E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > I wish iDrive were like this

11-02-2009, 02:06 AM   #1
cjava
Private
Rep
Drives: E90

I wish iDrive were like this

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of iDrive and wouldn't order a car without it.

But even with the refresh iDrive using Nuance's voice recognition technology coming soon, iDrive has become even more outdated with the release of Google's new mapping system on Android phones.

This device has real-time guidance, voice recognition (that probably actually works), satellite view, steet view, lane indicator overlays on top of street view, photos of your destination, and many other features. Just watch the video and you'll see what I'm talking about. And the service is free! This even makes my iPhone look antiquated.

I hope Harman is cooking up something impressive for the next gen iDrive.

http://www.bimmerfile.com/2009/09/30...-infotainment/
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2009, 07:12 AM   #2
suff
On the hunt for PSI
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

that is damn nice.. surely it must represent the GPS to come though, the days of maps are limited
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2009, 08:55 AM   #3
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

google confirmed they are working with apple to bring it to the iPhone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjava View Post
This even makes my iPhone look antiquated.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2009, 09:01 AM   #4
wakeboarder109
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: in High Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsimon View Post
google confirmed they are working with apple to bring it to the iPhone.
hopefully AT&T loses their contract with Apple and Verizon picks it up
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2009, 09:19 AM   #5
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

The current iDrive is capable of displaying satellite views, it is just not available in the USA yet.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2009, 11:07 AM   #6
Kilgore Trout
Chicks dig wagons!
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91
Location: Where you can see through the people, but not the air (i.e., Los Angeles!)

Don't forget that all those fancy features require constant connection to the net. At least at this point in time, there is no way to store that much data in the car nor is there any way to rapidly updated it.

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2009, 11:42 AM   #7
cjava
Private
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
Don't forget that all those fancy features require constant connection to the net. At least at this point in time, there is no way to store that much data in the car nor is there any way to rapidly updated it.
I agree with that -- to a degree.

Storage has become very cheap as of late, it's just that a lot of manufacturers choose small HDs to save costs (look at the one the current iDrive, or even the Xbox 360). A 500GB 2.5" hard drive is less than $100, and that's at non-bulk prices available to everyday consumers. Of course that kind of storage doesn't remotely compare to what's available in the cloud on Google's end.

Regarding the network connection, from what I've heard, the Android phone can pre-cache data after routing commences. With some sort of intelligent caching, combined with onboard HD storage and a faster 4G network in the future, that part of the equation should be taken care of.

With iDrive's semi-integration into Google search in the current gen, I hope they continue to head down that path.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2009, 01:09 PM   #8
ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of iDrive and wouldn't order a car without it.

But even with the refresh iDrive using Nuance's voice recognition technology coming soon, iDrive has become even more outdated with the release of Google's new mapping system on Android phones.

This device has real-time guidance, voice recognition (that probably actually works), satellite view, steet view, lane indicator overlays on top of street view, photos of your destination, and many other features. Just watch the video and you'll see what I'm talking about. And the service is free! This even makes my iPhone look antiquated.

I hope Harman is cooking up something impressive for the next gen iDrive.

http://www.bimmerfile.com/2009/09/30...-infotainment/
The new i drive in my car displays satellite views, recognises my voice without having to programme it and i can go online in the car to get photos of my destination if i wish......and its free for 3 years
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2009, 03:19 PM   #9
Kilgore Trout
Chicks dig wagons!
Rep
Location: Where you can see through the people, but not the air (i.e., Los Angeles!)

Quote:
I agree with that -- to a degree.

Storage has become very cheap as of late, it's just that a lot of manufacturers choose small HDs to save costs (look at the one the current iDrive, or even the Xbox 360). A 500GB 2.5" hard drive is less than $100, and that's at non-bulk prices available to everyday consumers. Of course that kind of storage doesn't remotely compare to what's available in the cloud on Google's end.

Regarding the network connection, from what I've heard, the Android phone can pre-cache data after routing commences. With some sort of intelligent caching, combined with onboard HD storage and a faster 4G network in the future, that part of the equation should be taken care of.

With iDrive's semi-integration into Google search in the current gen, I hope they continue to head down that path.

Personally, I will wait to see how all this goes down. I have googlemaps on my Verizon Blackberry and I've learned to respect that there will be times when I can't get a connection, or when googlemaps isn't getting the right data. The reliability of any system that doesn't contain onboard data is always suspect.

As for the onboard storage, I'd personally rather seem them keep the data to a reasonable size but go to solid state rather than an HD. I always worry that the HD will eventually fail.

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2009, 11:28 PM   #10
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

That's true, but one cool feature is the maps/directions to your route gets cached when you first set it up so if you go out of cell service along the way you're still fine (as long as there is a GPS signal).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2009, 12:28 PM   #11
Kilgore Trout
Chicks dig wagons!
Rep

Again, I'll wait to see how that works. the new andriod phones are not yet in wide release. Let's see how it all players out over the next year or so.

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2009, 11:10 PM   #12
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Very cool application. I like how it turns into "car mode" when docked.

I prefer a built-in GPS, but this is cool. I really like the traffic overlay the way Google maps does it. Color coded on the route itself is very intuitive. Actually, it would be nice if it displayed traffic info for all the streets in the map, not just those on a planned route -- i.e., like looking at a Google map online. It may do this, but wasn't on that video.
      11-03-2009, 11:36 PM   #13
souldriven
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4

why do you need all the satellite and photo BS? just look out the damn window. ;-)

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2009, 04:24 PM   #14
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

Because you can then recognise a junction at a glance.

To be fair, driving in the USA is far easier, cities in the Europe can be a nightmare, the nav often says "take a right in 100 metres" and you can have 3 rights all next to each other at funny angles and you're not quite sure which one to take, having a image of the junction come up with an arrow showing you which makes it alot easier.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2009, 06:11 PM   #15
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

It will one day.

The New Idrive is pretty sweet though.

I have the previous gen idrive, and still love it. Yes the GPS aspect could be better, but I would not order a car without it.
Appreciate 0