E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > All COBB Tuning AccessPORT Flash for N54 335i Discussion Here

01-06-2011, 11:58 AM   #133
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Cobb, any idea on New England tuners who will be tuning with your technology?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 12:20 PM   #134
Clap135
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 N54

He is comparing that to other results. The 335 made a lot more power. On other tunes there really is no difference in power btwn the 1 and 3. Lol BTW 350 eta is not going to pull like a mother lol. 470 might...ask me how I know lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Addict View Post
It's still over 60tq added (20% increase, for just plugging something in). Plus, look at that big fat curve. The power was added all the way across the RPM band.

That's going to pull like a motherf*cker. Torque is what moves your car, and I think scoffing at 350torque to the wheels is pretty silly. It's like strapping a rocket onto a miata.

Plus, as more 1 series are tuned, expect more optimization to be issued on future maps. This is just the first crack.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 12:25 PM   #135
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clap135 View Post
He is comparing that to other results. The 335 made a lot more power. On other tunes there really is no difference in power btwn the 1 and 3. Lol BTW 350 eta is not going to pull like a mother lol. 470 might...ask me how I know lol.
I know what he was comparing to. I read the post.

And a 20% increase in torque for just a flash really isn't anything to scoff at, particularly given that it appears so likely there will be even more substantial gains coming, even on top of the 335i numbers.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 12:28 PM   #136
Clap135
Brigadier General
Rep

Actually it is. But we just have different opinions on this. Mine is coming from using 3 different tunes on my car.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 12:29 PM   #137
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Addict
Additionally, people who custom tune are able toshare their maps with other people with similar mods (obviously at the borrower's own risk - as it isn't a blessed Cobb off-the-shelf tune). After not too long, there will be a map for tons of combinations based on lots of peoples unique circumstances and specific mod/tune combos.
LMAO ! This is starting to look like how people use custom ROMs on phones that are open source

Dang I can see people selling their maps, this is going to get crazy.

Cobb Team - Is there a way on the AP or on the PC software to secure key a map so it can only be used on one car ?

Here is my logic, if I spend $$$$ to fine tune my car, and someone else has my same exact setup, I am not just going to give that away for free and I would want to have some sort of control over it with VIN encryption so it can only be flashed on that specific vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 12:32 PM   #138
Clap135
Brigadier General
Rep

Many protuners lock the tune...no issue there. However once atr is out...your custom 500 dollar dyno session won't be worth anything anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuraQ View Post
LMAO ! This is starting to look like how people use custom ROMs on phones that are open source

Cobb Team - Is there a way on the AP or on the PC software to secure key a map so it can only be used on one car ?

Here is my logic, if I spend $$$$ to fine tune my car, and someone else has my same exact setup, I am not just going to give that away for free and I would want to have some sort of control over it with VIN encryption so it can only be flashed on that specific vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 12:34 PM   #139
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:

Just don't share your map. Why encrypt it?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 12:45 PM   #140
Nedim
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

I wonder what shiv and terry are thinking about this...hahaha
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 12:52 PM   #141
Imperator
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i

...and in the meantime, COBB's experience with ATR and their canned maps on customers' cars will be available to all AccessPORT owners on their website. For those using custom tunes, I think we can all get along well enough to share knowledge, at least for those who know what they're doing.

Coming from the GM LSx-based community, it's funny to see how some on here freak out about some of the least-significant details, especially considering that just about nobody is using exotic hardware on these cars yet.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 12:54 PM   #142
**335i**
Colonel
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: TOYOTA & 2008 E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2008 335i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedim View Post
dont make it OT
what they should think? they do their job as always not big deal
E92 335i Black Saphire 6MT PROcede V5, BMS DCI, Big Tom IC, AR CL-DP's 3", AR Design OC, Forge DV's, OEM M3 side skirts, BMW Performance Wheels 19 inch 269 Black Gloss+Continental ContiSportContact 5P (400hp and 550nm) https://www.youtube.com/user/aistis7..._as=subscriber
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 12:59 PM   #143
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Many protuners lock the tune...no issue there. However once atr is out...your custom 500 dollar dyno session won't be worth anything anyway.
ATR ? Are you talking about Cobb's Access Tunner Race ? So in actuallity how this would work, if I am understanding correctly, for the end user is if I decide to go up on the boost it will autmatically calibrate and adjust the other performance related perimeters ? Like fuel, water pump, etc ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Addict
Just don't share your map. Why encrypt it?
Hehe, do you know how difficult that would be knowing how things go around here ? Clap135 pretty much defused that idea anyways, thats if Cobb released a ATR for our cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 01:04 PM   #144
COBB Tuning
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

*** Update ***

We found an issue in the calibration that was used on the 135i that prevented the power gains that everyone was expecting. The calibration has been updated and the 135i will be back on the dyno this afternoon. We should have a dyno graph with power gains that are more in line with what we are seeing on the 335i posted later today.

Thanks!

Gary
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 01:05 PM   #145
Clap135
Brigadier General
Rep

I am not understanding your question. Atr is not an autotune and requires more knowledge then the piggybacks we have. Probably didn't answer your question but I'm not sure what it was to begin with. Also keep in mind that with atr Cobb decides what values they let you play with via software. The protuners software is different...however similar results can be achieved with both...one is just a simpler version of the other.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 01:10 PM   #146
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am not understanding your question. Atr is not an autotune and requires more knowledge then the piggybacks we have. Probably didn't answer your question but I'm not sure what it was to begin with. Also keep in mind that with atr Cobb decides what values they let you play with via software. The protuners software is different...however similar results can be achieved with both...one is just a simpler version of the other.
Ok, so in other words since I am not acquainted with it I might as well stick with a protuner until I know what the heck I am doing.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 01:13 PM   #147
Dannydeleted
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Subaru STi

Quote:
Ok, so in other words since I am not acquainted with it I might as well stick with a protuner until I know what the heck I am doing.
True. Although we try to assist users who purchase AccessTuner RACE as much as we can, previous tuning knowledge is highly recommended for those thinking about further refining their maps for more power.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 01:13 PM   #148
atlharry
Second Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Coupe

Quote:
Quote:
Ok, so in other words since I am not acquainted with it I might as well stick with a protuner to do this then until I know what the heck I am doing ?
YES! I'm glad the ATR is limited... I was envisioning a lot more blown engine threads... so, after learning that a leaner AFR means more power, I...
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 01:13 PM   #149
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

ATR> Autotune Piggy>Off the shelf maps> SRt-4> $500 pro tunes.

/discussion
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 01:21 PM   #150
Clap135
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSlick View Post
ATR> Autotune Piggy>Off the shelf maps> SRt-4> $500 pro tunes.

/discussion
Pretty much. Lol it really depends on what people want. Btwn u and me and route 287 I'm sure we can dial in any n54 set up using atr.

BTW for the record....this is an official threat. Atr better be free lime for other platforms lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 01:51 PM   #151
bigdaddycane
I even mod my cereal
Rep
Drives: 11 ZCP DCT M3 14 328d 21 GT4

Garage List
Quote:
What seems to end up happening is Cobb issues a series of standard maps that tie to typical mod paths, off the shelf, and they regularly (at least in the beginning) update them and optimize them, safely getting more power as they advance their database of tuned cars and experience. I think we're looking at a very conservative run and tune on these first pass base maps. The stage 1 maps will eventually become better and better (and if you own an AP, you'll be able to download them and update as they are releaseD).

Additionally, people who custom tune are able toshare their maps with other people with similar mods (obviously at the borrower's own risk - as it isn't a blessed Cobb off-the-shelf tune). After not too long, there will be a map for tons of combinations based on lots of peoples unique circumstances and specific mod/tune combos.
AWD Addict,

What kind of time frame for this? What was typical for the Suby flashes....approximately?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 02:02 PM   #152
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddycane View Post
AWD Addict,

What kind of time frame for this? What was typical for the Suby flashes....approximately?
You mean until the community starts benefitting from more maps?

Last edited by AWD Addict; 01-06-2011 at 02:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 02:02 PM   #153
Christian.
Rep
Drives: 1994 Subaru Impreza Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedim View Post
We can work with any professional tuning facility that is capable of providing superior customer service to AccessPORT users. I will explain some of the interface details below.
Quote:

I will do my best to explain how things are structured with other platforms so you have a better understanding as to how the various interfaces may work once our AccessTUNER software is available.

AccessPORT (AP) - This is an advanced EMS reflashing device that will come with our current OTS (Off The Shelf) calibration offerings for common upgrade packages. This device is capable of much, much more and can be researched more here. As we refine our OTS calibration offerings, the updated calibrations are freely downloaded from our web site.

AccessTUNER Race (ATR) - Is our end-user software suite that will work on only your AP/vehicle. This software will allow you to datalog and view EMS data as well as generate custom EMS calibrations for your vehicle. The following is a link to the GTR ATR software. This DOES NOT MEAN that what we can do with the GTR can be applied to a BMW. The ECU logic, engine hardware, and other technical capabilities are ENTIRELY different, but this should give you an idea as to what ATR does for an individual AP users wanting to generate custom calibrations for themselves.

The software generally has the full capabilities as the ATP software suite, but it will only work on one vehicle. Where the ATP software can generate calibrations for every vehicle within the range of the supported vehicles. The Mitsubishi ATP works with the USDM EVO 8, EVO 9, and the various EVO Xs to date, just as an example.

AccessTUNER Professional (ATP) - Is our professional software suite intended for professional dyno tuning facilities. This software will allow a facility to datalog and view EMS data as well as generate custom EMS calibrations for every vehicle the software suite supports. The following is a link to the GTR ATP software. This DOES NOT MEAN that what we can do with the GTR can be applied to a BMW. The ECU logic, engine hardware, and other technical capabilities are ENTIRELY different, but this should give you an idea as to what ATP does for professional dyno tuning facilities wanting to generate custom calibrations for their customers.

Other ATP software can lock a calibration to a particular vehicle or leave it open for others (with a similar platform/hardware combination) to use. It is up to the tuning facility how they wish to manage their calibrations.

I hope this information helps. Please keep the questions coming and we will do our best to address all concerns and to educate all about how things AccessPORT will work. I will get back on later today and respond as time allows.

Take care,
Christian.

Last edited by Christian.; 01-06-2011 at 02:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 02:04 PM   #154
djn04
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is

Still wondering if this will work on a 2011 335is (w/ n54) and the DCT transmission? If not do you think it will be compatible in the near future?
Thanks.
Appreciate 0