E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Road bypass feature? (Calling DJhakim and other Idrive experts!)

01-06-2010, 07:45 PM   #1
Kilgore Trout
Chicks dig wagons!
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91
Location: Where you can see through the people, but not the air (i.e., Los Angeles!)

Road bypass feature? (Calling DJhakim and other Idrive experts!)

How do I tell Idrive nav that I want to bypass a particular road when it navigating to a destination?

Let's say, for example, that I ask Nav to take me to work. I go to route information, and it lists the each step along the journey. I would like to be able to eliminate a particular road, and have Idrive recalculate the route. So, for example, I might want to avoid a specific road that I know is a congested mess.

There is an option at the top of that window to select how many miles you are willing to go out of your way, but I can't figure out how to tell it which street I want to avoid.

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 08:28 PM   #2
Thunder Dump
That tickles
Rep
Drives: '09 328i E93 SGM/CR

Near as I can tell, it can't be done with the current software. The only two detour options are: the one you gave, where you can tell it to detour for a set distance, and the detour around a traffic incident, wherein the system will plot a course around a traffic advisory.

My Acura MDX detour function works as you're describing--where you can tell it to avoid certain streets, but does *NOT* have the function to avoid the current route for X miles then rejoin the currently calculated route. They both have their advantages and disadvantages and I'd love to have both at my disposal.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 09:02 PM   #3
Kilgore Trout
Chicks dig wagons!
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91
Location: Where you can see through the people, but not the air (i.e., Los Angeles!)

Sigh. Well, that is pretty damn frustrating.

I had an Acura too (TSX). I have to admit that the detour function never quite worked for me. I'd be at a light and tell it to delete a street, and if I started moving before the delete had occured (because the light turned green) it would recalculate the route and insert the deleted street right back in.

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 11:02 PM   #4
DJHakim
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i xDrive

Thunder Dump is correct. And if the traffic is detected by the TIS, then the Dynamic Guidance should direct you around it. That has **never** worked for me, though. Frustrating is right!!

You can force a detour by breaking up the trip into parts using the interactive map to select the specific road you want. If it is a regular route (like to work), create a multidest trip to work and then save the trip. Call up the saved trip as needed. Cludgy for sure.
E90 (2009 328xi): ZCP, iDrive, BMW Assist, PDC, Alarm, Shades, SG Metal [Ret]
E90 (2006 325xi): ZSP, ZCP, iDrive, BMW Assist, PDC, CA, Xenons, Shades, CrO3 Exhaust, TiAg Metal [Ret]
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 02:04 PM   #5
chemgeek
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 335/white-saddle/msport

The software I have loaded allows me to choose from three or four (I can't remember) alternate routes outside of the normal avoid tollraods, shortest route, etc.. I have not used this feature yet. That sounds kind of close to what you are asking.