E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > run flats to normal tyres

01-24-2013, 01:04 AM   #23
Sparky68
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 Alpine White

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.50]
2017 BMW F30 330D  [0.00]
2014 M135  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Run Flats also have much stiffer side walls which is why thet "crash" over bumps, cats eyes etc.
      01-24-2013, 02:35 AM   #24
shrink
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 325i SE

Plugs and a compressor aren't much use at 11pm at the side of a pitch black road are they though.

I think most people getting a flat, probably care more about getting home quickly and safely than they do about the cost of a new tyre, and certainly more than they care about sitting at the side of a road attempting a permanent tyre repair.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 03:36 AM   #25
phil200tdi
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport E90 LCI manual

I'd rather spend 5 mins on a quick fix which can later be repaired than spend £250 on a new tyre every time.
      01-25-2013, 05:22 AM   #26
simon_e
Rep
Drives: 3 series coupe

Eagles

Goodyear's web site says the Eagles are available in a run flat option... is this a "best of both worlds" solution or does it ruin a great tyre?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 05:39 AM   #27
SCN_Saul
http://www.seatcupra.net
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon_e View Post
Goodyear's web site says the Eagles are available in a run flat option... is this a "best of both worlds" solution or does it ruin a great tyre?
i couldnt find the rears (255/35/18) in eagle F1 assy 2 runflat

fronts (225/40/18) yes, but not the rears
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 06:19 AM   #28
howardinho
Rep
Drives: BMW 318i M Sport 2007

After much thought and reading on here - decided to replace my 4 run flats today with run flats! They are the bridgestone pontenza's. I understand these are the worst of the run flats however they didnt have any others in the garage.

I did order some conti contact 3's and went down today to get them swapped, but they didnt arrive (had to be ordered in) but they still had the RF's in the bridgstone, I basically couldnt be bothered to come back again and was 50/50 about swapping them for these but now im pleased that replaced with RF's.

I did have some doubt in my head about changing to non-rf's, mainly getting a puncture and being stuck somehwere. This goo stuff didnt really appeal to me, so would prob would of got a spacesaver but even then would of been hassle to swap out + boot space.

My old RF's were completely warn, was experiencing tramlining all the time - it was a horrible experience, mainly my fault for letting them get in such a state but since the new rf's the handling and response is so much better, maybe i forgot how the car should drive like... I like the firmness and contact you get with RF's - can be annoying when go over a pothole etc...but normal driving you dont notice it too much.

So in a nutshell - would of prob of liked the of non-rf's as well but I know I would had that doubt in the back of mind about getting a puncture in the worst place/time. So overall Im pleased the conti's didnt arrive and stuck with the RF's - one less thing to worry about on those big drives!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 01:51 PM   #29
gaza01
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hems77 View Post
I changed to non-rfts last Feb' - went for ContiSportContact 5's all round. Ride feels much better and improved MPG.

However noticed yesterday my 2 rears treads are quite low and will need changing soon. Not impressed with the wear on these - only been 11 months. Got MOT next month so will wait after then and see what they say.
10k out of the rears on mine. the 5p seem to wear really quickly.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 02:18 PM   #30
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d lci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhoffm80 View Post
Sorry about the miss spelling and all couldn't correct till logged in later on computer all I'm saying is I do understand why people say ditch the run flats and use fix a flat.

Fix a flat or the canned stuff is supposed to be the compressor and the plug in one and I wouldn't use it.

Use tire plugs and a cigarette lighter compressor no goo no fix a flat it ruins a perfectly good tire/rim and sensor if the nail isn't in the sidewall and tire is perfectly new.

For M cars i would toss there can of fix a flat and buy plugs keep compressor to fix my tire punctures.

and run flats are not all that bad i still use mine cause im torn up on convenience and a super low profile tire with 35 sidewall (which i own) isn't much different then a run flat both are reinforced to keep the side wall from pinching between the rim and road except run flats or made to keep tire on the rim beads and not pealing off which is more a cornering aspect.

ive just fitted non runflats only because I wanted 235 ans 265 and no one seems to make these in a runflat, however after watching this video I think there is a good case for keeping them. I had Pirelli runflats and don't think there was much difference in the ride. ive had 2 sets of bridgestones and personally think they are absolute rubbish and don't understand why bmw continue to fit them.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 04:03 PM   #31
Ajerthan
Bimmaaaa
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 325  [0.00]
I made a move to non run flats recently. Absolutely love it.

InstaGram: Ajerthan
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 02:12 AM   #32
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Changed my 19" Bridgestone Run Flats to Conti Sport Contact 5's ride quality was an instant improvement, rides better over ridges and uneven roads doesn't squirm about over expansion joints or changes in surfaces like the RFL's did a bit quieter too in general day driving. A worthwhile change IMO makes a real difference.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 05:07 PM   #33
insane79
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 lci

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrink View Post
Plugs and a compressor aren't much use at 11pm at the side of a pitch black road are they though.

I think most people getting a flat, probably care more about getting home quickly and safely than they do about the cost of a new tyre, and certainly more than they care about sitting at the side of a road attempting a permanent tyre repair.
I guess you will never buy any of the M cars then, all bmw M cars come with michelin TUBELESS
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 05:10 PM   #34
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

I think BMW have gone after the money, like most people sadly do these days. Another example being that awful Top Gear show. Satisfying the majority i guess, which doesn't mean its right!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 03:39 AM   #35
Luckz 320d
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 320d M Sport

Hi guys, new to the forum and I have been debating this question since I bought my first BMW a few month back, already suffered from numerous cracks to my alloys which I have had to get welded but What I wanted to know is would moving to non RFT help with tyre absorbing the road rather than cracking the alloys
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 04:03 AM   #36
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17 View Post
I think BMW have gone after the money, like most people sadly do these days. Another example being that awful Top Gear show. Satisfying the majority i guess, which doesn't mean its right!
I'd not deny BMW are chasing the money, they have hit a winning formula for sales, and are riding high on it at the moment.

But to be fair, BMW have never sat behind the crowd in developing technology, be it engines, safety, recycling, production systems, etc., even the ECO card coming to the fore.

Therefore we do run into issues. I feel we have been guinea pigs with the run-flat tyre technology, and the E9x models were not really ready (for such a volume seller) for "non optional" RFT fitment. But they are getting there. F30/31 run so much better on RFTs.

I remember talking with one of BMW's Technical Area Managers and he was clear BMW are commited to run-flats, it is the future, even if there is a bit more flexibility to which models can have them as options.

BMW are pushing the run-flat technology for safety, they are clear it is one of the features many of their customers want, even if we detect flaws in the application. OK, it gives BMW flexibility in other design features, CO2 saving, etc., but the safety factor is a major driving force.

I've had plenty of say about RFTs over the years, and removed them from my E91 330d, so know their limitation and characteristics. But must say running them on my 535i is not the same issue at all, compared to the 330d back in 2006. They are now acceptable, difficult to detect they are RFTs, most of the time, so will be keeping them for the safety and convenience.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 05:02 AM   #37
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks HighlandPete. You've changed my attitude with RFTs Re the F10. We are going to order one soon so glad to know it should be an improvement.

I just feel a bit wary with all this technology. I'm not saying its crap, its not, its great. It just feels that we are heading towards an inevitable future where cars will drive themselves. That would be a sad day.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 05:30 AM   #38
philmots
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i Touring LCI

I've just put together a space saver spare wheel kit.

Cheapest way to do it.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 06:28 AM   #39
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks HighlandPete. You've changed my attitude with RFTs Re the F10. We are going to order one soon so glad to know it should be an improvement.

I just feel a bit wary with all this technology. I'm not saying its crap, its not, its great. It just feels that we are heading towards an inevitable future where cars will drive themselves. That would be a sad day.
From my own expereience I'd still recommend trying the suspension/tyre options on the latest cars, as we still have quite a wide difference in ride quality.

On the F10 try and demo cars with and without VDC, to see what you think of refinement differences. VDC allows for a much wider working envelope with the obvious option modes.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 07:25 AM   #40
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
From my own expereience I'd still recommend trying the suspension/tyre options on the latest cars, as we still have quite a wide difference in ride quality.

On the F10 try and demo cars with and without VDC, to see what you think of refinement differences. VDC allows for a much wider working envelope with the obvious option modes.

HighlandPete
Yes we will be test driving a standard SE F10 with 18" wheels next weekend, as we were told it has the best ride quality. The F10 is for an older driver who has no need for a sporty feel, just pure luxury. I did ask about VDC but was told the comfort setting is the same as SE suspension?

Sorry to go off topic by the way OP.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 09:43 AM   #41
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Yes we will be test driving a standard SE F10 with 18" wheels next weekend, as we were told it has the best ride quality. The F10 is for an older driver who has no need for a sporty feel, just pure luxury. I did ask about VDC but was told the comfort setting is the same as SE suspension?

Sorry to go off topic by the way OP.
To save going further off topic, I'll send you a PM.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 03:05 PM   #42
BLKSAPPE92
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 G80 Sao Paulo Yellow

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by acerboo View Post
ive just fitted non runflats only because I wanted 235 ans 265 and no one seems to make these in a runflat, however after watching this video I think there is a good case for keeping them. I had Pirelli runflats and don't think there was much difference in the ride. ive had 2 sets of Bridgestones and personally think they are absolute rubbish and don't understand why bmw continue to fit them.
Well all newer BMW 3 series running 19's come with Pirelli P Zero Run-flats and I know if you price them they are only about 50 dollars more a P zero tire that is non run-flat. That also goes for Bridgestone and Michelin every tire they make in a run-flat they make the same model in a Non run-flat for about 50 dollars cheaper. everyone that don't like run flats on here always seems to price compare to a cheaper sub standard brand and model so say non run flats are cheaper. Not to mention tires always ride harsh when they start getting between 50 and 25% life and when you start getting to the 2/32 you are gonna feel pulling, road noise and the rubber closer to the belts is less forgiving so they will be a rough ride happened every time with my Audi always thought I needed new suspension parts towards end of life with Michelin, Yokohama, and Goodyear till i put a new set of quality tires on it.

My 09 3 series had 19's and I believe they were fitted with original 08 so 2nd generation Bridgestone re050a run-flats on front that still had tread to pass BMW cpo the rears were new I drove to northern Michigan and back on them and to be honest they were rough but I imagine it was the gen 2 run-flats plus the age of the rubber they were dry and hard. Had BMW inspect them and they noticed being they were 3 yrs old there were very tiny almost unnoticeable dry rotting between the tread patches so they replaced them with 3rd generation run-flats which I happen to like a lot I got about 12,000 miles out of the rears 4/32 left (lots of spirited driving BMW had to change my oil twice under CBS in that 12K)and have much more on the front and I think I will go with P zero run-flats after this but I'm a big believer you have to check your tire pressure weekly and you can't under inflate a run flat tire i keep mine at 36.5 to 37 and 41.5 to 42 all the time using my trunk compressor anything less is gonna cause uneven and heavy sidewall wear

This explains how far bridgstone run-flats have came since 2nd gen to 3rd gen tires.
http://www.bridgestone.com/sc/runfla...ogy/index.html
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 04:44 PM   #43
verysideways
Lateral grip estimator
Rep
Drives: i4, M2

Garage List
Quote:
Well all newer BMW 3 series running 19's come with Pirelli P Zero Run-flats and I know if you price them they are only about 50 dollars more a P zero tire that is non run-flat. That also goes for Bridgestone and Michelin every tire they make in a run-flat they make the same model in a Non run-flat for about 50 dollars cheaper. everyone that don't like run flats on here always seems to price compare to a cheaper sub standard brand and model so say non run flats are cheaper.
May be the case in the good ol' US of A but not in the UK and i suspect not in the rest of Europe either.

As an example i recently purchased a new set of Goodyear Eagle Asymmetric 2 in a 225/40R18 size, arguably one of the best performance tyres on the market at the moment in Europe, and certainly better than anything that's come from Bridgestone in recent years.
These were £103 each in non-runflat, and £187 each for runflats of the same tyre. Almost twice the price!

People may get more miles from a runflat, but that can only come from a harder compound which means less grip, that's got nothing to do with whether the tyre is a runflat or not.
The stock Bridgestone RE050A runflats that so many of us in Europe got on our E9x M Sport cars last for miles and miles, but the grip in the dry is poor and in the wet is abysmal - due primarily to the hardness of the compound.

Sorry but i'd rather have grippy tyres, even if i have to replace them a little more often (and given the price difference they still work out more cost effective in the long run!).
'02 Morgan Aero 8
http://petrolhead.tours
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 04:48 PM   #44
insane79
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 lci

Quote:
Well all newer BMW 3 series running 19's come with Pirelli P Zero Run-flats and I know if you price them they are only about 50 dollars more a P zero tire that is non run-flat. That also goes for Bridgestone and Michelin every tire they make in a run-flat they make the same model in a Non run-flat for about 50 dollars cheaper. everyone that don't like run flats on here always seems to price compare to a cheaper sub standard brand and model so say non run flats are cheaper. Not to mention tires always ride harsh when they start getting between 50 and 25% life and when you start getting to the 2/32 you are gonna feel pulling, road noise and the rubber closer to the belts is less forgiving so they will be a rough ride happened every time with my Audi always thought I needed new suspension parts towards end of life with Michelin, Yokohama, and Goodyear till i put a new set of quality tires on it.

My 09 3 series had 19's and I believe they were fitted with original 08 so 2nd generation Bridgestone re050a run-flats on front that still had tread to pass BMW cpo the rears were new I drove to northern Michigan and back on them and to be honest they were rough but I imagine it was the gen 2 run-flats plus the age of the rubber they were dry and hard. Had BMW inspect them and they noticed being they were 3 yrs old there were very tiny almost unnoticeable dry rotting between the tread patches so they replaced them with 3rd generation run-flats which I happen to like a lot I got about 12,000 miles out of the rears 4/32 left (lots of spirited driving BMW had to change my oil twice under CBS in that 12K)and have much more on the front and I think I will go with P zero run-flats after this but I'm a big believer you have to check your tire pressure weekly and you can't under inflate a run flat tire i keep mine at 36.5 to 37 and 41.5 to 42 all the time using my trunk compressor anything less is gonna cause uneven and heavy sidewall wear

This explains how far bridgstone run-flats have came since 2nd gen to 3rd gen tires.
http://www.bridgestone.com/sc/runfla...ogy/index.html
Nice info, tell me one thing, you will never buy any of the "M" cars cause they don't come with rfts? why do all the "M" cars come with tubeless
Think again..
Appreciate 0