E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > PROcede Installed, SHIV, I need help...

06-11-2007, 05:27 PM   #1
E90ice
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

PROcede Installed, SHIV, I need help...

Installed the PROcede without any problems in about one hour. No Check Engine Lights.
Went for a test drive. Car seemed fine with lost of power, but due to traffic, I didn't floor it.
After about 30 minutes of driving, I try to pass the car in front of me, in 3rd gear, I received the Check Engine Light: "Engine malfunction, power reduced."

I pulled over, stopped and restarted the car. No CELs. I started driving, and after 2 minutes the "Engine Malfunction, power reduced" light came one again.

I will try to read the code right now.
Please help!

Last edited by E90ice; 06-11-2007 at 05:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2007, 05:30 PM   #2
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
If the code came on some time after it was installed (and while you were just cruising around), it is likely that you got wire #6 and #7 crossed up during installation. This can be confirmed by reading your code. If it has anything to do with richrun/leanrun, misfire or o2 sensor malfunction, then that is indeed what happened.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2007, 05:48 PM   #3
scottp999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 4runner SR5

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [9.00]
Terry, If you deleted your reply on your own, I think that was a good judgement call. You can be a very good contributor 99% of the time, but some comments like the one that was posted just before Shiv's are just not productive and don't contribute to the community.

Hats of to you if you self moderated.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2007, 05:49 PM   #4
E90ice
Banned
Rep

Shiv, the CReader reads NO code. I plug it in and it shows "----". This is while I have the engine running and the CEL on.

What can I do?

Should I go back and open everything up and check the wires 6 and 7?

Oh by the way , after my first test drive, I heard something like a knock coming from underneath the car. I don't know if that helps.

Terry stay out of this thread!!!!!
      06-11-2007, 05:51 PM   #5
scottp999
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [9.00]
I know to clear codes you are not supposed to have the engine running, just the key inserted which is ignition on. Maybe try letting it cycle through 4 times with just the key inserted/engine not running. Then shut down, walk away with the key for 10 minutes and then come back and try starting it again to see if the CEL is cleared.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2007, 05:52 PM   #6
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Ah ok... you'll only get readable codes if the "service engine soon" light comes on, not the reduced power light. Pretty simple to diagnose but i need more info:

1) Did the code/reduced power mod pop up while cruising or under full boost?
2) Do you have any other modifications on your car (bov perhaps?)
3) Are you running premium fuel (or could have someone else filled it up with regular fuel).

-shiv
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2007, 05:54 PM   #7
CASHBY
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335 "done up"

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
If the code came on some time after it was installed (and while you were just cruising around), it is likely that you got wire #6 and #7 crossed up during installation. This can be confirmed by reading your code. If it has anything to do with richrun/leanrun, misfire or o2 sensor malfunction, then that is indeed what happened.

Shiv
Shiv has this been concluded as the reason of this?

are there any actual markings on the wires to show which slot they go into after pulling them from the ECU?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2007, 05:58 PM   #8
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEA 3 View Post
Shiv has this been concluded as the reason of this?

are there any actual markings on the wires to show which slot they go into after pulling them from the ECU?
Yesirree... the yellow/white wire that goes into the #6 slot has the number "525" printed on it. The yellow/white wire that goes into the #7 slot has no number on it. Without knowing that, it is possible to put them back in the wrong slots and cause all sorts of o2 sensor related codes. All easily solvable though...

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2007, 05:59 PM   #9
scottp999
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiv@Vishnu View Post
Ok.. here's the info you need to unjumble the wires

The yellow wire that went into pin 10 (which gets connected to green PROcede loom) has the number 1324 stamped on it.

The yellow wire that went into pin 29 (which gets connected to white PROcede loom) has the number 494 stamped on it.

The yellow/white wire that went into pin 6 on the small ecu connector (which gets connected to one of the yellow PROcede looms) has the number 525 stamped on it.

The yellow/white wire that went into pin 7 on the small ecu connector (which gets connected to the other yellow PROcede loom) does not seem have any number stamped on it (at least on the few cars I looked at).

There... this should get you back to stock.

Who loves ya?

cheers,
shiv
from: http://www.vishnutuningforum.com/for...hread.php?t=28
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2007, 05:59 PM   #10
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks Scott!

shiv
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2007, 06:00 PM   #11
E90ice
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Ah ok... you'll only get readable codes if the "service engine soon" light comes on, not the reduced power light. Pretty simple to diagnose but i need more info:

1) Did the code/reduced power mod pop up while cruising or under full boost?
2) Do you have any other modifications on your car (bov perhaps?)
3) Are you running premium fuel (or could have someone else filled it up with regular fuel).

-shiv
Yes, my bad,

It was "Engine Malfunction, reduced power" on my iDrive. The half full engine icon.

1. I wasn't under full boost. I was about 40% throtlle. Not too agressive.
2. No other modifications.
3. Premium fuel from Shell and Chevron ONLY.
      06-11-2007, 06:03 PM   #12
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90ice View Post
Yes, my bad,

It was "Engine Malfunction, reduced power" on my iDrive. The half full engine icon.

1. I wasn't under full boost. I was about 40% throtlle. Not too agressive.
2. No other modifications.
3. Premium fuel from Shell and Chevron ONLY.
Ok... just check all 4 contacts (make sure the male/female connectors are pushed in all the way under the tape). And also double-check the #6 and #7 wire locations as per above. That's pretty much it. If the problem is still there, plug in the bypass plugs and see if the problem is still there. That will tell us where to look next.

shiv
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2007, 06:05 PM   #13
CASHBY
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yesirree... the yellow/white wire that goes into the #6 slot has the number "525" printed on it. The yellow/white wire that goes into the #7 slot has no number on it. Without knowing that, it is possible to put them back in the wrong slots and cause all sorts of o2 sensor related codes. All easily solvable though...

Shiv
well shit.... that explains a lot.

Now would that just pop up every now and then or would it come on a lot? the "reduce power" code that is?

also is it related to the DCS malfunction code at all?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2007, 06:09 PM   #14
E90ice
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Ok... just check all 4 contacts (make sure the male/female connectors are pushed in all the way under the tape). And also double-check the #6 and #7 wire locations as per above. That's pretty much it. If the problem is still there, plug in the bypass plugs and see if the problem is still there. That will tell us where to look next.

shiv
Shiv, what is the bypass plug?
      06-11-2007, 06:10 PM   #15
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEA 3 View Post
well shit.... that explains a lot.

Now would that just pop up every now and then or would it come on a lot? the "reduce power" code that is?

also is it related to the DCS malfunction code at all?
I really depends on what wires are installed wrong. Miswiring the #10 and #29 wires in the big connector, in any way, would through a code (and reduced power mode) immediately. Miswiring #6 and #7 wont through the code immediately. But it will eventually come and show up as a proper "Service Engine Soon Light" that would need to be cleared. That should be the first dead giveaway.

shiv
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2007, 06:11 PM   #16
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90ice View Post
Shiv, what is the bypass plug?
The two connectors (1 black and 1 grey) that came plugged into the harness when you opened the box. You had to unplug them before you plugged in the PROcede computer.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2007, 06:12 PM   #17
e.n335
Austria
Rep
Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottp999 View Post
I know to clear codes you are not supposed to have the engine running, just the key inserted which is ignition on. Maybe try letting it cycle through 4 times with just the key inserted/engine not running. Then shut down, walk away with the key for 10 minutes and then come back and try starting it again to see if the CEL is cleared.
Hi scott, this seems not to be true for all the Creaders. The user manual of mine says clear you have to have the engine running ...

Cheers
Eugen
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2007, 06:14 PM   #18
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugen.niederreiter View Post
Hi scott, this seems to be not true for all the Creaders. The user manual of mine says clear you have to have the engine running ...

Cheers
Eugen
In the 335, all code clearning should be done with the ignition power on but with the engine not running. Reading can be done with the engine running or not running.

shiv
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2007, 06:17 PM   #19
CASHBY
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I really depends on what wires are installed wrong. Miswiring the #10 and #29 wires in the big connector, in any way, would through a code (and reduced power mode) immediately. Miswiring #6 and #7 wont through the code immediately. But it will eventually come and show up as a proper "Service Engine Soon Light" that would need to be cleared. That should be the first dead giveaway.

shiv
ahh... I wish we knew this back in the LA tune day in FEB. remember my car was throwing that code and we thought it was an 02.

make sense. now... every now and then ill be driving the car will shake and reduce power will go on... but when turning hte car off it goes away.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2007, 06:19 PM   #20
e.n335
Austria
Rep
Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009

Quote:
In the 335, all code clearing should be done with the ignition power on but with the engine not running. Reading can be done with the engine running or not running.

shiv
So the user manual of the Creader ( older version ) is wrong ?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2007, 06:21 PM   #21
scottp999
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [9.00]
Quote:
Hi scott, this seems not to be true for all the Creaders. The user manual of mine says clear you have to have the engine running ...

Cheers
Eugen

Yep, the user manual is wrong when applied to the 335. This is one of the things I saw when researching shiv's and this forum before the install. I got to learn from somebody else's research. Just passing it on. I could not get two codes cleared while running (335 and another one), but as soon as I did the procedure once with just the ignition on, I started the car and they were cleared.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2007, 06:22 PM   #22
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So the user manual of the Creader ( older version ) is wrong ?
For the BMW, perhaps. I'm sure there are other cars that can have their codes erased while running. The BMW may even be one of them. But I've always found it work better/quicker if the engine isn't running. Just make sure the ignition power is on all the way.

Of course, this only works with actual "Service Engine Soon lights" not the half-engine light.

shiv
Appreciate 0