Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Discount tire fail.

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

07-14-2010, 12:02 PM   #1
michael1284
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp

Discount tire fail.

Had a new TPMS installed at discount tire. As I'm watching this guy try to work my tire off, it was apparent he was a newbie. He got lazy and only took the tire half way off and put the TPMS sensor on. A week later my TPMS light goes on again, so I take my rim off and can hear the new TPMS sensor rolling around inside. Because the guy got lazy and didn't take the tire off, there were still a piece of the old TPMS sensor INSIDE the wheel which probably broke the new sensor. See pic below. Third, top small piece does not fit into the open spots of the new TPMS. Fail.

At least the Store Manager there was cool, was really sorry and is taking care of it. Made one of the red shirt guys do it, whatever that means? (senior workers?)

P.S. Took it to discount tire b/c I'm getting the wheels re-done so it wasn't going to matter if they scratched it. Guess I should have known better :/

07-14-2010, 12:27 PM   #2
Misturrtinnie
Addicted.
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe AW

Damn that sucks man. At least they'll make it right. I needed the same thing done with my wheels. Guess I'm not going to discount tires. haha
      07-14-2010, 01:43 PM   #3
MKR_DmD
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 16 Jeep Cherokee

Discount Tire has never done me wrong. Plus they have a great reputation if they do mess something up.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 02:00 PM   #4
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

The manager made it right. So why does it make Discount Tires fail?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 02:10 PM   #5
michael1284
Colonel
Rep

Because the original guy was too damn lazy to take the entire tire off to ensure that the broken pieces were out. If you take out a sensor, see that its broken, and can't find the other parts, wouldn't you think that they might still be in the tire? it is sloppy work.

i did give credit to the store manager for doing a good job in taking care of it, but this isn't rocket science.
      07-14-2010, 02:21 PM   #6
autoaesthetica
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A tin can on boost

Sorry to read about the mishap. That is why everyone I know always uses a smaller specialized local place. Not to say discount tires doesnt specialize in tires.. For us its only around 15-20 dollars a wheel. They take extremely good care of the wheels and tires during mounting and installation.

Last edited by autoaesthetica; 07-14-2010 at 02:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 04:17 PM   #7
lpphreakx06
Professional Moose Racer
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: SG 335i E92 RIP + 2015 SS M3

I always wondered how the tpms looked inside.

BMW Dream Team PNW Chapter, member #1
|HP Autowerks | AR DESIGN | BMW PERFORMANCE | STOP TECH | Volk Racing| AMS | ARKYM
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 04:30 PM   #8
BoostLover99
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Soon to be '07 335xi

I've always liked DT; like you said, they make things right but sometimes you have to go back for a redo.

It would be nice to have things done right the first time, no matter what, but that just doesn't seem to happen in the automotive service industry. Or if it does, you pay out the nose for it.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 08:58 PM   #9
michael1284
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpphreakx06 View Post
I always wondered how the tpms looked inside.
haha same, that was the only cool part. on the other side of that circuit board was a shiny almost mirror like piece of metal that covers the entire backside of the sensor, end to end.
      07-15-2010, 08:56 AM   #10
fosuco
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i e90

I recently had a similar experience at Discount Tire. Instead of going with more runflats on my e90, I upgraded to a set of 19" TSW Nurburgring wheels in Matte Gunmetal finish with Continental DWS all-season non-runflat tires. Discount Tire's price was great, but the guy installing my new setup managed to scratch every one of the wheels with an air impact wrench. They didn't install hub-centric rings either, so I was left with a noticeable vibration at speeds greater than 50 mph.

I felt like a jerk asking for new wheels since the scratches on mine weren't that noticeable, but I told the manager I was unhappy with the scratches and he immediately agreed to order me a whole new set (with hub-centric rings this time). He installed them himself when they came in two days later and got the job done scratch-free. I think he even sprung for faster shipping, since the first time they ordered the wheels they took over a week to show up.

However, even with the hub-centric rings I'm still noticing vibration above 65 mph. I think this is because Discount Tire only balanced the wheels by hand (the one I went to doesn't have a Road Force machine). Instead of risking the gunmetal finish of my new wheels at Discount Tire again, I'm taking my car to Butler Tire this weekend for an on-car high-speed balancing (for which I was quoted $140).

While I agree that Discount Tire does have great customer service, I feel like the quality of their employees is a total crap shoot. I've decided that in the future I'll gladly pay more to do business at a tire shop that gets the job done correctly the first time (like Butler Tire).
Appreciate 0