anyway.
Maybe. He will bring in a ton of baggage, regardless. Regents have to weigh these things very carefully.

He will never coach in the Big XII again.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2009, 10:39 AM   #17
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTurboXI View Post
Unreasonable demands in his contract? Like what? Leach is/and was the best football coach that will ever coach for that school. he took their football program and made it into something. He could demand alot of things because in his situation, he deserved them.

Texas Tech officials provided Leach a letter setting out guidelines for dealing with student-athletes, which the coach refused to sign it. The letter was included in court papers filed in response to his motion for a restraining order.

Among the guidelines:

— “Decisions regarding whether an injury warrants suspension from practice and/or play will be determined by a physician without pressure from you or your staff.”

— “There will be no retaliation against any student who has suffered an injury.”
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2009, 10:59 AM   #18
number335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 Coupe

LUBBOCK, Texas -- Texas Tech fired coach Mike Leach on Wednesday, two days after he was suspended by the school as it investigated his treatment of a player with a concussion.

"I'm very sad to say there's only one person to blame for this and it's Mike Leach," Texas Tech chancellor Kent Hance told The Associated Press.

Jerry Turner, vice chairman of the university system's board of regents, said "other things" came to light during an investigation of Leach's treatment of receiver Adam James. Turner declined to elaborate about the other issues.

Later, in a telephone interview with ESPN's Rece Davis, Hance said: "I like him and I wanted him to be my coach, but insubordination and this type of activity just cannot be permitted."

"In a defiant act of insubordination, Coach Leach continually refused to cooperate in a meaningful way to help resolve the complaint. He also refused to obey a suspension order and instead sued Texas Tech University," the statement said.

The school handed a termination letter to Leach's attorney, Ted Liggett, minutes before the two sides were to appear in a Lubbock courtroom for a hearing on the coach's suspension.

It appears that what ultimately got Leach fired was his reluctance to cooperate during the investigation and his insubordination with the school president. If he believes he is innocent of any wrongdoings, why not just cooperate instead of making things worse?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2009, 12:51 PM   #19
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital.James View Post
i dont get it.

a doctor diagnosed that james did not have a concussion after the practice in question.

james did not show up to the next practice.

player was disciplined for not showing up to practice and then claimed to have a concussion?

why didnt he tell the doctor who saw him that he felt like he had a concussion? they usually listen
"Because of the fact that he had a concussion and he was extremely limited in the physical activity he could undergo, Mike felt like that was the best place for him and still be close to and part of the team,'' Liggett told the paper. "There's much, much more than meets the eye. The diagnosing doctor has signed a note stating that Adam James was in no way injured by the actions coach Leach took. In fact, he was better off in the building than he would have been outside."

Seems like Leach's recognizes the concussion.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2009, 01:37 PM   #20
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch View Post
I agree. It's one thing to discipline and makes kids work their asses off, but locking any kid in an electrical room is flat out ridiculous.
There is waaay more than meets the eye in this story, and the coach's methods are clearly questionable, but calling adult college students kids is ridiculous. It sounds more like a cocky collegent athlete (I know, I was one) whining because he didn't get what he thought he deserved. So rather than accept his punishment, this "kid" decides to make a big stink about the methods to get what he wanted. Sad on all sides, actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2009, 02:31 PM   #21
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

Sounds like a douchebag.
      12-31-2009, 04:28 PM   #22
addy85
Got beef?
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
that kids an idiot, when u have a concussion a dark place is the best place for you. Also search the video of the room he was in, that will change your mind

Special Thanks to AU335
Appreciate 0