E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Any reason to believe JB+ @ 100% is unsafe for turbos in long term?

04-21-2009, 07:19 AM   #1
Neon01
BMW Nut
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 X5 35i

Garage List
Any reason to believe JB+ @ 100% is unsafe for turbos in long term?

Also, how would it compare (as far as engine/turbo safety is concerned) to a JB3 map 6? Assume 93 octane gasoline.

My thinking is perhaps it's not as safe as the JB3 since it can't affect anything but the TMAP. What are your thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 07:48 AM   #2
PKumarM3
Air India
India
Rep
Drives: 2018 Dodge Durango

considering the minimal amount of boost increased on the default setting, the motor should be able to handle it.

i just read the N54 Motor sticky and am considering removing it as bmw believes they have optimized the amount of boost already, but sometimes car companies are a bit conservative.

at the same accord, I think maximizing the boost, might be safe for some people, it is essentially putting a lot of stress on the turbos and motor - which can eventually leads to failure.

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 08:13 AM   #3
Scimitar335i
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

The beauty of these tunes the JB+, JB3, and Procede is that you can turn down the boost on the JB+ to stock settings (cranking the dial all the way to zero, or cranking it up when you stick in 100 octane) or changing out to stock maps on the JB3 and Procedes with ease..

You dont have to run on high boost all the time.. for your daily drives pick a stock map or run the jb+ all the way down or crank up the boost or pick a more aggressive map if you want to be a weekend warrior.

I have a JB+ and I have already mastered opening it up while it is still connected (car asleep of course) and turning it whichever way I want. I carry 2 little screwdrivers in the car at all times now...
      04-21-2009, 08:32 AM   #4
Neon01
BMW Nut
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I appreciate the replies, but what I'm interested in is really the longevity the JB+ will provide when left at 100% setting as compared to the JB3 on map 6.

I'm on the fence about the whole thing and I've driven/ridden in another 335i with JB+ at 75% which I didn't feel was that much of a bump in power, especially down low. I've never experienced a JB3 car. If I were to end up going with a JB+, I think I'd need to set it to 100% to really get what I'm looking for out of it. My thinking is that if the JB+ bumps boost by 5 psi (@100%) without altering timing or anything else, and the JB3 bumps it by 6-7 psi and CAN affect other parameters, maybe it's safer, despite pushing more boost? This is really the question I'm trying to answer.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 08:35 AM   #5
edo
Mexico
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

As far as I understand, boost level depends on the throttle. Max boost is reached only form certain rpm and WOT. Driving normally shouldn't result in max boost all the time. And when you need the power, you just floor it and it's there. That's why I don't bother and drive with 90% (Procede RevII) all the time.

Plus, if you have an aftermarket FMIC, less boost is required to reach the same power. DPs also reduce stress on turbos.

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 08:44 AM   #6
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKumarM3 View Post
considering the minimal amount of boost increased on the default setting, the motor should be able to handle it.

i just read the N54 Motor sticky and am considering removing it as bmw believes they have optimized the amount of boost already, but sometimes car companies are a bit conservative.

at the same accord, I think maximizing the boost, might be safe for some people, it is essentially putting a lot of stress on the turbos and motor - which can eventually leads to failure.
I've got some ocean front property I can sell you cheap....interested?

kidding, they are very conservative on this engine it seems.

Last edited by Sniz; 04-21-2009 at 09:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 09:10 AM   #7
TurboBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

I run the JB+ at 75%, until I have an upgraded intercooler installed, which will take away a bit of load from the turbos. Then 100% should be safe (I'm no technician tough).

But from what I've read, these moderately increased boost levels are used by the ECU if the car runs in higher elevation areas, to compensate for the less denser air.

Therefore I think it should still be within the safety margins.
Performance Seats, Exhaust, Splitters, Pedals, Steering Wheel / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / Forge FMIC / Quaife LSD / Öhlins Road & Track / M3 Suspension Parts / Solid Subframe Bushings / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Racing Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR DPs / Alpina TCU / COBB Pro-Tune
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 10:09 AM   #8
RambleJ
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-sport

Isn't there a new 7 series coming out that uses the same N54 engine and is spec'd @ 326 hp? And BMW is coming out with a performance flash to up the power, granted the power increase is minimal it still shows that even BMW knows the engine can handle more..

As for your question comparing the JB3 along with the JB+, either way you look at it you are increasing the boost the turbos are going to fail sooner that if left stock, obviously. The JB3 has the capability to alter numerous additional signals that the JB+ cannot, so i would assume the JB3 would be considered safer for the engine as a whole.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 11:15 AM   #9
thegeneral101
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 Z06,'13 750Li,'11 Raptor

Jb+ is pretty conservative but with that said anything over stock levels will lead to more wear and tear...thats how stuff works. its probably minimal but either way its there
      04-21-2009, 11:26 AM   #10
Zeph
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i 6MT SGM CR/BD

Honestly I prefer to use a SSTT because it is my understanding it basically tricks the ECU into running it's maximum boost "stock tune" to make up for crappy high altitude air. To me this should still be really safe since it is still technically a "stock tune" and the ECU is controlling everything. I would assume the JB+ works in a similar way. Having said that, higher boost = more turbo stress = shorter lifespan. Running 12psi (compared to stock 8.5) means the turbos are putting out 13.5 psi (10 psi stock) on the stock FMIC and I don't think that is enough to make much of a difference. If you get the boost outside of the stock turbo's "efficiency range" then you really start spooling the shit out of them to achieve those high boost targets and now your wear/tear will exponentially increase. According to Dinan I believe they stopped at 14.5 maximum psi (16psi at the turbos) to stay within efficiency range... but who really knows?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 11:31 AM   #11
Zeph
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i 6MT SGM CR/BD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RambleJ View Post
Isn't there a new 7 series coming out that uses the same N54 engine and is spec'd @ 326 hp? And BMW is coming out with a performance flash to up the power, granted the power increase is minimal it still shows that even BMW knows the engine can handle more..
I think honestly this engine can handle more boost that the stock turbos can achieve. Run the turbo melter until the turbos melt, the engine won't care. Well, unless you send metal pieces flying into the engine from the shredded turbos

I can only assume this "BMW performance flash" will be SSTT performance at a Dinan price... which really isn't too bad considering you really do keep your BMW warranty, CPO, etc. and SSTT performance pretty nice
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 11:51 AM   #12
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon01 View Post
Also, how would it compare (as far as engine/turbo safety is concerned) to a JB3 map 6? Assume 93 octane gasoline.

My thinking is perhaps it's not as safe as the JB3 since it can't affect anything but the TMAP. What are your thoughts?
The JB+ boost levels are pretty mild compared to what most push around here for the past two years, and rarely do you hear of any failures.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 11:54 AM   #13
dlbrooks18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

If this is your concern, I would recommend just leaving your car stock. Any tune, even Dinan, has risks. So therefore no tune is 100% safe. If you are that worried about the longevity of turbo's you shouldn't be modifying your car at all IMO. Every car is different, and everyone drives differently so there are NO guarantees, just like in life... that being said, BMS makes great products and I think Terry is the best tuner in the biz. my 2 cents
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 01:26 PM   #14
vegasspeed
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i 6MT coupe Montego Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbrooks18 View Post
If this is your concern, I would recommend just leaving your car stock. Any tune, even Dinan, has risks. So therefore no tune is 100% safe. If you are that worried about the longevity of turbo's you shouldn't be modifying your car at all IMO. Every car is different, and everyone drives differently so there are NO guarantees, just like in life... that being said, BMS makes great products and I think Terry is the best tuner in the biz. my 2 cents

This is tuning in a nutshell. I can't see turning up the boost being good for your car or else it would have been designed that way in the factory. Why do you think Dinan is the only company to offer a matching warranty for the 4 years? If it didn't do anything to your car than everyone would throw on a warranty. In addition to that, the car has other malfuntions/failures that have nothing to do with tunes but the BMWNA guys will use it as a scapegoat to not have to pay for parts and fixing the car.
      04-21-2009, 01:33 PM   #15
Neon01
BMW Nut
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I certainly understand that ANY increase in boost pressure levels are going to be roughly inversely proportional to turbo life span. I'm not overly concerned about that.

What I'm trying to determine is whether the JB+ at 100% setting will be harder on the turbos/engine vs. the JB3 on map 6. Even if the JB3 increases boost 6.5 psi over stock (not saying this is what it is), it seems to me there is a possibility that it could be safer overall for the N54 engine and turbos than a JB+ set at 100% boost, even though this is only increasing pressure by ~5 psi. I saw this because perhaps the full piggyback JB3 is correcting for other factors that compensate for the additional boost (like timing or fuel trim) that a simple boost controller like the JB+ cannot.

I really want someone more knowledgeable than me to simply confirm or refute this statement, and provide the reason why this is the case.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 01:33 PM   #16
akira42
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i 6MT, Custom Flash

Impressive. I've almost drop the little bugger to many times to try that. I tether the JB+ now out of fear...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scimitar335i View Post
The beauty of these tunes the JB+, JB3, and Procede is that you can turn down the boost on the JB+ to stock settings (cranking the dial all the way to zero, or cranking it up when you stick in 100 octane) or changing out to stock maps on the JB3 and Procedes with ease..

You dont have to run on high boost all the time.. for your daily drives pick a stock map or run the jb+ all the way down or crank up the boost or pick a more aggressive map if you want to be a weekend warrior.

I have a JB+ and I have already mastered opening it up while it is still connected (car asleep of course) and turning it whichever way I want. I carry 2 little screwdrivers in the car at all times now...
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 03:40 PM   #17
vegasspeed
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i 6MT coupe Montego Blue

I don't own a juicebox but if a tune only controls boost and not other features like cooling & air fuel mixtures than it is bad for the engine.
      04-21-2009, 04:00 PM   #18
jcarlucci1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 335i

Great advice And you're basing this on what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasspeed View Post
I don't own a juicebox but if a tune only controls boost and not other features like cooling & air fuel mixtures than it is bad for the engine.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 04:01 PM   #19
dlbrooks18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon01 View Post
I certainly understand that ANY increase in boost pressure levels are going to be roughly inversely proportional to turbo life span. I'm not overly concerned about that.

What I'm trying to determine is whether the JB+ at 100% setting will be harder on the turbos/engine vs. the JB3 on map 6. Even if the JB3 increases boost 6.5 psi over stock (not saying this is what it is), it seems to me there is a possibility that it could be safer overall for the N54 engine and turbos than a JB+ set at 100% boost, even though this is only increasing pressure by ~5 psi. I saw this because perhaps the full piggyback JB3 is correcting for other factors that compensate for the additional boost (like timing or fuel trim) that a simple boost controller like the JB+ cannot.

I really want someone more knowledgeable than me to simply confirm or refute this statement, and provide the reason why this is the case.
Sorry, I misread your post. I thought you were asking if the JB+ is a 100% safe. The JB+ is a rather mild tune even when cranked all the way up, I wouldn't worry about it. To ease your concern, do some additional mods like a FMIC to keep temps down and maybe downpipes to free up back pressure on the turbo's. Post a review after you get it! Thanks.
Appreciate 0