E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > sirius retrofit require installation kit?

09-01-2012, 09:17 PM   #1
Rollo`
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i

sirius retrofit require installation kit?

I want to add sirius to a 2009 e90 with satellite radio pre-wire. I know I need the receiver but do I also need an installation kit? is that a bracket or what?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 12:32 AM   #2
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

No just the unit and get it coded to your car
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 10:08 AM   #3
Rollo`
Captain
Rep

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 12:35 PM   #4
reeltime
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by obert
No just the unit and get it coded to your car
He would need the Sirius retrofit kit along with the module and coding as well. The kit comes with the bracket, fan, and some screws.

Good luck

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 08:33 PM   #5
Rollo`
Captain
Rep

Ok...I got the reciever...now do I need a retrofit kit and is that all I need? Do I need some kind of additional trim piece?

I am searching like crazy but am getting different information. The DIY thread is from like 2006 so I'm not sure if it applies to a 10/2008 build of my2009.

Does anyone actually know for sure what I am going to need?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 08:47 PM   #6
Rollo`
Captain
Rep

OH great...I had an installer add the XD600/6 and he installed it underneath the flap in the trunk. After looking at the diagrams--is this where I have to install the Sirius receiver?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 07:37 AM   #7
reeltime
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo`
OH great...I had an installer add the XD600/6 and he installed it underneath the flap in the trunk. After looking at the diagrams--is this where I have to install the Sirius receiver?
Yeah. Once you get the retrofit kit and put it all together, it'll all screw it under the flap. After that, rearrange the MOST bus, get your car coded (dealership or yourself), and then just call Sirius to activate your radio.

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 07:21 PM   #8
Rollo`
Captain
Rep

Ok...since I have the XD600 where the sirius receiver retro fit kit goes is there any reason I couldn't remove the factory amp and install the sirius receiver in the factory amp spot?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 09:06 PM   #9
reeltime
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ok...since I have the XD600 where the sirius receiver retro fit kit goes is there any reason I couldn't remove the factory amp and install the sirius receiver in the factory amp spot?
I believe if you have the sat prep option the wiring is where you placed your xd600. Also, I wouldn't imagine the screw holes matching up in the factory amp location (dont take my word on that though).

Why didn't your installer just install the xd600 in the factory amp location? The xd600, if I'm not mistaken, fits perfectly into that spot.

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 10:45 PM   #10
Rollo`
Captain
Rep

That's odd because I definitely have sat prep...got a build sheet from the dealer....but I don't have any wires in that compartment under the flap in the trunk.

I'm not sure why he didn't...I should have specified where to put it but didn't think about it.

I'm going to try to diy it this weekend and see if satellite radio shows up without coding like it does for some people...if I can find the wires to connect to it. then I will sort out the actual installation later.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 05:12 PM   #11
Rollo`
Captain
Rep

Ok...in the interest of saving a future searcher some time: The sirius retrofit kit does NOT go under the flap that raises in the trunk. You have to take out the whole thing.

It goes under the part near the back seat. I pulled the whole thing out of the car and there was the spot for the sirius kit as well as the nicely wrapped wires for the satellite receiver.

I was asking if it goes on the black plastic area under the flap but I apparently didn't make that clear.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 05:27 PM   #12
dylim
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Also, I recall seeing a retrofit DIY exactly on cars not prewired, search the DIY section.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 09:13 PM   #13
reeltime
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ok...in the interest of saving a future searcher some time: The sirius retrofit kit does NOT go under the flap that raises in the trunk. You have to take out the whole thing.

It goes under the part near the back seat. I pulled the whole thing out of the car and there was the spot for the sirius kit as well as the nicely wrapped wires for the satellite receiver.

I was asking if it goes on the black plastic area under the flap but I apparently didn't make that clear.
Yeah man haha I thought you were talking about where I was talking about (towards the back seats). Guess not lol.. At least you found it. I just coded my car so I could have the sat option show up in the iDrive. All I need now is the module.

Good luck man.

Quick question though.. I've been thinking about adding an xd600/6 to my stock HiFi speaker system. What are your impressions of that? Are you using stock speakers..and if so, did the sound quality improve?

Just wondering before I shell out $500.

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 09:53 PM   #14
Rollo`
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92driva View Post
Yeah man haha I thought you were talking about where I was talking about (towards the back seats). Guess not lol.. At least you found it. I just coded my car so I could have the sat option show up in the iDrive. All I need now is the module.

Good luck man.

Quick question though.. I've been thinking about adding an xd600/6 to my stock HiFi speaker system. What are your impressions of that? Are you using stock speakers..and if so, did the sound quality improve?

It definitely plays louder but you have to carefully adjust the frequency settings. I have settled on 200 hz crossover point and also turn the gain all the way down on the speakers and quarter turn up on the under seats. Also there is a small frequency range that just seems to wreak havoc on those speakers. It is especially noticeable in certain songs--an example would be Jay-Z's Run this Town. It just distorts all to hell.

However, 95% of the music I listen to sounds much better. I can't stand it though so I have just ordered the BSW component set for the front doors. Hopefully I will get them this week and have a review up by next week.

Also when I had the XD600 added I added an Alpine MRP500 and a small JL Audio sub in a ported box...it is only an 8 inch sub but the ported box allows it to really put out some bass. It is nothing like a large sub but it is enough to give songs the punch down low that the under seats just don't do enough on....some songs just need to vibrate the mirrors--Smashing Pumpkins 33 for example.

Hey...where did you get the Sirius retrofit kit? I want to order one from someone who has it in stock.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 07:28 AM   #15
reeltime
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by e92driva View Post

Good luck man.

It definitely plays louder but you have to carefully adjust the frequency settings. I have settled on 200 hz crossover point and also turn the gain all the way down on the speakers and quarter turn up on the under seats. Also there is a small frequency range that just seems to wreak havoc on those speakers. It is especially noticeable in certain songs--an example would be Jay-Z's Run this Town. It just distorts all to hell.

However, 95% of the music I listen to sounds much better. I can't stand it though so I have just ordered the BSW component set for the front doors. Hopefully I will get them this week and have a review up by next week.

Also when I had the XD600 added I added an Alpine MRP500 and a small JL Audio sub in a ported box...it is only an 8 inch sub but the ported box allows it to really put out some bass. It is nothing like a large sub but it is enough to give songs the punch down low that the under seats just don't do enough on....some songs just need to vibrate the mirrors--Smashing Pumpkins 33 for example.

Hey...where did you get the Sirius retrofit kit? I want to order one from someone who has it in stock.
Yeah I know what you're saying. I just don't wanna get distortion and shit. Ill probably end up getting it and if I don't like it, return it. Do you get any distortion listening to the radio?

I haven't bought my retrofit kit yet but you could buy it from Tischer. They have it for $56 bucks or something like that. Only downside is that with shipping it comes out to about $70. So then you could just go to your dealer, pay $74.99 and have it right there in person. There are other places to buy it.. Just search the p/n on google and results should come up.

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 04:59 PM   #16
Rollo`
Captain
Rep

DISREGARD MY PREVIOUS REVIEW OF THE XD600 WITH STOCK SPEAKERS!!!!

I just realized today that there is a problem with my ancient ipod that is causing the distortion. Same exact songs, when burned to a CD as audio or mp3 files cause no distortion. Now I need to decide if I want to keep the BSW components.

Sorry about the misinformation....the stock speakers sound pretty good with the XD600 in my opinion... if I keep the BSW's I'll post up a comparison review in another thread.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 10:13 PM   #17
reeltime
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
DISREGARD MY PREVIOUS REVIEW OF THE XD600 WITH STOCK SPEAKERS!!!!

I just realized today that there is a problem with my ancient ipod that is causing the distortion. Same exact songs, when burned to a CD as audio or mp3 files cause no distortion. Now I need to decide if I want to keep the BSW components.

Sorry about the misinformation....the stock speakers sound pretty good with the XD600 in my opinion... if I keep the BSW's I'll post up a comparison review in another thread.
Haha sounds good man. Enjoy the new system.

Appreciate 0