E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > BMW Insured Warranty

05-30-2012, 05:16 AM   #1
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

BMW Insured Warranty

Hi all,

Just a general interest really in how you rate the BMW (Mondial) Insured Warranty if you chose to take it out after your New Car/AUC warranty expired?

What are your comments on the claims process and support offered?

Is it worth paying more for the BMW Emergency Sevice?

Also, has anyone who is modified claimed on this warranty i.e. removed remap/JB4, DP's etc from the car before a claim? I am lead to believe that even when you removed such things, the DME flags up still.

Thanks .
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 05:27 AM   #2
Guvernator
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i SE Cabriolet

The one time I tried to make a warranty claim for an annoying noise from the roof on my E93 was a bit of a disaster as I got messed about by the dealer and I had to end up paying for the repair as it turned out it wasn't covered under warranty, even though the service manager said it would be. However this might have more to do with the ineptness of the dealer than the actual warranty.

I have heard very positive things re the warranty otherwise and with the "well known" issues on the 335i engine, I don't think I'd want to run without one so I will be renewing mine in a few months on the monthly scheme which is quite reasonable. The only downside is that you are locked into main dealer servicing.

As for the emergency assist, the one time I have had to call them out for a flat on one of my RFT's, they were brilliant. Arrived in about 20 minutes and transported me, the OH and a friend home on a dedicated low loader and offered to take me to a garage the next day if required so well worth the money I reckon.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 05:31 AM   #3
greatbm
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G15 840i Coupe

Can only speak for the one claim I had for a misfire on number 3 cylinder. Mondial turned up at home hooked up computer, diagnosed and repaired on the spot, 6 coil packs and 6 spark plugs replaced. Nothing to pay and no charge for worn spark plugs as they were due at service which was booked in at dealers, dealer stamped book as changed. All in all pleased with BMW extended warranty for £48 a month all in no excess.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 05:36 AM   #4
N8 H
Wales
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3

I contacted BMW about getting my 135i covered but then I thought about it and they will probably make up anything to say its not covered or its a wear and tear component.

off topic but I remember your name from SCN, I had a noggy S3. I think i remember you saying you wanted a 335i after the LCR, good to see you in a 135i though and a familar name lol

Last edited by N8 H; 05-30-2012 at 07:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 07:50 AM   #5
Ste133
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i

I've got the extended warranty and I'm happy to pay the £48 a month.

Having the warranty is one of the main reasons I won't be looking into getting a remap any time soon- giving them a reason to say no just isn't worth it for me.

I pay my money and I hope that the warranty will look after me when and if I need it..

For me, it's more the peace of mind..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 07:55 AM   #6
Cyprio
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi S4 B/Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guvernator View Post
The one time I tried to make a warranty claim for an annoying noise from the roof on my E93 was a bit of a disaster as I got messed about by the dealer and I had to end up paying for the repair as it turned out it wasn't covered under warranty, even though the service manager said it would be. However this might have more to do with the ineptness of the dealer than the actual warranty.

I have heard very positive things re the warranty otherwise and with the "well known" issues on the 335i engine, I don't think I'd want to run without one so I will be renewing mine in a few months on the monthly scheme which is quite reasonable. The only downside is that you are locked into main dealer servicing.

As for the emergency assist, the one time I have had to call them out for a flat on one of my RFT's, they were brilliant. Arrived in about 20 minutes and transported me, the OH and a friend home on a dedicated low loader and offered to take me to a garage the next day if required so well worth the money I reckon.
Hmm...I actually contacted bmw re: their aftermarket warranty' to ask them If I would be tied-in to bmw servicing and their answer was - No.

As long as the garage carrying-out the service uses bmw service kits then there is no issue.

I better call them again to get somebody to confirm this.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 08:16 AM   #7
pjs
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i8

MY warranty has saved me literally thousands and thousands of pounds
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 08:25 AM   #8
Statler
Major Pain in the Arse
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 320D M Sport

I took out the Insured Warranty at £39 per month as I opted for the £100 excess.

I've just had both seatbelt pre-tensioners replaced under the warranty but BMW waived the excess as it was a recurring issue. Given that the cost of a major repair is huge I'm ok with it.

It's a monthly policy so I can stop it at any time.

Just a word of warning. My dealer stated that any warranty repair is only guaranteed to the end of the warranty period, so for instance, if my brand new clutch starts juddering again then it would only have had 1 months warranty cover under the original term. He says that BMW don't give any parts guarantee of stuff that has been fitted under warranty other than the remaining warranty period.

I'm not sure this is the case, perhaps some of you more knowledgeable guys could confirm if they have to provide a one or two year parts guarantee despite the warranty?

Ta
S
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 08:36 AM   #9
ihshaikh
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: SUPRA

we took out the policy too and just had a few things done. recouped the value of the years subscription in one go.
      05-30-2012, 08:52 AM   #10
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Well worth it, it seems then chaps. I'll make sure I purchase it after I am back from holiday. I'm debating a yearly subscription or monthly, yearly saves you a bit of money if you divide the lump sum by 12mths. I guess it depends if you have £400 free at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8 H View Post
I contacted BMW about getting my 135i covered but then I thought about it and they will probably make up anything to say its not covered or its a wear and tear component.

off topic but I remember your name from SCN, I had a noggy S3. I think i remember you saying you wanted a 335i after the LCR, good to see you in a 135i though and a familar name lol
Yes I was/am on SCN . Nice to see someone else in the same car, I'm also over on babybmw.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 09:21 AM   #11
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamJay View Post
Hi all,

Just a general interest really in how you rate the BMW (Mondial) Insured Warranty if you chose to take it out after your New Car/AUC warranty expired?

What are your comments on the claims process and support offered?

Is it worth paying more for the BMW Emergency Sevice?

Also, has anyone who is modified claimed on this warranty i.e. removed remap/JB4, DP's etc from the car before a claim? I am lead to believe that even when you removed such things, the DME flags up still.

Thanks .
Devil & deep blue sea springs to mind JJ.

I'd only ever consider a BMW Mondial extended warranty,however, your last sentence is my stumbling block.
The same conditions apply to other warranty providers,none provide cover for any form of modifications to your car,regardless of what the mods are.

Take a car into BMW with any potential warranty problem these days,and the first thing they do is connect it up via the OBD,and send the files over to BMW AG for them to examine.
Any sign of remaps,boxes etc are visible, regardless of any attempt to remove tell tale signs of their previous existence.

Personally, I wouldn't want to get involved in a fight with BMW or Mondial over a denied warranty claim,I'd lose,as would others!

It wouldn't be so bad if it was a relatively small thing,but if it's engine,turbo,gearbox,drivetrain etc related (all things that could be attributable to a remap,box etc)it could be massively expensive to pay for yourself.

Apologies for being the harbinger of doom,but it's worth some head scratching before parting with your hard earned,is it not?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 09:54 AM   #12
N8 H
Wales
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3

Quote:
Yes I was/am on SCN . Nice to see someone else in the same car, I'm also over on babybmw.
Ye I just seen your thread on babybmw.

What plans you got for the 1er then
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 12:30 PM   #13
Tak1986
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW

I think it might be worth taking a policy out.

I have bought mine back in beginning of the year, the car has found a coolant leak with warning on idrive, taken it into local dealership, found the water pump was faulty, replaced it under the insurance warranty.

Also, I have recently asked them via email, they seems to allow taking the car to service at any VAT register garage with genuine parts used (I might be wrong on this, and I would only believe until they send me a new policy booklet with updated wording, they said should be ready to be sent in couple of weeks)

Congrats on the move! saw your signature with a 135, the stopping power should be better with the 6 pots ?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 03:53 AM   #14
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
Devil & deep blue sea springs to mind JJ.

I'd only ever consider a BMW Mondial extended warranty,however, your last sentence is my stumbling block.
The same conditions apply to other warranty providers,none provide cover for any form of modifications to your car,regardless of what the mods are.

Take a car into BMW with any potential warranty problem these days,and the first thing they do is connect it up via the OBD,and send the files over to BMW AG for them to examine.
Any sign of remaps,boxes etc are visible, regardless of any attempt to remove tell tale signs of their previous existence.

Personally, I wouldn't want to get involved in a fight with BMW or Mondial over a denied warranty claim,I'd lose,as would others!

It wouldn't be so bad if it was a relatively small thing,but if it's engine,turbo,gearbox,drivetrain etc related (all things that could be attributable to a remap,box etc)it could be massively expensive to pay for yourself.

Apologies for being the harbinger of doom,but it's worth some head scratching before parting with your hard earned,is it not?
I totally share your concerns and the want to modify is putting me off the warranty a little, ironic seeing as an up rated FMIC and DPs actually aid the car, a remap perhaps not . My feeling was though, BMW UK actually aren't paying for it though, Mondial are so surely if the warranty claim sounds reasonable, BMW will just OK the work without sending a dump from the ECU to BMW HQ, afterall whats the point unless Mondial are insistent on it saaaay if theres a total engine wipeout.

I'm still unsure about how much BMW can tell, ok a remapped ECU may be obvious but one reflashed to stock or jb4 removed should be relatively normal looking right?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 04:53 AM   #15
DarkAnt335i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911 C2S & '118D

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Im only speaking from a BMW AUC warranty POV.

In the last 6 Weeks my car has had the turbo actuators changed, brake sensors replaced, rattling exhaust valve fixed, oxygen sensors replaced and engine management light fixed. Each time it has been in i have removed the JB4 and haven't had any issues with warranty claims.

It could be that; They haven't bothered to check to see if it has been remapped, they can't tell or they don't really care. Either way all problems have been sorted FOC.

On my last visit i spoke to the service manager about the fact that i will be getting Coilovers and ARB's. He said that the car will still be warrantied excluding all suspension components, which is fair enough as they are no longer BMW items.

Also, last year, a friend of mine had his V8 lump replaced FOC by BMW 1 month out of warranty. He had an evolve remap and akropovic exhaust system which was removed before the car went in.....

Like JamJay says, i think that if the engine needed replacing they would probably investigate further. But what they can really find out i'm not sure???
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 06:29 AM   #16
cyberlife
Rep
Drives: E90 320i

I got a 1yr fully comprehensive BMW warranty courtesy of BMW UK after having problems with the clutch on my used 320i not long after I bought it so it started after the AUC warranty ran out.

Only had to make one claim so far and that was alternator related totalling £700+ quite a bit more than the warranty would have cost me if I'd had paid for it. No ifs or buts from the dealer just fixed and back on the road.

Compare this to one particular 3rd party warranty I had on a previous BM where they tried to wriggle out of everything, and I mean everything, I'd not hesitate to pay out for the renewal when it comes through for the BMW one.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 06:45 AM   #17
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I totally share your concerns and the want to modify is putting me off the warranty a little, ironic seeing as an up rated FMIC and DPs actually aid the car, a remap perhaps not . My feeling was though, BMW UK actually aren't paying for it though, Mondial are so surely if the warranty claim sounds reasonable, BMW will just OK the work without sending a dump from the ECU to BMW HQ, afterall whats the point unless Mondial are insistent on it saaaay if theres a total engine wipeout.

I'm still unsure about how much BMW can tell, ok a remapped ECU may be obvious but one reflashed to stock or jb4 removed should be relatively normal looking right?
I can only pass on the info the dealer told me,and that info was backed up by a well known and reputable mapper.

I think a lot depends on the particular dealer JJ,it probably shouldn't,as I'm told that the hookup to BMW AG is an across the board requirement these days for the dealer network where possible warranty claims come up,regardless of it being the new car warranty (3yr), AUC (- 1yr) or Mondial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAnt335i View Post
Im only speaking from a BMW AUC warranty POV.

In the last 6 Weeks my car has had the turbo actuators changed, brake sensors replaced, rattling exhaust valve fixed, oxygen sensors replaced and engine management light fixed. Each time it has been in i have removed the JB4 and haven't had any issues with warranty claims.

It could be that; They haven't bothered to check to see if it has been remapped, they can't tell or they don't really care. Either way all problems have been sorted FOC.

On my last visit i spoke to the service manager about the fact that i will be getting Coilovers and ARB's. He said that the car will still be warrantied excluding all suspension components, which is fair enough as they are no longer BMW items.

Also, last year, a friend of mine had his V8 lump replaced FOC by BMW 1 month out of warranty. He had an evolve remap and akropovic exhaust system which was removed before the car went in.....

Like JamJay says, i think that if the engine needed replacing they would probably investigate further. But what they can really find out i'm not sure???
As above really,but your comments about coilovers,ARB's is correct,I've been told the same,but it's hardly surprising as you say.

Bizarrelly,my dealer changed a M3 wishbone under warranty that I had bought from them and had fitted to my car by an Indi!

I guess it comes down to the oft used adage:
'You may have to pay,if you play'.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 06:56 AM   #18
DarkAnt335i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911 C2S & '118D

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Agreed. You may have to pay to play

Also your defiantly right about the 'depends on dealer' in fact i travel 20+miles to the dealer i currently use as the service they provide is so much better than the 1 less that 4 miles away. The one 4 Miles away ALWAYS quote the £106 diagnosis fee regardless of issue... whereas the other one will let me know before hand whether its fully covered or not. Communication is also far better.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 07:09 AM   #19
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The one 4 Miles away ALWAYS quote the £106 diagnosis fee regardless of issue... whereas the other one will let me know before hand whether its fully covered or not. Communication is also far better.

Wow! I had a problem with my Bilsteins (front).
Whilst I knew BMW would do nothing,and rightly so,I wanted a second opinion on what the problem was,the diagnosis fee was £55.00 + VAT.

This was over a yr ago though.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 10:56 AM   #20
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Well I guess I'll just have to see what happens should i claim. I think having the warranty would be good to cover HPFP and injectors at least. Beauty so far is BMWFSH so no reason for them to think it may have been fettled to date. Of course DPs would be the giveaway Come an inspection but I'd probably stop at FMIC to prevent that, being a lighter car, 400bhp should suffice with a BMW PE for some noise.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 11:42 AM   #21
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Agreed. You may have to pay to play

Also your defiantly right about the 'depends on dealer' in fact i travel 20+miles to the dealer i currently use as the service they provide is so much better than the 1 less that 4 miles away. The one 4 Miles away ALWAYS quote the £106 diagnosis fee regardless of issue... whereas the other one will let me know before hand whether its fully covered or not. Communication is also far better.

you should name and shame the dealer that charges the diagnostic fee!!!!....i think thats a bloody rip off!!!....
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 03:49 AM   #22
Guvernator
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i SE Cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post
you should name and shame the dealer that charges the diagnostic fee!!!!....i think thats a bloody rip off!!!....
Really, I thought this was common practice. I've just had to take my car in to my local dealer for a second time for some warranty work (car won't start) and each time I have been told that there is a £140 odd diagnostic fee which I don't pay if the fault turns out to be covered under warranty but if it isn't, then I have to stump up. Is this not right?
Appreciate 0