E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > My time with an s5 and should i take the offer?

04-04-2014, 03:08 PM   #1
oliver51090
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3 Carbon

My time with an s5 and should i take the offer?

Hey guys, so the other day I was fortunate enough to drive for a very long period an 08 Audi S5.

A little back story lol, I used to be a strong audi lover. My family and partner is (she is because of me lol). But since I have been driving I've fallen in love with BMW's. I used to despise them found them too bland. Now I've come to appreciate them on a whole new level. So much so that i prefer them over Audi.

Anyway the other day I was driving around and saw an S5. Wanted to have another go in an A5 as I was considering that before I got my current car lol. Anyway some positives. It still looks phenomenal in my eyes and love the subtle touches to the s range of cars. The engine. My lord its a beauty the sound is amazing and when you rev that v8 the whole car shakes. Felt like dom from fast and furious. Also the car is a joy to drive ... In a straight line. It is crazy fast.

The negatives. If your not moving like a rocket the car is very bland. Suspension is nice and its smooth and as always the s tronic gearbox is a beaut. But its so boring you take a turn and there is no thrill. Its all safe and a numb disconnected experience. Another bad point is the inside. Never thought id say this but its just too much. Its over the top. Too many buttons to confusing. Whilst your driving there are too many switches and toggles to get things done quickly. After a long time i guess you could get used to it but still i actually prefer the simplicity of the beemers. Finally all that isnt too bad its minor niggles the worst part is the steering wheel and feedback. Felt no different to a kia cee'd that i had the joy of owning for a couple weeks (great little car (63 plate)). The steering is so numb and too light that when i tried to thrash it round the corner at one point i overcooked the steering. The car turned in good though.

Anyway the garage has someone who desperately wants my car and they are willing to swap plus a couple grand for the S5. I dont know what to do. Although deep down i love my car and prefer it in everyway. Even speed. I wouldnt thrash the S5 like that day to day. But part of me is saying do it live with it for a bit lol. I probably won't. But to anyone who is contemplating an S5 i will say the e92 handles vastly better.

If i dont go through with this i guess its back to the drawing board. The S5 was going to be my next car next year ... Apparently the refresh model is loads different. Id have to find out. But now i think thats chalked off the list and the list of cars are a 435i, Cayman S or a e92 m3 or e46 m3. Or maybe a e400 coupe if i land the graduate job im looking at!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 03:16 PM   #2
Ajs_435d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 435d m sport m performance

I think they are so-so to look at, never driven one.

Although I'm not the type to try it on against other cars, i had a go against once in my 335D mainly because he cut me up and it pissed me off but i pulled on it easily!

Probably of no use to you, just saying.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 03:44 PM   #3
oliver51090
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs_335d View Post
I think they are so-so to look at, never driven one.

Although I'm not the type to try it on against other cars, i had a go against once in my 335D mainly because he cut me up and it pissed me off but i pulled on it easily!

Probably of no use to you, just saying.
I like the look but agree it is a little played out. And the new tt makes every audi look stale lol. Its the new lights and grilles. The 335 is the direct competitor i need to drive one. I was worried about them when i got this car so i didnt even bother looking.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 03:45 PM   #4
Tak1986
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW

is the S5 with 4.2 V8 or 3.0 Supercharge?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 03:53 PM   #5
oliver51090
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak1986 View Post
is the S5 with 4.2 V8 or 3.0 Supercharge?
Lol the 4.2 V8. Great engine shame about the rest.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 03:58 PM   #6
Tak1986
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver51090 View Post
Lol the 4.2 V8. Great engine shame about the rest.
Cant beat the noise of the V8, I used to have a S4 B7 with the 4.2, I do miss the noise of it. But haven't look back since changing to the BMW.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 03:58 PM   #7
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
a std 335i is faster than an s5
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 04:20 PM   #8
oliver51090
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak1986 View Post
Cant beat the noise of the V8, I used to have a S4 B7 with the 4.2, I do miss the noise of it. But haven't look back since changing to the BMW.
Yeah the noise is something else. Put a smile on my face lol
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 04:55 PM   #9
225_AB
Major
Rep
Drives: M235i

Garage List
2014 M235i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 330D  [0.00]
I don't really understand mate. Are you saying that you want to swap because they are going to give you 2 grand? I can't understand otherwise why you want to swap because you prefer your car!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 05:23 PM   #10
oliver51090
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_ab View Post
I don't really understand mate. Are you saying that you want to swap because they are going to give you 2 grand? I can't understand otherwise why you want to swap because you prefer your car!
Id have to put down that. The only reason why is because at one point it was a dream car but the more i drive mine the more i realise its stupid. And tbh one of the salesman said the exact same thing
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 05:46 PM   #11
Lewiss
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i E92 DCT

I dreamed of an s5 for a long while before my 335i. To be honest i'd never heard of a 335i before i came to the forums, never mind knowing the 335i was a competitor for the s5. I guess i was just an audi fan due to aesthetics. After testing them both the 335i was an obvious winner for me, s5 just felt clunky and lifeless as you say, a beautiful motor but thats it.

They still look the part though, and i like how they're distinct from the a5 family, something the 335i isn't. I don't want to test drive the 6 cylinder supercharged one and end up disappointed with my 335i.

I say keep your car unless you desperately want the s5 (which by the sounds of things you don't), you clearly appreciate all car manufacturer so id hold out for your dream vehicle.

Good luck with your grad job too OP, i was in the same boat a couple month ago!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 05:40 AM   #12
Alfamale
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i E93

I had an S5 V8 before my 335i and loved it. I begrudgingly had to sell it to fund stamp duty on my new house purchase.

The intention was to buy another one straight back after the sale but I couldn't quite afford the spec I had / wanted. So bought a 335i cab auto.

I love the roofless and speed of 335i but it's got nowhere near the presence or magic of that V8. I'm seriously considering selling mine as I feel I made a mistake.

Totally agree about steering though but you can get this corrected via coding to add more weight to it.

I must also confess I had ma Miltek non res exhaust fitted to my S5 and it sounded like a Spitfire !
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 10:50 AM   #13
oliver51090
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewiss View Post
I dreamed of an s5 for a long while before my 335i. To be honest i'd never heard of a 335i before i came to the forums, never mind knowing the 335i was a competitor for the s5. I guess i was just an audi fan due to aesthetics. After testing them both the 335i was an obvious winner for me, s5 just felt clunky and lifeless as you say, a beautiful motor but thats it.

They still look the part though, and i like how they're distinct from the a5 family, something the 335i isn't. I don't want to test drive the 6 cylinder supercharged one and end up disappointed with my 335i.

I say keep your car unless you desperately want the s5 (which by the sounds of things you don't), you clearly appreciate all car manufacturer so id hold out for your dream vehicle.

Good luck with your grad job too OP, i was in the same boat a couple month ago!
Yeah im not going to go through with it. Love my car too much I know id regret it. What grad job did you land if you dont mind me asking? Also yeah i appreciate a lot of cars but can be snobbish. What i really want now is a project car like an s13. Something i can build up and learn more about engines and take to the track. My friend has one and everytime im in it i get a smile from ear to ear!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 10:52 AM   #14
oliver51090
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i_cab View Post
I had an S5 V8 before my 335i and loved it. I begrudgingly had to sell it to fund stamp duty on my new house purchase.

The intention was to buy another one straight back after the sale but I couldn't quite afford the spec I had / wanted. So bought a 335i cab auto.

I love the roofless and speed of 335i but it's got nowhere near the presence or magic of that V8. I'm seriously considering selling mine as I feel I made a mistake.

Totally agree about steering though but you can get this corrected via coding to add more weight to it.

I must also confess I had ma Miltek non res exhaust fitted to my S5 and it sounded like a Spitfire !
Does the coding make a dramatic difference? This is news to me i may go off researching lol. And yeah i bet that sounded phenomenal. Stock it sounds like a monster ready to shred you limb from limb.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 04:08 PM   #15
Alfamale
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i E93

With the VagCOM/VCDS cable you can adjust the settings for the steering weight to make it heavier.

There was also Audi Drive Select which was a great feature to enable which allows you to sharpen throttle response and steering response.
Appreciate 0