E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Dirt Lines/Streaks Under Doors

11-15-2014, 01:39 PM   #1
BMB063
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Dirt Lines/Streaks Under Doors

Hey all. I have had my e92 for about 3 months now and have noticed that under the doors there are dirt streaks after it rains or the roads get dirty. I noticed this before giving it a good was and wax, but it still happens even after a good coat of Collinite 845 was applied.

I realize this is a white car so something like this will be more obvious, but I would still find it surprising since it looks like the water has a couple areas it drains from under the doors, weird. Any tips or pointers would be great!

Also, any advice for cleaning the exhaust tips. Towards the edges, its a bit worn/black. What is the best way to shine it up? I have some metal polish, but not sure what techniques to use. Thanks!

YouTube | INSTAGRAM | My New Website: Shifted-Perspective.com | DM for discounts on: LUX ANGEL EYES or BPM TUNES
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2014, 05:25 PM   #2
PinnacleAutoCT
Rep
Drives: 04 S60R 6MT: 3" DP, 1" sways

You need something that will repel stains better, and even then it may happen still, just to a lesser extent and the stains will come off easier. Try using a sealant like Optimum's Optiseal, or have a coating applied like CQuartz, Optiguard.

For the tips, just soak them in some APC to loosen any grime up, wash them, then get to polishing with a MF towel and your metal polish. If you have very stubborn carbon buildup you can use ultra fine steel wool along with the metal polish, just polish lightly as this is an aggressive method.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 09:13 AM   #3
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Check the bottom of the door on the inside, sounds like you have an extra amount of the Cosmoline (sp?) that is applied at the factory to lubricate hinges, etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 02:22 PM   #4
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Mine does the same thing when it rains. It seems that that is where the water drains, so I'm not sure if there is a way around it.

2013 135is DCT Carbon Black Metallic

Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 05:02 PM   #5
BMB063
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks everyone. I will be doing a more thorough cleaning of the seals and doors. Hopefully that will help. I asked around and there are others who have similar issues on other cars as well.

YouTube | INSTAGRAM | My New Website: Shifted-Perspective.com | DM for discounts on: LUX ANGEL EYES or BPM TUNES
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 04:08 PM   #6
BMB063
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinnacleAutoCT View Post
You need something that will repel stains better, and even then it may happen still, just to a lesser extent and the stains will come off easier. Try using a sealant like Optimum's Optiseal, or have a coating applied like CQuartz, Optiguard.

For the tips, just soak them in some APC to loosen any grime up, wash them, then get to polishing with a MF towel and your metal polish. If you have very stubborn carbon buildup you can use ultra fine steel wool along with the metal polish, just polish lightly as this is an aggressive method.
Thanks for the tips. I used your idea for the exhaust and it came out great! Here is a before and after pic.

(The before pic was when I just cleaned and polished it before using the steel wool.)

Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 11:12 PM   #7
SHEEDI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i - Sport PKG

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [8.50]
for exhaust I like Borla exhaust Polish works great

Appreciate 0