E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Another one! Off to the Darkside....A7 vs 530D

11-09-2011, 05:49 AM   #45
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris100 View Post
I am eagerly awaiting pictures for the F30 interiors as I've seen the F10 and I have to say I am not impressed with it at all.
The F30 is available for configuration on the UK BMW web site now with pics of the interior also for viewing

I really like the interior of the new 3 series
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 05:49 AM   #46
sufchenko
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D SE

the A7 rear is an acquired look i feel and i will end up liking it in a few months. BMWs are BMWs you know what you get with regards to the quality, support, ride etc.
If you want to change then A7 is a good shout (or the new C-Class).

BTW..just realised that it's a hatchback! Wow (i am easily pleased)
      11-09-2011, 06:08 AM   #47
Beaky
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A6 (C7) S Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-FAST View Post
I know I will be classed as a pic whore but I have just been trawling the net to find a car with similar spec to 'mine' and here are some pics - same colour with nappa/alcantara interior - same wheels but the 19" version
That looks like Daytona Grey to me, not Dakota - Dakota (as you mention in the first post) is more of a brown/grey so make sure you are asking for the right colour.

I have just been through the same for my new A6 which I get next Friday - no more Daytona (the flake is made in japan and there is shortage I understand) so opted for Phantom Black instead, Dakota was too brown as was Havana Black and the Oolong grey was like a poor mans Carbon Black!

Here is a side shot of Dakota - sorry for the mahoosive pic!

Last edited by Beaky; 11-09-2011 at 06:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 06:21 AM   #48
kaishang
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330d

I wonder if Jason Statham will be using one of these in the ext Transporter movie. Perhaps with an extra large load and he can fold down the seats
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 06:49 AM   #49
Chris100
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport Highline Coupe

Quote:
The F30 is available for configuration on the UK BMW web site now with pics of the interior also for viewing

I really like the interior of the new 3 series

Doh, didn't realise that. Just had a look and it does look a lot better, although I would still like to see a completely different interior and dash for the coupe as retaining the dash from a saloon makes it feel less special to me. I'm hoping BMW really make the effort to make the two models standard apart not only from an exterior point of view but also with a individual dash just for the coupe/vert models.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 06:56 AM   #50
M3-FAST
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaky View Post
That looks like Daytona Grey to me, not Dakota - Dakota (as you mention in the first post) is more of a brown/grey so make sure you are asking for the right colour.

I have just been through the same for my new A6 which I get next Friday - no more Daytona (the flake is made in japan and there is shortage I understand) so opted for Phantom Black instead, Dakota was too brown as was Havana Black and the Oolong grey was like a poor mans Carbon Black!
Cheers for that, I will double check that!!

It is still spec changeable for a long time yet and I am arranging to visit the dealer soon to have a wander around their stock yard. I drove through the other week and they had just about every colour available in there, so am gonna get the swatches out and find my favourite colour.

I did think that particular car looked very 'grey' as I have seem quite a few test drive video's on youtube and all the cars on there seem to be in the grey/brown Dakota colour which I quite like.

I have also got to decide about the interior - virtually all the ones I have seen have the full 'Milano' leather which is quite a tough and grainy leather. My other option is to opt for the Nappa Leather with the Alcantara inserts which I also like, but would like to see in the flesh before ordering!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 06:56 AM   #51
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

Quote:
Doh, didn't realise that. Just had a look and it does look a lot better, although I would still like to see a completely different interior and dash for the coupe as retaining the dash from a saloon makes it feel less special to me. I'm hoping BMW really make the effort to make the two models standard apart not only from an exterior point of view but also with a individual dash just for the coupe/vert models.
I doubt that will happen. The models have to share so many parts to make them cost effective.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 07:14 AM   #52
Beaky
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Cheers for that, I will double check that!!

I have also got to decide about the interior - virtually all the ones I have seen have the full 'Milano' leather which is quite a tough and grainy leather. My other option is to opt for the Nappa Leather with the Alcantara inserts which I also like, but would like to see in the flesh before ordering!
That is strange, the 'standard' seats in the A6 are Milano and even Audi describe it as grained but the S Line seats are Valcona leather which is described as non-grained (or Nappa and Alcantara as an option). I'd have thought the A7 was the same.

Might be worth checking to see if the demo model had different seats for whatever reason.

Milano leather
– seat covers, head restraints and front centre armrest in Milano leather, which is fully penetrated with dye and lacquered
for excellent surface protection. The leather is extremely hard-wearing and durable, tanned without using chromium and gives a high-quality
impression with its fine, grained surface

Valcona leather – seat covers, head restraints, door trims and front centre armrest in Valcona leather, a high-quality material which contributes
to the elegance of the interior. A lacquered surface allows the material to breathe whilst the non-grained surface underlines the luxury of the A6.
Valcona leather is tanned without using chromium, dyed and uses non-fading colour pigments*

Rich.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 07:33 AM   #53
M3-FAST
England
Rep

Garage List
Yes, your correct - SE has Milano and S-Line has Valcona.

The car I test drove was an SE so had the more grained Milano leather.

I really need to see the interior of an S-Line with the Valcona leather although I am swaying towards the Nappa option. I quite like the idea of the Alcantara inserts and might add a bit more interest to the seats?

It's a shame that you can only get an all black S-line interior. I would have loved to see red leather in a grey car.

EDIT - just found a decent pic of the Nappa/Alcantara option......
Attached Images

Last edited by M3-FAST; 11-09-2011 at 07:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 07:50 AM   #54
Chris100
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport Highline Coupe

A friend of mine has the Leather/Alcantara seats in his TT and it is a very nice combination, I would steer well clear of the red leather as unlike the BMW red it is not a nice shade of red in the Audi's. I've seen several TTs and A5s with the red leather and it is terrible looking, and I am a fan of Red leather as I have it in my E92.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 08:14 AM   #55
jonw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 Comp Gran Coupe & X5 MSport

Garage List
How come there is such a long lead in time on the A7s compared to the 5s ?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 08:40 AM   #56
M3-FAST
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonw View Post
How come there is such a long lead in time on the A7s compared to the 5s ?
Don't know? The dealer already had a car on order which was build week 13

He said that once that is sold and a fresh order has to go in, it would take many weeks longer
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 08:43 AM   #57
jonw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 Comp Gran Coupe & X5 MSport

Garage List
I like the A7 looks a bit quirky than the usual Audi lookalikey A4,5 and 6s.
The 5GT I've ordered is only on a 8 week build.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 08:45 AM   #58
M3-FAST
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
A friend of mine has the Leather/Alcantara seats in his TT and it is a very nice combination, I would steer well clear of the red leather as unlike the BMW red it is not a nice shade of red in the Audi's. I've seen several TTs and A5s with the red leather and it is terrible looking, and I am a fan of Red leather as I have it in my E92.
Black is the only colour available in S-Line guise

Alcantara could be the way forward......
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 09:15 AM   #59
kaishang
Colonel
Rep

If I get one of these A7s it will be an SE. The idea of paying that much for something without a creamy beige interior and wood inserts is just nuts...
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 10:19 AM   #60
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

I'm pretty sure you can get different coloured seats if you go for the Audi exclusive option on the S-line. It does cost a fair wedge though. If you have the money then the silver/black silk nappa is very, very nice (black sides with off white centres).

As Chris100 has said. The red that Audi uses for it's leather is really quite horrible. The alcantara is a good choice, I take it that it's the perforated alcantara in the A7?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 10:40 AM   #61
M3-FAST
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
I'm pretty sure you can get different coloured seats if you go for the Audi exclusive option on the S-line. It does cost a fair wedge though. If you have the money then the silver/black silk nappa is very, very nice (black sides with off white centres).

As Chris100 has said. The red that Audi uses for it's leather is really quite horrible. The alcantara is a good choice, I take it that it's the perforated alcantara in the A7?
Yeah you can but a £5000 option!!

If you want the full extended leather it is a whopping £8670!!

Add on £2150 for exclusive carpets (YES for CARPETS ha ha!!) - work that cost out for a square yard of roll end

Yes the Alcantara is perforated - the sales guy has just got back to me and said he has a Daytona Grey TT fitted with the Alcantara/Nappa seats so I can see the exact combo albeit on a different car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaishang View Post
If I get one of these A7s it will be an SE. The idea of paying that much for something without a creamy beige interior and wood inserts is just nuts...
Creamy beige and wood!!! Not for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonw View Post
I like the A7 looks a bit quirky than the usual Audi lookalikey A4,5 and 6s.
The 5GT I've ordered is only on a 8 week build.
Thats why I like it Jon, slightly different and quite rare.

8 weeks is a good build time
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 10:48 AM   #62
Beaky
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Well, I now have mine and have to say I'm really impressed. Very comfy and loads of kit - the leather on the standard S Line seats is also very nice. just have a huge manual to work my way through now!

Crap Blackberry pics attached - I'll get some better ones when I have the camera
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 02:46 PM   #63
M3-FAST
England
Rep

Garage List
Very nice! Like it

Popped to the dealer on Friday, spec of mine now finalised....

3.0 v6 TDi S-line Quattro
Daytona Grey pearl finish paint
Black Nappa/perforated Alcantara trim
20" 5 multi-spoke alloys
Privacy Glass
Storage Pack
MMI Nav Plus
Telephone High Pack with Google Maps and in car wifi

Oh, and a long wait until next May comes on the standard options list!!! Lol
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 02:49 PM   #64
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Did you try out an E class Paul?
      11-14-2011, 02:53 PM   #65
kaishang
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Popped to the dealer on Friday, spec of mine now finalised....
l
How about the sunroof? How about the radar cruise control?

How about the sea of beige inside?!?!?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 03:43 PM   #66
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Very nice looking car but .... that dash looks far too busy for my liking. Whats with the date right in the middle of the display and why 2 speedos - one digital and one analogue?

I supposed I'm used to my "simple" 3 series dash
Appreciate 0