E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Review - Vishnu/FFTEC Single Turbo - 6AT 58mm

07-05-2012, 06:55 PM   #1
cupertinosteve
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Review - Vishnu/FFTEC Single Turbo - 6AT 58mm

While we all wait in anticipation for FBIS' Single Turbo Review, I thought I would offer my thoughts on my Single Turbo experience.

Background Info:
- I've been a 335 owner for about 2 and half years
- Driven 30+ HPDEs in heavily modified EVOs and Subies
- Currently alternating between 2 different e90 335s (2007 – FBO+meth+M3_suspension, 2008 – Single Turbo)
- Driven an FBO+Meth car for about 2 years
- Fastest 1/4 mile – 11.538@118.673mph (http://www.dragtimes.com/BMW-335i-Timeslip-23492.html) - with FBO+meth car
- 600+ miles driven on the Single Turbo (2 full tanks of 91 octane)

Car Details (Single Turbo)
- 2008 E90 335 6AT (27000+ miles)
- Vishnu/FFTEC Single Turbo Kit (58mm/Ceramic/BB turbo, 3.5bar, Y-downpipe, Recirc. Wastegate)
- Vishnu Procede Rev.3
- Vishnu PWM Meth Kit (1 gallon trunk mounted)
- Helix Stepped Intercooler
- Forge Diverter Valves
- AE Catless Exhaust
- 235x40x18" Hankook Front Tires
- 275x45x17" MT ET Rear Tires (Kosei K-1)
- (stock) BMW Sport Suspension

Overall Experience - I've been driving this car around for the past 2 weeks and I absolutely love it. I'm glad I waited a while before writing anything to let the "overwhelming shock" wear off a bit. The car is absolute joy to drive. I literally can't wait to go to work, so I can drive the car. I've woken up at 3am in the morning dreaming of the car, then go take the car out for a spin (its only happen once, wife says I have a problem). The car sounds so differently now, it the combination of the subtle whine of the turbo when just puttering around the neighborhood, to the sexy siren scream when you're opening up on the highway.

Acceleration – This is the real reason why I got a Single Turbo, hammering on the highway, merging with a vengeance. I'll be honest, after getting the keys the first time and taking it on the freeway, I was a little scared. I felt that car was "stupid fast", "stupid" meaning that there is no good reason to have this much power so quickly on tap. I've had 500+ HP EVOs and Subies in the past, this is just in a different beast. Coming from an FBO+meth car and having driven an ASR+FBO+meth car, there is that mid-ranged punch that really makes you catch your breath … but by 5000-ish RPM you can feel the taper and falloff in power, you can catch your breath. This is NOT the case with the Single Turbo, that mid-range rush you get goes all the way to redline, there is NO place to catch your breath and then you upshift into the next gear and do the same thing again. After two weeks, I'm starting to get use to this sensation, but I'm finding myself in triple-digit land more often than I should be in public. I honestly can't imagine driving a 6MT with 1000 more RPM and another 100WHP in that range.

Throttle Response – DS cruise can usually sits around 2600 RPM and if you romp on it, you'll have full boost in a few hundred RPM, there is a fraction of a second to load up and then you're off – it doesn't feel that much slower responding than FBO. When I'm in Manual mode, I find that keeping the car at 2900 RPM (just a hair under the 3K marker), its ready to pounce whenever you need it. You can hear the turbo spooling when you're not building any boost, I found the sound "comforting", telling me "I'm ready, when you're ready".

Performance - I haven't had time to get back to the track — so sorry no numbers. I can tell you that I'm building a lot more boost while brake boosting than I did with my FBO. My FBO setup could build 5-7 PSI, while the Single Turbo could build at least 10PSI. I'm tot sure if it can build any more boost, I gave up trying since its more than enough to melt an M2 launch on 275x45x17 MT ET tires.

Daily Drivability – The car is an absolute joy to drive. While in commuter traffic, its just like sitting in traffic with a stock car. In my previous heavily modified / high_HP cars, it wasn't the case … there was rough idling, idle drone, gutlessness acceleration at idle speeds. I don't feel there was any sacrifice in this area.

Gas Milage - just cruising around back and forth to work, it didn't seem that different than a stock 335. I took a 1/4 tank cruise on the highway and was able to get 28.7 MPG. If you're constantly beating on the car, it'll gas, but not that different than my FBO+meth car and not nearly as bad as my Evo at Thunderhill – 4 MPG. I think the reason why the milage isn't so different than FBO+meth is that I was picking up speed so quickly, I was off the accelerator sooner than before.

Meth Usage – With my 4 meth nozzles (2 in each intercooler end-tanks) I used 3/4 gallon over 2 full tanks of gas. That's with a bunch of sustained 2-3-4 gear runs. I thought I would not be able to get a tank of gas for each tank of meth, so its not nearly as thirsty as I thought it would be. I'm may consider putting that 5 gallon baffled setup, but I really like having all that empty trunk space. And worst case scenario when you run out – just go to Map 1 and just have 500WHP on 91 octane. I'm not going to cry about that possibility.

Engine Temps – I noticed that the engine temps are running about 10-15 degrees cooler than my FBO setup. Now there is probably some car-to-car variance here, but I think there is something else going on here … possibly less back-pressure, who knows, I just noticed there was a noticeable difference here.

Comments on some of the "other" comments:
- "You need serious suspension upgrade" - I think its critical if you're tracking your car, but if you're just on the street, it won't really help you that much due to lack of grip due to surface conditions.
- "You need a LSD" - yes you "should" get this, if you're serious enough for a single turbo, you're going to want to be able to use some of its power in M2 mode.
- "Its laggy" - nope not really an issue. I'll concede that it may be 200-300 rpm "laggier", but then you really you quickly blow threw range and on to more power.
- "Its not much more powerful than FBO or RB/ASR upgrade" - I've gotten to drive an ASR turbo car and its a nice improvement to an FBO setup, but I would say that its not really comparable. Where the key difference is not only at peak power, but where it makes the power. After that initial midranges punch, there is a tapering in power after 5000 rpm … the single turbo does not have that taper. That punch lasts all the way to redline.
"The transmission is going to melt …" - I feel that things tend to brake at launch vs. in the middle or top of a gear. That being said, staying in M2 and giving a progressive torque curve vs. the FBO torque spike may be better for the transmission long term. I guess time will tell, but I haven't notice any slip at launch or at shift.
- Any other comments you want me to comment on? I'll be as honest as I can.

Conclusion:
- I really can't say enough about the sound of the this turbo kit. Its absolutely intoxicating.
- It took me a little time to get used to the discharge sound, my current Forge DVs are dumping to open air. In the FBO setup, its plumbed back into the intake, so it was really quiet. Its not like those vent-to-atmosphere BOVs on some annoying import, it sounds nice.
- I don't really drive like a dyno, no matter what I think … I can't quite find a way to describe orquantify it, but the car feels better than the dyno plot would indicate.

When I get a chance, I'll try and post the following:
- video (tach, speedo and boost) of a romp on 2nd gear, 2-3 shift, up to the top of 3rd
- video/audio – inside the cabin of the turbo sounds

Let me know if you have any questions or requests.

(not responsible for any typos or grammar)

(Edited)

A great big thanks goes out to Shiv and the FFTEC guys. It was one my best experiences i've had modifying at the bleeding edge. Thanks for the great communication and advice ... and patience at all my questions and last minute changes.

For those who are considering a single turbo upgrade - please consider going to FFTEC or shipping your car out there. Its not that expensive and you'll know you'll be taken care of.

Last edited by cupertinosteve; 07-05-2012 at 10:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 07:03 PM   #2
guru_method
Eating M3s for breakfast
No_Country
Rep
Drives: AW 09 135i M

Sounds good! Enjoy it!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 07:04 PM   #3
nafoo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Boosted Bimmer

Request: Take it to a drag strip! I want to see low 10s
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 07:07 PM   #4
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Good write-up

Neil
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 07:09 PM   #5
MikeB@fftec
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 Evo 8

Great review Steve! It sounds like you're having a good time out there.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 07:14 PM   #6
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five

Garage List
2007 BMW  [7.00]
Sick write up, im sure the kits was worth every penny.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 07:15 PM   #7
Elliott@DetailAddict
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Were you by any chance Stevo8 on the Evo forums?
And great write up
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 07:18 PM   #8
cupertinosteve
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

mikeb@fftec - Thanks. I'm sorry, I forgot to mention the amazing service I got from you and the other guys. Thank you for making this such a great experience ... i'll update my post.

@grant@detailaddict - nope, that wasn't me. I was "cupertinosteve" at those forums too.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 07:19 PM   #9
Elliott@DetailAddict
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

oh ok. I was CasperIXSE on norcal and caspersytfu on Empire.
Glad to see you have a new crazy beast.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 07:30 PM   #10
F80M
Major
Rep
Drives: M Fap

Great review. One request please? Can I drive your car?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 07:52 PM   #11
onesuperboi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 335i COBB 4.01 Stage 1

"When I'm in M mode, I find that keeping the car at 2900 RPM (just a hair under the 3K marker), its ready to pounce whenever you need it."

What do you mean M mode? In a 335i?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 07:52 PM   #12
cskelly
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesuperboi View Post
"When I'm in M mode, I find that keeping the car at 2900 RPM (just a hair under the 3K marker), its ready to pounce whenever you need it."

I would assume he means manual mode.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 07:55 PM   #13
turugara
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe, 6 Speed

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [9.44]
Great write up! What I would do for a ride in that car.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 08:01 PM   #14
plague
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i sold :( / jb 20th AE

nice write. someone pleeeaassee post a video

Parts for sale- PWM meth kit, M steering wheel, M shift knob, perforated e brake handle
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 08:16 PM   #15
Tranic335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

Nice! Must be one crazy ride.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 08:39 PM   #16
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

very nice review, having a turbo that is capable of the cfm your requesting really makes a world of difference.

I laugh at the lag comments but then i realize on an auto its more of an issue as you are not always in control. Glad to hear the gearing is fitting to this singles onset of boost.
      07-05-2012, 08:45 PM   #17
onesuperboi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 335i COBB 4.01 Stage 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cskelly View Post
I would assume he means manual mode.
"DS cruise can usually sits around 2600 RPM and if you romp on it, you'll have full boost in a few hundred RPM, there is a fraction of a second to load up and then you're off – it doesn't feel that much slower responding than FBO. When I'm in M mode, I find that keeping the car at 2900 RPM (just a hair under the 3K marker), its ready to pounce whenever you need it."

I know D mode is regular, and DS is the sport mode. D mode I am below 2K most of the time, and with DS I'm in the 2500 RPM range.

Just want to know if there is something that I'm missing like a PROcede feature. IIRC, I read somewhere that Shiv was able to rev the auto tran 7900 RPM.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 08:54 PM   #18
son_of_siggy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: CTS-V

Don't think you're missing anything. There is D, DS, and M, where you tap the paddles or shifter. Not sure what you think you are missing.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 09:03 PM   #19
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by son_of_siggy View Post
Don't think you're missing anything. There is D, DS, and M, where you tap the paddles or shifter. Not sure what you think you are missing.
+1

In this case, M mode stands for manual mode.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 09:13 PM   #20
venom3469
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 AW/R 6MT 335i, YZF-R6.

Nice write up, I cant wait to see some videos of this beast!
      07-05-2012, 10:33 PM   #21
cupertinosteve
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesuperboi View Post

yeah, I meant "manual" mode ... i corrected my initial post.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 10:38 PM   #22
cupertinosteve
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
very nice review, having a turbo that is capable of the cfm your requesting really makes a world of difference.

I laugh at the lag comments but then i realize on an auto its more of an issue as you are not always in control. Glad to hear the gearing is fitting to this singles onset of boost.
Thanks Sniz.

I think most folks forget that 1 PSI of pressure is not the same between different turbo types.

I would highly recommend those with a 6AT to go with a 58mm setup ... I don't think there is any difference in peak power (since we don't have the revs) and you get even better boost response. I should be able to confirm this after SIKH335 and I trade cars for a little bit.
Appreciate 0