E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Picking up this car Saturday... Opinions?

02-18-2013, 12:16 AM   #1
Mautofied17
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Competition xDrive

Picking up this car Saturday... Opinions?

So I'm most likely picking up this car Saturday, if all goes well. What do you guys think?

Here is the listing: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=766710

And here is the CarFax: http://www.carfax.com/viewEmailRepor...3D&language=en

I've already got a good bit of parts on order... BMS Oil Catch Can, BMS Chargepipe w/ Tial BOV, BMS Methanol Injection Kit, professionally smoked LED taillights, LED trunk and license plate lights, gloss black PlastiDip (for the chrome trim), black BMW badges, LED angel eyes, Laser Interceptor Dual Laser Jammers, Passport 9500xi, I'm sure I'm forgetting some parts. Any suggestions on additional parts?

I'm looking to run low 12's. RB turbos will come, in time.

Any suggestions on HID's for the headlights and foglights? Wanting to go with 6000k.

Also, any suggestions on a clean mounting kit for the 9500xi?

Thanks for all the help in advance!

Square 826M 20" Wheels, Dinan HAS, Dinan Midpipe, Dinan Axle-Back Exhaust, Dinan 10/12mm Spacers, SST Valve Controller
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 12:22 AM   #2
f82george
Private First Class
Armenia
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

this car has zenon headlights already . good luck the car looks good
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 12:25 AM   #3
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five

Garage List
2007 BMW  [7.00]
tune+e85 should equal a low 12 second 1/4 mile. add meth and that is forsure a low 12 second car.

if i were you i would see what the car does now. looks like it could be quick already
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 12:37 AM   #4
Mautofied17
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUCCI_GEVO View Post
this car has zenon headlights already . good luck the car looks good
I'm looking to change to a 6000k bulb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrift4wd View Post
tune+e85 should equal a low 12 second 1/4 mile. add meth and that is forsure a low 12 second car.

if i were you i would see what the car does now. looks like it could be quick already
That's what I was thinking. A walbro pump would probably be a good upgrade, as well.

Square 826M 20" Wheels, Dinan HAS, Dinan Midpipe, Dinan Axle-Back Exhaust, Dinan 10/12mm Spacers, SST Valve Controller
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 11:05 AM   #5
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Assuming you have a JB4?

We have HID Fog Light kit specifically for BMW's. You car should already have xenon headlights.

IF you want to change the headlight bulbs we do have options for that also. I would not recommend ebay bulbs as they are prone to blow the stock ballast.

Hit me up with any questions.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 12:11 PM   #6
Mautofied17
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
Assuming you have a JB4?

We have HID Fog Light kit specifically for BMW's. You car should already have xenon headlights.

IF you want to change the headlight bulbs we do have options for that also. I would not recommend ebay bulbs as they are prone to blow the stock ballast.

Yes, the car has a JB4, FMIC, DP's, Muffler Delete, and DCI's.

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 01:02 PM   #7
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickStroke6.0 View Post
So I'm most likely picking up this car Saturday, if all goes well. What do you guys think?

I've already got a good bit of parts on order... BMS Oil Catch Can, BMS Chargepipe w/ Tial BOV, BMS Methanol Injection Kit, professionally smoked LED taillights, LED trunk and license plate lights, gloss black PlastiDip (for the chrome trim), black BMW badges, LED angel eyes, Laser Interceptor Dual Laser Jammers, Passport 9500xi, I'm sure I'm forgetting some parts. Any suggestions on additional parts?

Any suggestions on HID's for the headlights and foglights? Wanting to go with 6000k.

Meth + E85 with the G5 ISO should give you what you want.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 01:11 PM   #8
JStang
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: FDB M3 CS

Quote:

FBO +E85 will equal 11's if you can launch. My FBO PTF E45 tuned 335i ran 12.1 at 118.56 with a 2.1 60' time.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 07:07 PM   #9
Mautofied17
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
Assuming you have a JB4?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
Meth + E85 with the G5 ISO should give you what you want.

Mike
Hey guys, I see that you are both vendors. I will be PM'ing you guys shortly for some pricing on all the parts I have listed above plus a VRSF exhaust. Looking for some good deals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStang View Post
FBO +E85 will equal 11's if you can launch. My FBO PTF E45 tuned 335i ran 12.1 at 118.56 with a 2.1 60' time.
I wouldn't think traction/launching would be an issue since it's an AWD car. I'm only worried about the extra weight and drivetrain loss slowing me down.

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 07:39 PM   #10
GetSomeE92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Space Gray E92

Quote:
Yes, the car has a JB4, FMIC, DP's, Muffler Delete, and DCI's.
With those mods you'll definitely be in the low 12's in the 1/4 mile. I only have a JB4 G4 board and a DCI and I am in the low 12 range on a 40% E85 blend. (slip in the sig)
      02-18-2013, 07:54 PM   #11
Mautofied17
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetSomeE92 View Post
With those mods you'll definitely be in the low 12's in the 1/4 mile. I only have a JB4 G4 board and a DCI and I am in the low 12 range on a 40% E85 blend. (slip in the sig)
I'm hoping so. I'm just scared the drivetrain loss and added weight is going to hurt me significantly. I guess we will see! After all the parts are installed, I plan on taking it directly to my local track's test 'n tune.

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 08:03 PM   #12
GetSomeE92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Space Gray E92

Quote:
I'm hoping so. I'm just scared the drivetrain loss and added weight is going to hurt me significantly. I guess we will see! After all the parts are installed, I plan on taking it directly to my local track's test 'n tune.
I'm sure the drivetrain can handle it. Pre-load everything with a brake boost before you launch and you should be fine.
      02-18-2013, 08:25 PM   #13
BMWM.D.
Stupid Idiot
Rep
Drives: E90 335i & 6th Gen ZL1

You know....I'm probably the minority on this around here, but I'll say it anyway. I'm just not big on buying "someone else's hotrod". Over the years I've seen a lot of pretty hacked-up modified BMW's. For every clean, tasteful and carefully modded car I come across, I probably see 5 that are poorly done. Just because a car has a nice list of mods doesn't mean they were done properly. I'm not saying that's the case with this particular car, just throwing out there what I've seen in general.

I also don't like buying a pre-modified car just because you never know how it's been treated. Possibly a lot of hard miles, which is something to think about if you plan to push the stock engine hard with upgraded turbos, etc.
      02-18-2013, 08:38 PM   #14
Mautofied17
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post
You know....I'm probably the minority on this around here, but I'll say it anyway. I'm just not big on buying "someone else's hotrod". Over the years I've seen a lot of pretty hacked-up modified BMW's. For every clean, tasteful and carefully modded car I come across, I probably see 5 that are poorly done. Just because a car has a nice list of mods doesn't mean they were done properly. I'm not saying that's the case with this particular car, just throwing out there what I've seen in general.

I also don't like buying a pre-modified car just because you never know how it's been treated. Possibly a lot of hard miles, which is something to think about if you plan to push the stock engine hard with upgraded turbos, etc.
Based on what I've read, these motors are pretty bulletproof with just simple tuning. They were designed to be beat on. I really like how this car is setup, and I would spend about the same amount of money for this car in stock form. It was owned by a site vendor (AutoCouture Motorsports), so I'm guessing the parts were probably installed correctly.

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 08:44 PM   #15
Madill21
Private
Rep
Drives: '08 335i - BMS DCI, JB4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D.

This was also my first thought when OP started the thread. I'm surprised you were the first to say it. There is a reason there aren't many (if at all) 75K-100K mile bimmers that have been modded heavy.
A lot depends on for how many miles it has been modded and which mods were done at what time. And carfax may be clean or something but it doesn't mean the owner hasn't had to changed out multiple parts due to wear.

Most ppl don't sell a FBO n54...they part their car out.
So why is this guy selling it with all aftermarket parts on it. Would just devalue the car to anyone who doesn't want a modded car.

Just my 0.02 cents. I was weary buying my 08 n54 with 47K miles. Bc it was used and I didn't know how previous driver treated the car even tho it has always been completely stock.

Hell for 23,000 I'll sell you my 08 335i with iDrive, CA, adaptive cruise. And I have 50K miles.
Has only ran JB4 G4 with DCI for 3,000 miles. PM if you'd like, would include tune and intake. Then you can mod it whatever way you want.

2008 335i - JB4 / BMS DCI / Premium Package / Sport Package / 6AT
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 08:50 PM   #16
BMWM.D.
Stupid Idiot
Rep
Drives: E90 335i & 6th Gen ZL1

Quote:
Based on what I've read, these motors are pretty bulletproof with just simple tuning. They were designed to be beat on. I really like how this car is setup, and I would spend about the same amount of money for this car in stock form. It was owned by a site vendor (AutoCouture Motorsports), so I'm guessing the parts were probably installed correctly.
I've never seen an N54 bottom end failure, but I'm talking more about keeping the oil clean, making sure it's warm before really laying into it -- that kind of thing. The 15k oil service interval is a joke on this motor, but a lot of people follow the guidelines. I think it's the main reason we were seeing a lot of cam bearing ledge wear and vanos failures. It's even more important on a modified car, as I'm sure you know.

If you really like how the previous owner set everything up, then you're saving a ton of money vs. doing it yourself. I'd just take a close look at the mods before you lay out the cash.
      02-19-2013, 09:30 AM   #17
JStang
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: FDB M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post
I've never seen an N54 bottom end failure, but I'm talking more about keeping the oil clean, making sure it's warm before really laying into it -- that kind of thing. The 15k oil service interval is a joke on this motor, but a lot of people follow the guidelines. I think it's the main reason we were seeing a lot of cam bearing ledge wear and vanos failures. It's even more important on a modified car, as I'm sure you know.

If you really like how the previous owner set everything up, then you're saving a ton of money vs. doing it yourself. I'd just take a close look at the mods before you lay out the cash.
You bring up some very good points. I would buy my own car if I knew the previous owner treated it as well as I do. I don't even get out of D (6AT) until the temps get up to around 190 then it's manual mode until I shut it down.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 01:04 PM   #18
SubzeroVR4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3/F85 X5M

OR...maybe the car was taken care of. Sometimes the modded cars are generally babied and pampered because the owner knows how the car operates and takes more pride in his possession than the avg joe who keeps the car stock, doesn't know about proper warm up time and only washes/vacuums the car once a year.
'21 Civic Type R
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 01:19 PM   #19
apme123
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 Honda S2000

I would avoid it, it most likely suffered frame damage even if the carfax doesnt list it. Carfax does show an accident, Look for a different one
      02-19-2013, 01:20 PM   #20
shadow191
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 Volvo XC90 R-Design

I saw that car a while back when I was looking. It originally was owned by a guy from Autocouture, so hopefully nothin was hacked up. You could always just call them up and ask. I called them up right before I picked up an E92 335 since they did a lot of the work on it.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 01:30 PM   #21
Mautofied17
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apme123 View Post
I would avoid it, it most likely suffered frame damage even if the carfax doesnt list it. Carfax does show an accident, Look for a different one
Frame damage? How do you figure that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow191 View Post
I saw that car a while back when I was looking. It originally was owned by a guy from Autocouture, so hopefully nothin was hacked up. You could always just call them up and ask. I called them up right before I picked up an E92 335 since they did a lot of the work on it.
Yeah, I contacted the previous owner. He informed me about the accidents and said it was a pretty awesome car. So I'm thinking its a go.

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 02:33 PM   #22
Beemw335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

I find its the opposite, people who know nothing about cars and leave them stock are USUALLY the ones that never maintain their cars until a serivece light comes on, they could care less about waiting for oil temps to heat up.
But then again, if some idiot owned the car and tuned it then its even more trouble, which is why you should only own this car out of warranty if youre the original owner, or you know how the previous one treated the car.
Appreciate 0