E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > DMS re-map 335d- Only £1000!!!!

03-20-2007, 05:19 PM   #1
snawaz
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Black BMW M4

DMS re-map 335d- Only £1000!!!!

Spoke to Mike from DMS today. Said he had re-mapped the 335d last week and details and a write-up would be in next months BMW Magazine. I wanted to clarify a few things with him and generally was very happy with his response but, when I asked about price he quoted me £850+vat, that's nearly £1000. I mentioned E90POST and he said there's a 25% discount if you come down to Southampton or 10% discount if he came out to you. That's an outrageous price if you ask me.

I also asked him if he would do me a printout of the re-map, to which he replied he wouldn't. I must say I found this a little surprising, so I said I wanted the printout to show my friends, hoping an excuse might pursuade him to do a printout. He said he would but it would cost me another £350.

I feel like i'm being taken for a ride with these 2 responses. What do people think?

I also spoke to Simon from E-map who quoted less than half the price of DMS.

Last edited by snawaz; 03-21-2007 at 02:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2007, 05:37 PM   #2
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Maybe we could organise a group remap at UK4 if enough 335d's are up for it? Viv could negotiate a big group discount again?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2007, 05:39 PM   #3
ZiM
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

like i've mentioned before, the exact procedure for 100% success with the 335d is yet to be determined... a lot of the ecus are still being killed.

i think its better to wait until the proces is fullproof before deciding to risk your 35(+) grand car on the procedure... i for one am definately going to wait until simon at e-maps is happy to do it, at the end of the day its the same equipment, just different overheads causing the price difference...
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2007, 05:48 PM   #4
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by snawaz View Post
Spoke to Mike from DMS today. Said he had re-mapped the 335d last week and details and a write-up would be in next months BMW Magazine. I wanted to clarify a few things with him and generally was very happy with his response but, when I asked about price he quoted me £850+vat, that's nearly £1000. I mentioned E90POST and he said there's a 25% discount if you come down to Southampton or 10% discount if he came out to you. That's an outrageous price if you ask me.

I also asked him if he would do me a printout of the re-map, to which he replied he wouldn't. I must say I found this a little surprising, so I said I wanted the printout to show my friends, hoping an excuse might pursued him to do a printout. He said he would but it would cost me another £350.

I feel like i'm been taken for a ride with these 2 responses. What do people think?

I also spoke to Simon from E-map who quoted less than half the price of DMS.
Just checked - DMS quoted me £795 plus VAT for my 530d with the same discounts a year ago. So this seems in line with their pricing.

I'm suprised about the dyno printout though. I would have expected this as part of the service, otherwise how do you know what you have bought.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2007, 05:50 PM   #5
snawaz
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiM View Post
like i've mentioned before, the exact procedure for 100% success with the 335d is yet to be determined... a lot of the ecus are still being killed.

i think its better to wait until the proces is fullproof before deciding to risk your 35(+) grand car on the procedure... i for one am definately going to wait until simon at e-maps is happy to do it, at the end of the day its the same equipment, just different overheads causing the price difference...
Simon sounded like a stand-up guy. Very good advise, and said he would only do it when he felt it was safe to do so. He asked me to phone him back in a week or two for progress.

We didn't discuss discount, but i'm sure he would come down on his initial figure and certainly as a group re-map we would get a really good deal.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2007, 05:55 PM   #6
snawaz
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
Just checked - DMS quoted me £795 plus VAT for my 530d with the same discounts a year ago. So this seems in line with their pricing.

I'm suprised about the dyno printout though. I would have expected this as part of the service, otherwise how do you know what you have bought.
This is what I thought. He said "I gaurantee you'll like the difference". But like you say without the printout how do you know what you are getting.

I'm gonna wait for Simon at E-map.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2007, 11:28 AM   #7
Cafe.Racer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d Touring

Probably a really old question, but a search didn't really help me:

How are BMW Dealers/BMW UK with remaps and warranty claims etc?

I don't suppose any Dealers might offer remaps (I know some VAG dealers do)?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2007, 12:55 PM   #8
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: X5 g05

Garage List
When I emailed mike about 535d DMS he said it varies amongst dealers - some like some don't want the cars with it on.

It is apparently undetectable by dealers anyway.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2007, 02:04 PM   #9
red355
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: RS4 Avant V8

Garage List
Quote:
That suggests that the 335D brain is different to the 330D...

is that true?

Past¦E92 335D Evolved (but still dull) ¦ Boxster S ¦ E46 328!SE ¦ E36 325! coupe ¦ E30 325! sport ¦ MINI Cooper S
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2007, 02:10 PM   #10
ZiM
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

yup, different brain, apparently the only sure fire way to remap em at the mo is physically "chip" them, i.e. soldering and all that jazz...

no ta...
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2007, 02:47 PM   #11
Cafe.Racer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d Touring

Quote:
no ta...
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2007, 02:57 PM   #12
peppernick
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4 vert

DMS is charging the amount because so far, they are one of the successful re-mappers of the 335D; hence capitalising on it. Others like ZiM has explained, are facing some uncertainties with ECU loosing irretrievable data. I spoke to Simon of E-Maps as well as he confirmed the same. The 335D will be cracked, give Simon a few more weeks. He has done several re-maps for people I know and they vouch for the quality of his work, at half the price of DMS too.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2007, 03:19 PM   #13
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by beauforty View Post
Maybe we could organise a group remap at UK4 if enough 335d's are up for it? Viv could negotiate a big group discount again?
I've spoken to both Mike Cooper at DMS & Simon at e-maps about organising a group re-maps at one of our meets.

Mike was willing to give around a 30% discount (from £699.13 to £500) at UK2, but the lack of 'real' demand stopped that happening.

Here's the info I knocked up at that time (September 06- the 335i & d were not around at that time).

I managed a 17% discount for our meals at the local Thai restaurant in Hilton, Derbyshire for UK3...so...I'll do my best for a group re-map, ok!

Viv

Appreciate 0