E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Wheel Spacers

01-05-2013, 05:00 AM   #1
blackrabbit
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d F30 M Sport

Wheel Spacers

I have a few questions re spacers....... They may be straight forward but was curious.

I have just fitted 15mm to the front of the car, but added 20mm to the rear some time ago. The stability seems much improved and wondered:

1, Does having spacers on one axle only adversely affect handling?
2, Does the extra span on the axle which is only 40mm max really make that much difference to stability?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 05:17 AM   #2
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Oooh vehicle dynamics... The black art to which no matter what anyone tells you there is no formula. Just go on feel. If you enjoy the planted Ness and the stance then enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 09:11 AM   #3
ssc330d
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: Le Mans Blue 330d M Sport

Garage List
Sorry - I know this doesnt directly answer your questions, but I thought I should mention.

Insurers see it as a handling modification (what I was told). So I would tell them - if you havent told them - you wont be covered.

Now regardless of whether it improves the handling or not, they will still no doubt want you to part with some extra cash for the pleasure - if they will insure you at all!!

My previous insurers were Hastings Direct - got a fantastic renewal quote, but as I was going to add spacers to mine, I thought that I had better mention it - they wouldnt insure me at all - as it was a "handling modification".

As I wanted to stick with the spacers, it took alot of looking to find an insurer who would cover me at all or without wanting another £300 in some cases - rediculous!