E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Koni Sport shocks vs Koni FSD shocks

02-18-2010, 10:14 AM   #1
Sam_335i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 335i

Koni Sport shocks vs Koni FSD shocks

Any one with experience with these 2 products. I am trying to compare since it seems like the FSD's at most places are on back order.

Especially would like to know how they match up with the Eibach Pro Kit springs and to a lesser extent the Koni Sport Springs.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 11:37 AM   #2
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

The Sports allow you to adjust the rebound so you have a bit more control over the performance but they will ride stiffer than the FSDs. The FSDs will have a smoother ride and automatically adjust under cornering so you aren't always riding on stiffer shocks. They are both solid setups, it really depends on what you are looking to get out of the shocks.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 04:02 PM   #3
ModBargains.com
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_335i View Post
Any one with experience with these 2 products. I am trying to compare since it seems like the FSD's at most places are on back order.

Especially would like to know how they match up with the Eibach Pro Kit springs and to a lesser extent the Koni Sport Springs.
The KONI Adjustable Front and Rear Shocks/Struts are are adjustable, which means that you can influence the behavior of the car to meet your preferences (ride comfort, handling balance, etc.). It also means that wear can be compensated. (However, you will probably never need it.) They are designed for a specific car or even special driving conditions. A KONI is not a simple copy of the original but a tailor made design to get the best handling and ride characteristics from the vehicle.

The KONI FSD are original equipment on Lamborghini Gallardos and the KONI FSD (frequency selective dampers) are a must for fine tuning your BMW's ride, and handling capability. KONI FSD adjusts damping automatically, so there is no need to manually adjust the shock absorber. These shocks replace OEM shocks and actively controls stiffness, and dramatically improves handling.

Pair these shocks up with some Eibach Pro Lowering Springs which provide a slightly more aggressive and raked stance than your stock suspension while still maintaining a comfortable ride. On average Eibach Pro Lowering Springs will lower your vehicle 1.2 - 1.8 inches, providing for a lower center of gravity and improved handling. Pro Springs feature more control than that of the OEM springs, but are still comfortable for daily use. Eibach Pro Springs are an excellent choice for street and occasional track use.

Let me know if you have any further questions I'd me more than happy to help you out!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 04:44 PM   #4
FrankiE90
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Krooked Sk8board

here's a link to start your search.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ght=FSD+review

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ght=FSD+review
      02-18-2010, 06:52 PM   #5
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i MT

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
Never had experience with FSD, but a long time user of Koni Yellow sport dampers. Great product. BTW, the rears for the e90 (Yellows) are only internally adjustable, i.e., must be removed from the car.

Danny
Arctic/Blk Leather/Alum.Trim/MT/ZSP/Sunshades/Blk Lines/M3 Illuminated Knob/Alcantara Performance Wheel/M-E-Brake Handle/Euro Fog Switch/Koni Yellows/H&R Sport Springs/19" VMR V718's w/PS2 Tires/M-Tech Body Kit/Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Bimmian Interior Bulbs/OEM Eye Glass Tray/SSK/Alcantara Boot/Split Armrest/OEM Dual Rear Power Outlets/Rear Ashtray Delete/OEM Alum. Pedals/Osram 6000K/Brex Rings/LED Side Markers/BMS Power Box
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 02:51 AM   #6
gizmo335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 SBM E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.42]
I have FSD's sitting here at my house (just arrived). I'll be installing them along with the H&R sports very soon. I'll give you a good review of them if you an wait. I read every thread I could get my hands on about H&R's/eibachs/Koni yellows/FSD's. I am someone who really worries about my ride ending up too bumpy/rough so I won't tell you that this setup rides well if it doesn't. But the pictures I saw of the eibach pro's were not much lower at all. The H&R's are a PERFECT drop.

Do you have an E90/92? The eibachs are a good drop on the E90.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 03:01 AM   #7
Robben@ltbmw
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 Space Grey

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
^ i'm pretty sure you can't match the koni FSD with H&R sport. they are designed only for OEM springs or eibach pro
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 09:37 AM   #8
twinship
Booosted
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbbplanet View Post
^ i'm pretty sure you can't match the koni FSD with H&R sport. they are designed only for OEM springs or eibach pro
I've heard that too, and always wondered if it's just marketing hype...

Anybody know?
2008 BMW 335i//Jet Black on Black Dakota Leather//Steptronic, Sport Package, Premium Package, Logic7 Sound, Aluminum Trim, iPOD & USB, Cobb S1+ Sport, ER FMIC, ER CP, K&N Filter, H&R Sport Springs, Koni Yellows, ECS Tuning spacers (F-10mm/R-15mm), Akebono pads, OEM Rear Aero Spoiler, OEM Sport Diffusor, Cyba 3.8" Tips, OEM Aluminum Pedals, M-tech Steering Wheel, Clear Reflectors

Last edited by twinship; 02-19-2010 at 11:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 12:13 PM   #9
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

You can run the H&R Sports with the FSDs, that would not be a problem.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 12:20 PM   #10
Ron@Modbargains
United_States
Rep
Drives: 996TT/ae86

Well Koni's official stance is that they are designed for the OEM springs. However they do work with the H&R sports springs perfectly (We've done so many many times), as they do with Eibach whom is a close partner of Koni. The rates are similar. H&R Race would be a no-no however.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 12:24 PM   #11
twinship
Booosted
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron************ View Post
Well Koni's official stance is that they are designed for the OEM springs. However they do work with the H&R sports springs perfectly (We've done so many many times), as they do with Eibach whom is a close partner of Koni. The rates are similar. H&R Race would be a no-no however.
Good to know, thx.

I'll be installeing H&R Sports next week and was thinking of adding the Konis down the road.
2008 BMW 335i//Jet Black on Black Dakota Leather//Steptronic, Sport Package, Premium Package, Logic7 Sound, Aluminum Trim, iPOD & USB, Cobb S1+ Sport, ER FMIC, ER CP, K&N Filter, H&R Sport Springs, Koni Yellows, ECS Tuning spacers (F-10mm/R-15mm), Akebono pads, OEM Rear Aero Spoiler, OEM Sport Diffusor, Cyba 3.8" Tips, OEM Aluminum Pedals, M-tech Steering Wheel, Clear Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 04:15 AM   #12
gizmo335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.42]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbbplanet View Post
Man, don't scare me like that, lol....
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 05:05 AM   #13
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
Choices are clear, either go with manufacturer specs or not. I'm not saying it does not work/couldn't work, I just would not do it.

As always, it's a personal preference thing.

Danny
Arctic/Blk Leather/Alum.Trim/MT/ZSP/Sunshades/Blk Lines/M3 Illuminated Knob/Alcantara Performance Wheel/M-E-Brake Handle/Euro Fog Switch/Koni Yellows/H&R Sport Springs/19" VMR V718's w/PS2 Tires/M-Tech Body Kit/Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Bimmian Interior Bulbs/OEM Eye Glass Tray/SSK/Alcantara Boot/Split Armrest/OEM Dual Rear Power Outlets/Rear Ashtray Delete/OEM Alum. Pedals/Osram 6000K/Brex Rings/LED Side Markers/BMS Power Box
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 03:12 PM   #14
YvesD
Lamininist
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Carbon Black X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo335i View Post
Man, don't scare me like that, lol....
Do you like your car to feel anchored down on crests and abrupt undulations?

This is where Yellows score over FSD's, the latter being just a wee bit too soft IMO.

Dont go into it thinking you are going to get a magic carpet ride in all circumstances and you wont be dissappointed.

Yves
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 04:48 PM   #15
06Arctic
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i Arctic Metallic

Garage List
Cool

Quote:
I have FSD's sitting here at my house (just arrived). I'll be installing them along with the H&R sports very soon. I'll give you a good review of them if you an wait. I read every thread I could get my hands on about H&R's/eibachs/Koni yellows/FSD's. I am someone who really worries about my ride ending up too bumpy/rough so I won't tell you that this setup rides well if it doesn't. But the pictures I saw of the eibach pro's were not much lower at all. The H&R's are a PERFECT drop.

Do you have an E90/92? The eibachs are a good drop on the E90.

Yes please post your review
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 08:33 PM   #16
sajakh
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

I have the KONI FSDs with stock springs and I love it. I have had it for about 2 months. I like the way it rides, better than stock but really does handle in a more firm yet controlled manner. When going around circular ramps, the rear doesn't skip when it hits a bump like stock did. When I go over railroad tracks or potholes, it doesn't crash like stock did but seems to absorb the bump and move on, never unsettled. The car also feels more "tied down" at high speeds(>80mph).

I was told my the KONI rep that the FSDs for the 335i were specifically designed for the stock springs. My feeling that if you want to use Eibach Pro or H&R sports for looks, you won't get the proper feel of the FSDs as they need stock wheel travel.

I have also heard on other car forums for the e39 540s/M5, cooper mini, etc of reduced FSD shock longevity with lowered cars. IMO, get the FSD only if you don't mind stock sport suspension height. If you have non sport suspension, it is probably OK to use lowering springs. YMMV.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 11:39 PM   #17
gizmo335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.42]
Believe me...I'm not thinking that it will have to be this perfect (Ferrari feel) ride.

I'm expecting the ride to be a little more rough and bumpy...that's what comes along with lowering anything.

I've owned MANY cars up till now and I've lowered a few of them (including a Dodge Ram).

I know that many said that Koni's were designed as a stock replacement and/or to go with the eibach pro. But that's a inconsistency right there anyway. The H&R's aren't much lower than the eibachs. If the shocks last a little less time with these springs than they would have with stock....then so be it...if I end up keeping this car long enough....I'll probably go with CO's anyway...
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 11:59 PM   #18
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
Height is not the only factor. Spring rates are different between the eibach pros and the h&r sports.

Pro kits have springs rates comparable to oem.

Danny
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2010, 05:32 AM   #19
YvesD
Lamininist
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajakh View Post
I was told my the KONI rep that the FSDs for the 335i were specifically designed for the stock springs. My feeling that if you want to use Eibach Pro or H&R sports for looks, you won't get the proper feel of the FSDs as they need stock wheel travel.
Agree 100%. Question is though, which springs? SE or M Sport......

Are you still on Run flats too?

I have found Eibach, FSD's and RFT's dont mix very well.

Much better on the Vreds I have on now though.

Yves
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2010, 10:33 AM   #20
gizmo335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.42]
Well, we'll see how it goes. I've read from a few on here that the H&R sports go well with the OEM shocks so I would think that having the FSD's would just be that much better. All I know is the info I got from the vendors (that have first hand experience and many reviews) is that if you want your ride to remain as comfortable as possible when lowering with the H&R sports..then go with the FSD's. I know that spring rates play a part as well but I'm not going to be able to tell that much difference anyway if I were to test all these different setups (shocks/springs). As long as my car rides smooth through all speeds (and I'll be able to constantly test all speeds being that I can do it legally on the autobahn any time I please), then I'll be happy with it. If the shocks need to be replaced a little sooner than if I had gone with the yellows...that's fine as well...
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2010, 11:36 AM   #21
YvesD
Lamininist
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Well, we'll see how it goes. I've read from a few on here that the H&R sports go well with the OEM shocks so I would think that having the FSD's would just be that much better. All I know is the info I got from the vendors (that have first hand experience and many reviews) is that if you want your ride to remain as comfortable as possible when lowering with the H&R sports..then go with the FSD's. I know that spring rates play a part as well but I'm not going to be able to tell that much difference anyway if I were to test all these different setups (shocks/springs). As long as my car rides smooth through all speeds (and I'll be able to constantly test all speeds being that I can do it legally on the autobahn any time I please), then I'll be happy with it. If the shocks need to be replaced a little sooner than if I had gone with the yellows...that's fine as well...
gizmo, comforts not the issue.

FSD's are weak on rebound with lowering springs, they float and bounce at high speed. Fact.

Yves
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2010, 12:47 PM   #22
gizmo335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.42]
Well, that's not what I was told by some others on here that have experience with the FSD's/sports. So like I said, we'll see if it's TOO bouncy then...don't have much of a choice now since that's what I spent my money on.....
Appreciate 0