E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > 2010 335xi 17k miles

07-04-2012, 04:32 PM   #1
valk07
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

2010 335xi 17k miles

I am looking to trade in my vehicle and it shows accident damage on its carfax(no rebuilt or salvage), autocheck shows none. How much does that hurt my resale or trade in value? I am told by a local dealer that no true BMW enthusiast would buy my 335xi because of the carfax.
Is this true or is he blowing smoke?

Its a 2010 335i xDrive with 17k miles and is in pristine condition. As far as I know the accident was minor and still has warranty until Oct. 2013.

Options include M-sport(wheels/rims, steering wheel, shifter, aero kit), Navi, manual, ipod/usb adapter, premium package, cold, comfort, premium black leather, alloy trim, and premium logic7 sound.

I just don't want to get ripped on a trade if and when it comes to it.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 09:21 PM   #2
ThreePedAlways
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
Are you purchasing from a BMW dealer?
Does the Carfax specify where on the vehicle the collision occurred?

Equipment level sounds nice, but I would definately want to know more about the accident. Figure out if the work was done by a good shop, etc.

Just a bumper replaced...probably ok. Airbags popping would make me very nervous.

If your really set on the car, negotiate hard and get someone reputable to inspect for repair quality.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 09:53 PM   #3
valk07
United_States
Rep

Actually the 335xi is mine and I am looking at possibly trading it. I wasn't aware of the accident before I bought it and the dealer(Audi dealership) did not disclose it to me at the time. Its my fault for only looking at the autocheck, but im furious with them atm. Carfax doesn't give much info on the accident. I had it inspected by a BMW dealer after I got it.

The local dealer I mentioned earlier is non-BMW. So my question is, how much less can I expect for my vehicle on a trade-in to a dealer? 2k or maybe more?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 10:28 PM   #4
ThreePedAlways
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
Ah, I understand now...
Did the inspection by the BMW dealer reveal anything related to the accident?

Is the accident the reason for wanting to get rid of the car? If it drives ok, you won't "realize" your loss unless you sell it.

I don't know how long ago you purchased the car, but I would at least express some displeasure with the dealer you bought the vehicle from! Let the buyer beware, unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 11:18 PM   #5
valk07
United_States
Rep

The inspection found nothing wrong.

It drives and handles great. Love the car. The only reason is because I was looking to trade it in for something a little cheaper, and then buy my wife a vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 08:36 AM   #6
Trooper9009
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 XI coupe M sport

I spoke to one BMW dealer and asked him what would be the difference between a trade in car with and without accident and he mentioned 1K to 1500. So find out what your car is worth and then take this amout off of it . Did you find the car that you plan to buy after trading it in?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 02:21 PM   #7
Soliditude
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by valk07 View Post
Actually the 335xi is mine and I am looking at possibly trading it. I wasn't aware of the accident before I bought it and the dealer(Audi dealership) did not disclose it to me at the time. Its my fault for only looking at the autocheck, but im furious with them atm. Carfax doesn't give much info on the accident. I had it inspected by a BMW dealer after I got it.

The local dealer I mentioned earlier is non-BMW. So my question is, how much less can I expect for my vehicle on a trade-in to a dealer? 2k or maybe more?
If your car's title was unaffected by the accident, then it will not hurt your actual value of the car - Only cars with Salvage/Rebuilt, etc. titles get a cut-down in pricing, but if that's not your case, then you can sell your car as you normally would, and the accident record will be up to the buyer himself. If the title doesn't indicate it, chances are that no one will really know, because it wasn't significant enough. The dealer himself, looking at Carfax or the other internet thing--and if they actually notice an accident record--will probably low-ball you for it, but I wouldn't worry if you're selling privately or if the accident never shows up on Carfax (most dealers use that).
      07-06-2012, 12:51 PM   #8
valk07
United_States
Rep

Probably a cheaper 135i with more mileage etc.
Appreciate 0