E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Dealers and Remaps

04-20-2007, 05:12 PM   #1
Cafe.Racer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d Touring

Dealers and Remaps

This is such a noob question I'm actually slightly embarrased to ask, but...

How are UK dealers and BMW UK with remaps?

Haven't got the car yet (320d e91), but I'm already thinking of remapping - do any dealers offer remaps? I know some VAG dealers do. PM if you like.

Everyone I know that I've spoken to is really cagey about remaps on bimmers, talking about how the dealers update code as a matter of course. I can live with that, getting reflashed afterwards seems like no big deal.

I can't live with a dealer being "funny" servicing a remapped motor, I can't live with stories of ECU's linking to somewhere in Munich each time they're serviced and getting the owners in the proverbial. Are dealers enthusiasts that understand and tolerate "that sort of thing", or do they object to the point of spitting blood on their brogues?

You might notice this is not a warranty type question, I'm aware of all that and have never had an issue on previous cars. All non-BMW though.

I really would appreciate some background help on this one.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2007, 04:14 AM   #2
ZiM
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

well the remap doesn't leave any flash references or timestamps or any of that kind of stuff, the worst i can imagine unless they are actively looking is that it might get overwritten...

we all know with regards to the warranty theres nothing really to worry about, and i highly doubt the dealership would kick up much of a fuss...
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2007, 06:55 AM   #3
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: X5 g05

Garage List
Mike @ DMS reckoned some dealers actually don't mind/like them when it comes to resale.

RE: Warranty, if i) They are undetectable (as DMS say they are) and ii) DMS will reflash if your dealer overwrites and iii) DMS will warranty anything your dealer won't fix.... sounds too good to be true?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2007, 04:51 PM   #4
peppernick
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4 vert

Quote:
warranty anything your dealer won't fix.... sounds too good to be true?
Not as straight forward as many might think. People see the word 'warranty' but never observe and digest the small prints. A warranty is only as good as the person writing it, so double check what he wrote, in detail.

Quote:
They are undetectable
Re-maps are only as 'undetectable' as how far your dealer, or more specifically BMW want to spend time and money to look for it. If your car is still drivable, a quick drive will hint it's not standard. Put it on a dyno and the pattern of the power curve and figures will almost tell all. If they really want objective evidence, they can download the engine map and decipher the binary codes. Takes time and effort, but it's all there

However, it is very unlikely the will go hunting for evidence of a re-map. It's too time consuming and expertise requiring. BMW dealers in the UK have neither of them.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2007, 07:17 AM   #5
Cafe.Racer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d Touring

I must admit that I find it interesting when people state that a non-switchable map is undetectable Not much point in paying for it then (no need to correct me, I know what they actually mean).

I couldn't find anyone that offers switching/boost adjustment on BMW maps - does anyone know anyone?

A good point about the DMS warranty, is it listed anywhere?

I'd wondered about using a Steinbauer P-Box, as you can obviously take it off when it goes in.

I suppose what I originally should've asked was "Are the dealers actually that bothered?"
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2007, 08:00 AM   #6
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: X5 g05

Garage List
Peppernick - you are right of course, what I should have said was effectively undetectable. A dealer I think would struggle to say the warranty was invalid because the car felt quick..... and to read and understand the binary as I understand it isn't something most dealers would be able to do. In the real world if this was an issue i) Why wouldn't we be reading horror stories on here and ii) Why did you get one done
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2007, 11:21 AM   #7
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
Can I ask a dumb question here?

If you get a remap and then later the car is at the dealers and they apply a software update (as they have done with my MINI and Z4, without actually telling me), are they basically overwriting the remap?

Does anyone know if its dealer or BMW policy to always apply the latest software update when the car is in for service, if the update happens to fix bugs etc?
      04-22-2007, 11:58 AM   #8
peppernick
First Lieutenant
Rep

They commonly do, so if your car is re-mapped you have to tell them not to touch the ECU. If you're concerned about letting the cat out of the bag, the person who did your original map should be able to re-upload the modified map for you FOC as many of them do.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2007, 03:11 PM   #9
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
I thought that was the case.
      04-23-2007, 04:38 AM   #10
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4 Beemer View Post
Can I ask a dumb question here?

If you get a remap and then later the car is at the dealers and they apply a software update (as they have done with my MINI and Z4, without actually telling me), are they basically overwriting the remap?

Does anyone know if its dealer or BMW policy to always apply the latest software update when the car is in for service, if the update happens to fix bugs etc?
If BMW do overwrite it I believe DMS do the remap again for free

They don't update software unless they absolutely need to because it takes ages.

They have to leave the car in sleep mode with the diagnostic kit connected and let it update itself. The process can take several hours and if anyone so much as opens a door it's back to sqaure one.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2007, 04:34 PM   #11
F31-340i
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Touring

See some official BMW inside info from their servicing CD (TIS).

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2007, 05:00 PM   #12
peppernick
First Lieutenant
Rep

What else would you expect them to say ....... lol

Next page will read ..... 'only buy tyres from authorised BMW dealers' .....
      04-27-2007, 05:14 PM   #13
F31-340i
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Touring

Maybe, but don't automatically expect warranty action if they find out. Its pretty clear the official line is "warranty game over" if its been modified. Dealers themselves may take a sympathetic line if you are a good customer, as at the end of the day its BMW GB that pass on warranty issues/costs to BMW GmbH, and hence dealers get paid to fix them (I think this is right) - hence the dealer could pass on warranty claims without direct loss. To answer the OP it is a risk you should be fully aware of when tuning a brand new motor that comes with a rather useful 3 yr warranty.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2007, 05:41 PM   #14
peppernick
First Lieutenant
Rep

Yep, you pay your money and make your informed choice. Some choices are straightforward and safe, some are rather more interesting and rewarding; all depends on one's approach to car ownership and tolerance threshold if and when things go wrong.