E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > I have KW V3s... now some (noob) questions

03-27-2014, 04:28 PM   #1
ThatRWD
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

I have KW V3s... now some (noob) questions

Hello All.

I bought the car with KW V3s on it from a previous owner, i've never had a lowered car before. I believe the front is 2 inches lower and the rear is 1 inch lower. It's a 2007 E92 w/ the M-Sport Suspension Package according to the VIN, according to the seller its just a sport package. Car is running PS2 tires. 255/35/18s rear and 225/40/18s up front.

I know nothing about lowered cars, other than I like the way it looks and it improves handling which I really look forward too.

Questions:
1. What settings are best for my car. It is one of my daily drivers and the roads arn't the best in the DC/Northern VA/Maryland Area. I can tolerate roughness but I drove a B8 A4 or maybe it was an S4 with audi sport struts/shocks and it went right up my ass, and it hurt, and I was just going from the road into the parking lot near the dealership (not a pothole or anything). I do like tight turns without the car tilting too much. I hate tilting.

2. How are the KW V3s? What is the general consensus on them ?

3. What does a noob need to know about a lowered car, thing I need to watch out for and avoid etc. I just saw another post about someone in NJ and salt was their concern. I want to keep the car for the rest of it's life without unnecessary issues.

4. How long do KW V3s normally last.

5. Other things I should know/You want to mention?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 10:58 AM   #2
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

1. the setting that are best for your car are the ones you like the best. nobody can tell you what you like. you can fiddle with them to see how it changes the ride/handling quality, and decide which settings you like best.

2. they are toward the mid to upper end of consumer-level coilover kits. in the KW hierarchy, it goes: V1, V2, V3, Clubsport.

3. with a lowered car, you will need to watch your approach angles carefully, so you don't scrape the front of your car. Also be mindful of large bumps/dips that will cause you to bottom out or scrape. it's mostly common sense. if you feel that you are scraping too much, you can raise the car a bit.

4. I have no idea. KW's are a top tier brand, so they should last a decent amount of time (5 years+ ??)

5. the V3's are double adjustable (separate adjustments for both rebound and compression). you may want to read up on what that means as far as affecting ride quality and handling. For the most part, once you figure out where rebound works well, you would only be adjusting the compression knob to affect ride quality.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 11:41 AM   #3
ThatRWD
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

4. How many miles ? I'm not going to be driving it that much. Would they last for 100k ? Performance is going to degrade I'm sure, but how long until they reach BMW Sport strut levels.
Appreciate 0