E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Lame Speakerphone

10-24-2007, 02:03 PM   #23
BretNJ
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi Graphite sedan

I've had not one complaint with my calls when I use the speakerphone. I've had speaker to speaker calls as has been mentioned and everything is clear. Strange that there's such a difference from car to car. I couldn't ask for a better speakerphone in mine.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 03:39 PM   #24
tintivilus
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
2003 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by saildoc View Post
When I use the bluetooth hands free speaker phone on my 335i the other person sounds great over the car's speakers, however my callers often report poor sound quality. It seems to be better when I sit in the car with motor off, so there may be some issues with background noise. I am surprised at the poor quality of the mic-is this a mic specific issue or is it the noise reduction softwear acting up. I wonder about splicing into the system and mounthing a nice directional mic from a hands free wired head set somewhere up near the mirror? I use T-mobile with a samsung t627.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BretNJ View Post
I've had not one complaint with my calls when I use the speakerphone. I've had speaker to speaker calls as has been mentioned and everything is clear. Strange that there's such a difference from car to car. I couldn't ask for a better speakerphone in mine.
You know, given the conflicting reports I wonder if there's some stupid mechanical glitch at work here, like the microphone not always lined up over the holes in the panel or damage to the microphone module.

In my experience microphones can be very sensitive to mechanical issues with their enclosures; broken or poor seals especially can alter the acoustics of the microphone assembly to the point of rendering the module worthless. The difference between crystal-clear audio and garbled gibberish can be as trivial as a gasket not squeezed tightly enough to seal as well as it was expected or designed to.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2007, 11:21 AM   #25
Huncowboy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5, '19 750i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretNJ View Post
I am starting to think it is not the car's fault. Me and my wife have a 335i C and a 330i. we both have a Samsung SGH 809 on T-Mobile. It is a horrible phone. It was already very though to sync with the cars but it is doable.

As far as hands free, there is no way we can have a conversation with each other when we are in our cars both on the BT. Every seconds word or half a sentence is just gone. I am thinking the phone is picking up some extra noise and fights with the car's microphone. Not sure. I am certainly not an audio expert far from it.

It would be interesting to see if a few of you would post what quality you are getting on what phone (BMW approved?), BT or wired, and on what carrier. Especially those guys who have good quality.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2007, 09:25 PM   #26
JNMACE
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i Coupe

The speakerphone in my car is really well received by the people I speak to. I have used a Cingular 8525, HTC TyTN (yes, I am a geek and bought both ), BlackBerry 8300, 8800, and now a BlackBerry Curve 8320 and all have been EXCELLENT for pairing with my car and enjoying completely clear conversations. It must have something to do with the OP's phone(s).

I also have a Nokia E61i on my other line and it cannot work with my car at all. It pairs but does not connect to the vehicle after the initial pairing. Different phones have different capabilities. For the car, stick to BlackBerry, or Motorola if you don't need a work phone.
Appreciate 0