E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Refinish a Carbon Intake

04-03-2014, 03:57 AM   #1
Jat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91 330i M Sport

Refinish a Carbon Intake

HI All,

I have a Simota carbon air intake on the car, and given the age and heat (i presume) the lacquer on the carbon has started to crack in places. What options do I have to remedy this?

Is there a way to remove all the old lacquer and apply new coats of it, or would it be advisable to rub it all down and just apply new coats of it? The issue is that the cracks may well just come through the new lacquer.

Would wrapping it again in another carbon layer be an option (I think 3M do a kit where you get the sheet, cut and fit it, and then apply coats of resin/clear coat/lacquer)?

It should look like this:

but the section at the front (intake from the kidneys) has some cracking on it round the edges (worse underneath if you lift it out).

Any advice?

My Journal Thread : CLICK HERE
Appreciate 0